Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Why I re-newed TELEAID

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Thumbs up Why I re-newed TELEAID

My first year of "free" Teleaid Service is to come to an end.

After reviewing all of the threads relating to PROS & CONS, I decided to call and NOT re-new.

I discussed the $240 annual cost and 40 cents per minute charges; but what convinced me to RE-NEW Teleaid were to things:

1. Automatic emergency personnel deployment in case of an accident, with popped airbags, and

2. Retrieval capability in case of theft, while car is being driven. Teleaid claims that retrieval rate is very high.

The last point was not discussed in the ref. subject threads. Here in S. Florida, 60,000 cars are stolen annually. I felt that Teleaid could be a deterrent.

Some insurance cos. credit you for having this feature.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500 4matic Wagon
Yeah, I keep it renewed too. I had let it slip, until my Rover broke down and I had to wait 2 hours for AAA to come with a flatbed and tow me across 3 counties in NJ. MB apparently guarantees a 30-minute or less tow wait, and guarantees towing to the dealership of your choice.

The theft rate is also an issue, though apparently not so much in NYC as in FL. I think that my dad (who insures my car and his Benzes too) gets a break on insurance b/c of the Teleaid, actually.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:04 PM

2001 MB CLK55
Originally posted by BenzE
Yeah, I keep it renewed too. I had let it slip, until my Rover broke down and I had to wait 2 hours for AAA to come with a flatbed and tow me across 3 counties in NJ. MB apparently guarantees a 30-minute or less tow wait, and guarantees towing to the dealership of your choice.
Bzzt - wrong answer. MBUSA offers no wait guarantee, and they'll flat bed you to the nearest dealer. If you've got more than one within "reasonable" distance of your break down location, you might be able to choose.

That said, I too keep my teleaid running. On my wife's car, primarily because it's almost a certainty that MBUSA can get there before I can if I'm at work; automatic call for help in an accident is close second. On my car, auto call for help is primary justification.

My (potentially incorrect) understanding is that "in the know" thieves are likely to yank your teleaid antenna off when they appropriate your ride - rendering MBUSA incapable of assisting the local constabulatory.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:35 PM

2006 E500 4matic Wagon
Actually, I have had two teleaid operators tell me about the guaranteed wait. And, I think--don't quote me, though--there is something in the writing of my original agreement that says something about towing distance. I will have to check when I get home. But, because I do so much driving and am sometimes particular about where my vehicles go (e.g., Rover had to go to dealership where my buddy works so I could get cheapo parts & labor), I am pretty sure that I researched this. I could've been in a haze, however.

What if: you combine Teleaid with AAA. I have unlimited tow radius with AAA (it's called an RV membership that once rescued dad, Rover (another one) and the boat they were towing). So, could I use teleaid to get there fast and then AAA to tow me where I want to go?

Who knows. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered paying for teleaid....
Old 10-08-2002, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Teleaid....

Don't forget the driving direction assistance. I once found myself stuck at a closed road in an unfamiliar area. The Teleaid person talked me through every turn (he could see me driving) to get around the closure. Cost was minimal ($6??) and worth it. We've used the direction assistance only 4 times in 1 1/2 years but it sure came in handy.