Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Any Canadians import from the US? Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Canadians import from the US? Warranty?

US prices are much lower, particularly for used cars right now (looking at a 1 year old CLS).

Will I be able to get warranty service in Canada for my Car?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

You'll have to ask your dealer, i think they go with what the canadian warranty not the american...i.e. Americans can replace more under warranty then Canadians (I know...I took a cdn benz to a dealer in the states they fixed everything under warranty..allignment, light bulbs, peeling arm rest (MB Canada is refusing to fix it...second time bloody hell), the aluminum trim, the wood trim (canada refused these two aswell))....just be ready to fight for everything. Most common question i get is does it make sense to do this? its not even canadian...best response i've given...top of my voice, but damn did it work...."Does it make sense to buy a f****n $140,000 car to have the trim fall off? does it make sense that i get better service accross the border, and those cars are cheaper!, does it make sense that you have just lost a customer? GOOD BYE!!" the next day we get a call saying they are very sorry for the inconvenience however we can't do anything about it, told them to take the cars back good bye. Went to another dealer and they didn't care they just said somethings need to be built right and this wasn't sorry, here's a loaner car, would u like coffee? or a shuttle home? THATS IS SERVICE

Contact the dealer from a different phone number and ask them how they will treat the car..oh and if they give u some b.s. about how the cars are different...ask them to point out the differences in writing (They won't dare go that far unless they are 120%) they may argue about it not having daytime running lamps but you can turn it on on the US cars, be ready to fight...all i have to say...good luck!

Old 09-23-2006, 09:57 PM

Ummm, yeah, maybe I'll just buy a lexus
Old 09-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

don't u dare!!!...lol...they are good cars but you don't get good driver feed back. I drove my friends LS 430, its so numb compared to my dad's S 500..but the cars are good. Drive both and then see what car you want (ES v E, IS v C etc...) if u want an SUV get the RX

off topic... Hermant S.....Hermant Singh?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM

Yeah, I hear you on the S class vs LS.

But were it not for the beauty of the CLS, I'd probably pick the GS over the E class (other than the E55 of course), and I'd definately pick the IS over a C class.

But the CLS is just gorgeous!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
MB Canada Inc, the Canadian distributor, has a dealer advisory out about cars imported from the US, and it's not good news. I don't have the details but I can give you some advice. Your local Canadian dealer can give you the real story (maybe).

To begin with, a one-year old vehicle imported into Canada has to be on the list of eligible vehicles posted at http://www.riv.ca. If you look at that site, you'll find that MB is the ONLY manufacturer not to post a list of specific models that meet Canadian requirements with or without certain modifications. MB has taken the line that every single import has to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

You would have to contact a dealer (sorry, nobody else will do) to get a letter of eligibility, which has to be issued by MB's head office in Toronto. That costs money. At the border, there will be 6% duty, with 6% GST added on top of that. Then, when you get the car across the border, it has to be taken to a dealer for inspection. MB Canada Inc gets $500 for that on top of whatever the dealer charges. Then, if any modifications are required, they have to be done by an authorised dealer and who knows what that will cost and how many MBCI will say are necessary.

On top of that, MBCI has said there will be no goodwill repairs on US imports and no wear and tear items under warranty. I think claims are limited to the lesser of the benefits offered in either country.

Why is MB taking such a pissy stance? To protect the dealer network. The Canadian dollar has gone up almost 40% against the US dollar over the last few years. The Canadian distributor can't drop prices without alienating existing customers. A new CLS 550 is $68,975 in the US and about $US84,300 in Canada. That's a difference of over 15 grand.

MB is not alone in having significant dollar discrepancies between US and Canadian prices. The situation affects pretty well every imported car, from a Honda Fit to a Porsche Carrera. Various manufacturers have said that you can't compare prices across the border, because base specfication levels are different, but they're just blowing smoke. Various Canadian brokers are making quite a good living by buying used, on demand, at the US auctions and selling locally. You could find one of them or follow my advice: buy a used something else. You could save some grief and MBCI will be happy, which I'm sure is their goal.