Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

E 300d

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 300d

First I'd like to say hello as I'm new here, I also know about the search feature but haven't had any luck with this though.

I Found this site on TDR as I'd posted a question about the above vehicle. I'd like to know what I should look for in the way of problems for a mid 90's to late 90's E 300D. Thinking of buying one in the spring when I have my truck paid off.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 12-10-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E300 TurboDiesel
There are a few sticky points on the 1996-2001 E300D. The major issue are the "spring perches" for the front suspension. These have been known to rust badly in climates where road salt and high moisture are prevalent factors. It can not be readily determined simply by looking, you have to scrape off the sealant around the welded areas of the perches and look very closely. Have a Benz dealer do this for you if you want to save some time and grief.

Other issues that are really more maintenance issues include:

bad alternators, glow plug replacement, sticking heater valves, rattling sunroof, "clicking" seat supports and failing seat electronics.

I'm sure there are others I've forgotten, but this is all that I can remember right now. Though the later '90s E classe has its issues, it is still a very reliable automobile.

Personally, I'm looking for a late '80s E classe diesel. The '87 had a fairly robust inline 6 turbo and the repair parts thed to cost less. Also fewer electronic controls makes for easier modification.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Car you're thinking of is a W210