Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

what is the asterisk for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
what is the asterisk for?

hi all,

i have noticed on some mercedes, generally where it states the model number (i.e. e350) there is an asterisk next to it.

what does that asterisk stand for?

thanks
meek
Old 01-18-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see you're in the DC area.

Around here the asterisk is a stupid advertisement for Mercedes of Alexandria. That's their logo. And instead of putting it down near the license plate, they put it in that nice obnoxious location above the model badge.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
hmmmm..maybe that's what it is. but i purchased my e500 4matic from mb of alexandria and had nothing of the sort on it. i've also seen this in ny and nj.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
In DC and Northern VA you have the option to tell the dealer not to add any permanent advertising to the car itself. I believe that in both locations, they must ask before affixing anything permanent to the car. That could explain why itsmeek doesn't have the asterisk.

American Service Center in Arlington uses a nice MB logo grille badge and a trunk stick-on badge. They asked before installing on my car (I opted for the grillle badge only).

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-18-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
In DC and Northern VA you have the option to tell the dealer not to add any permanent advertising to the car itself. I believe that in both locations, they must ask before affixing anything permanent to the car. That could explain why itsmeek doesn't have the asterisk.

American Service Center in Arlington uses a nice MB logo grille badge and a trunk stick-on badge. They asked before installing on my car (I opted for the grillle badge only).
Yeah, I'm buying this car (maybe) through Alexandria. So I've already asked them to not put the star next to the "S550". The salesperson's response was non-commital. He said that he would talk to the prep guys but that they don't consider the star or the grille badge to be permanent. He said the star would come right off with some heat.

Still, if I decide to wait for this order, I will remind them, once they car is on it's way, that if I see the star on there I will insist that they take it off before I will sign for the car.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:08 AM

05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
a coworker of mine bought a used s-class from a different state and on his first visit to mercedes of alexandria (pickett street), the dealer sticks the asterisk on his trunk without his permission. he didn't mind and thought it was kinda cool.