Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Dealers:The Good & the Bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slk 230 & CLK500
Dealers:The Good & the Bad

Lets get a discussion going of which dealers to patronize & which to avoid.
Sarasota MB in Fl is one to really avoid. I had a problem with my manual transmission where there was a TSB for where I would attempt to put it into first & felt heavy resistance on the sick & it would move into reverse, even though the TSB stated "if you get customer concerns" the dealer did nothing as the tech could not duplicate it. This is the same tech who stated he corrected rattles in the car. I took the car for a drive with the factory rep who also could not duplicate the problem in his 10 minute drive. Well the rattles were still there, the rep determined what they were but did he or anyone at the dealership question the tech, NO! The answer I received was to schedule another appointment instead of them fixing the problem that the tech lied about. When this dealership was Glauser it was completely different as they would bend backwards to help & satisfy you but since they came under the Autonation banner forget it, they could care less. They figure most will look the other way because it is a Benz. Sarasota MB is one place to avoid. To them the customer is just a number. Avoid this place.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Avoid Fletcher Jones, Fremont, CA (Service Dept.)

After owning my SL600 for ~1 year, it required a California smog check as part of the annual registration renewal. Although the "Check Engine" light was operating correctly (come on at engine start, then immeidately go off), it was *not* lit while the car was running. However, the engine would not pass California Smog as the ECU had a couple of registers in a 'Not Ready' state. The engine was very clean burning and easily met all emission standards. But because a couple of the ECU registers were 'Not Ready', the car not pass smog. A technicality, yes - but a requirement none the less.

After 4 months at Fletcher Jones MB in Fremont, CA and well over $3,500 from my pocket, they could not solve the 'Not Ready' ECU register problem. In frustration, the Service Department of Fletcher Jones MB in Fremont, CA went to the California DMV to get me a one-year exemption for the smog test, so at least I could get back on the road.

At this time and purely conicidentally, I moved to Texas where they readily dispense 93 octane fuel. I had the car transported to Texas, in lieu of driving cross country. Upon arrival, my SL600 needed a tank of gas.

After filling up with Chevron 93 octane and driving around town for maybe 40 miles, I took the car in for a smog check as part of the registration transfer process. Although I told the ECU tales to the Smog Technician, the ECU registers were all in a 'Ready' state! The ECU registers have been properly set to 'Ready' ever since and the car has passed smog a second time.

Before anyone jumps on the 'Drive Cycle' routine required after MB service, I did drive the SL600 over 100 miles in California (mixture of city and freeway speeds/conditions) after all the bogus work done Fletcher Jones MB (Fremont). No, the drive cycle requirements had easily been met in CA.

The Service Foreman is a fast-talking guy who is rather full of himself and Service Manager refused to admit they had no clue. They even attempted to convince me that my car needed front bushing replacement - which was not needed. I believe this latter 'recommendation' was an attempt for them to recoup more money on their service failure.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 PM

Use Caution - Beshoff Mercedes, San Jose, CA (Service)

This is a relatively new dealership and they Service Director didn't necessarily hire the best team. I had a problem with a '94 S320 that had an intermittent engine idle problem. Their recommendation was an engine harness replacement. While their work solved the problem, I could not get a straight answer as to how the wiring harness was the cause of the engine idle problem. Although I could understand the harness being the root cause, it just seemed odd that the Technician and Service Adviser couldn’t adequately answer questions about it.

In fairness however, I have heard since that incident the Service Director has been... shall we say... cleaning house. Because I moved to Texas last year, I cannot say what they are like today. Thus, I simply recommend caution.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Good Service - Mercedes of Georgetown (Texas)

Since moving to Texas last year, I've interfaced numerous times with the Service Advisors and Parts Team at Mercedes of Georgetown. Pretty knowledgeable, even on the mid-90's vehicles. Friendly and willing to discuss any service issue. If asked a question 'off-the-cuff' and they are unsure of the answer, they will find the answer in a reasonable time. However, they are always fully aware of the how's and why's of repairs in progress. Parts Team is very knowledgeable and works very hard to ensure the right part is ordered the first time.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 AM

Slk 230 & CLK500
All cars can have there problems but with a good dealer to work with they can be solved instead of being increased with aggravation. With a good dealer things run smoothly instead of bumpy as with SARASOTA Mercedes. It is always better for the dealer to provide the service then having to get MB involved if it is still under warranty. If not under warranty the bad dealers will soak you when all you want is your car to run like a Mercedes. Before Sarasota MB it was Glauser MB who was the greatest, so they went from first to worst. So I can see the difference, I wonder if it is because they now have to follow Autonation rules. Some of the techs who used to be there before the changeover are not there & they used to go the extra mile for you, I guess they just look at the botttom line now & could care less for us. The general manager called me over 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday promising to call me back on Friday of the same week telling me that since he came there things are improving. He sounded sincere but the bottom line he never called back, seems words are cheap & it is business as usual at that dealership from the top on down. Save yourself aggravation. AVOID SARASOTA MERCEDES.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:27 AM

It is unfortunate, but MB Service is driven by profit & loss. For all the supreme engineering and the marketing spin that implies commitment to the product and customer satisfaction, MB measures it's service by P&L. Of course, MB is in the business of making money and it is not uncommon for companies to have their Service Groups run under a P&L. For this reason, there is a portion of the MB Service Advisors who are not that interested in customer satisfaction, as opposed to emptying your bank account. There is a fine line between service profit and customer satisfaction, and there are (thankfully) dealerships that understand the balance between the two.

As with all business dealings, I have found the best protection is to really get to know the Service and Parts Team. Although difficult for many, I stop by the MB dealership at least once a week – if only to say “Hello”. By interfacing a lot and understanding their strengths and weaknesses, I have a better position to ‘push back’ when I believe the P&L mentality is coming through as opposed to the ‘customer satisfaction’ mentality.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Slk 230 & CLK500
What you say is true, at least when it was Glauser. They treated everyone as family. But since coming under the Autonation banner it is not governed by profit & loss only profit. They are a dealership to really avoid. Like the general manager who promised to call me back in 2 days said when I told him I will tell the true story & hope he loses some business his answer was "he is going to win the battle". Well he is in to himself & hopefully he will lose some business & others won't have to go through the aggravation of his dealership. He is worse then the old saying "a used car salesman" he gives them a good name. He represents the dealership & what it has become.