Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

driving sucks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' Mercedes SL500
driving sucks

I just got my car about a month or so ago (it's my first car) and am now freaked out to drive it... It's a lovely SL500 but I almost got into an accident today and all those damn teen driving statistics are freaking me out. So, today, I'm pulling into my apartment complex and there is a guy totally oblivious to me driving in the correct lane of traffic and he is coming out of a different complex and he just comes half way into my lane and I had to swerve left to avoid him.. And then, also today, I'm making a turn and my rims hit the curb and it made the car shake. And, also today, I'm in a parking lot and trying to exit when another car comes into the parking lot.. now, this is no big deal, but there was also a person walking to his car on the right of me (the car is on the left) so i look to avoid the person and the car and when the car passes and the person passes i go to leave the lot and there is a ****ing guy about to walk in front of my car to the left of me that i hadnt notice before that i almost hit.. i've just been thinking of all the ways an accident could happen and it sucks. i almost just want to just drive the 2 miles to school each day and that's it and just keep my car in the garage the rest of the time.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:36 PM

2007 SLK55 P30
Maybe an SL500 wasn't a smart first car if you're a beginning driver...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
LOL sounds like you can't drive/don't know the rules of the road.

I started with a slow ***, invinceable ML320. It's a good learning car.

Keep the SL in the garage before you kill someone and get some experience.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
How old are you?....a R230 SL for a 1st car is nuts. You should have the tire/wheel/suspension checked out if you hit a curb while driving.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by CY
How old are you?....a R230 SL for a 1st car is nuts. You should have the tire/wheel/suspension checked out if you hit a curb while driving.
link

@sexysl

Don't worry. 2 miles isn't that far to walk. Even if it is uphill both ways.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 PM

Is @ Home
My first beginning car was an Enzo and I seemed to drive it okay. It must be the drivers around you or you might be the problem (dunno which since I don't personally know your driving style).
Old 08-12-2007, 02:35 AM

04' Mercedes SL500
"
Keep the SL in the garage before you kill someone and get some experience."

thanks...

it's not even a fast car... there are tons of cheaper cars out there that do 0-60 in the same or faster time that many people get as their first car.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I dont think the 0-60 is why it doesn't make a good first car.

It actually requires some skill to drive that car due to not as great visibility, which is why its a ****ty car for a 1st car. It is also not very forgiving.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Go back to drivers Ed. you say >>>"I had to swerve left to avoid him."<<< if you had to swerve to the left you made a wrong move, never swerve left. The most basic rule of the road is the car on the right has the right of way, so you should have given way. If you could not have done that, then you were going too fast. All of this is covered in drivers Ed.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 PM

04' Mercedes SL500
it has better visibility than anything with the top down and more likely to come out better than a ****ty honda in a crash and more likely to avoid one as well with much better breaking and handling. and how is this car not forgiving? it's not a manual and it's very well behaved and poised in comfort mode. in my opinion there is just a negative stigma associated with these kinds of cars.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:57 PM

04' Mercedes SL500
and btw i've gotten much better at driving it recently.. it was just those first few weeks that were fraught with these kinds of incidents
Old 08-12-2007, 11:23 PM

BMW
You're always going to encounter these kinds of small incidents when driving.

I've encountered all kinds of incidents and I only had my license for a bit over a year.

I remember the first few months that I had my license, I went on a freeway (only needed to be on it for 5-7 min. to get to another part of town.) 5 minutes past since I got on, and all of a sudden, this Asian in a Minivan starts merging into my lane, meaning RIGHT into my car. Obviously she didn't see me. I was getting ready to switch lanes, and she finally saw me and swerved. Thank god there was no accident.

I had a few similar incidents in the city too. Not very pleasant.

Did your parents buy your car for you?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, its more forgiving than a Ferrari, but it does have the HP to get you into serious trouble very quickly. I'd say the same thing if you told me your first car was a Ford Mustang.

For a first driver, a used Toyota Camry, Mercedes C-Class or something like that would do. You can ding and dent it all you want.

Driving well requires you to be a defensive driver. You'll learn that over time because everyday on the road, someone is going to try to kill you. Just accept it, and learn to drive defensively. The avg person on the road is dumber than dirt, and when you can accept that, you'll know that you might drive well, but you need to see and avoid their actions.

Don't be discouraged by crazy drivers. You'll get into lots of near-hits on a regular basis if you drive enough.

I realize a SL500 is a great first car and I'm sure at your age (I'm guessing you're 16-18) must a riot with your friends. But it still goes 0 to 60 is a very short amount of time, can easily go very fast (over 120mph) with any sign that you're actually driving that fast unless you look at the speedometer. Its dangerous. Its like those alcoholic drinks that taste like they don't have alcohol .. you'll get really f--ked up on them fast.

Enjoy the car. Be a defensive driver, and don't be discouraged. My first car went 0-60 in 11 seconds and on a straight road had a rated top speed of 99. I think it was a great decision on my parents part because even then I got speeding tickets. I can only imagine that I'd be in jail if I had a car that could've done 130mph with ease.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by sexysl
it has better visibility than anything with the top down and more likely to come out better than a ****ty honda in a crash and more likely to avoid one as well with much better breaking and handling. and how is this car not forgiving? it's not a manual and it's very well behaved and poised in comfort mode. in my opinion there is just a negative stigma associated with these kinds of cars.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 AM

04' Mercedes SL500
Originally Posted by Vik888
Ok, its more forgiving than a Ferrari, but it does have the HP to get you into serious trouble very quickly. I'd say the same thing if you told me your first car was a Ford Mustang.

For a first driver, a used Toyota Camry, Mercedes C-Class or something like that would do. You can ding and dent it all you want.

Driving well requires you to be a defensive driver. You'll learn that over time because everyday on the road, someone is going to try to kill you. Just accept it, and learn to drive defensively. The avg person on the road is dumber than dirt, and when you can accept that, you'll know that you might drive well, but you need to see and avoid their actions.

Don't be discouraged by crazy drivers. You'll get into lots of near-hits on a regular basis if you drive enough.

I realize a SL500 is a great first car and I'm sure at your age (I'm guessing you're 16-18) must a riot with your friends. But it still goes 0 to 60 is a very short amount of time, can easily go very fast (over 120mph) with any sign that you're actually driving that fast unless you look at the speedometer. Its dangerous. Its like those alcoholic drinks that taste like they don't have alcohol .. you'll get really f--ked up on them fast.

Enjoy the car. Be a defensive driver, and don't be discouraged. My first car went 0-60 in 11 seconds and on a straight road had a rated top speed of 99. I think it was a great decision on my parents part because even then I got speeding tickets. I can only imagine that I'd be in jail if I had a car that could've done 130mph with ease.

Good luck.
I'm actually 18 and in college and I think the car does more to inspire jealousy and hatred amongst my friends and peers than anything else. Also, I try not to go more than a few miles per hour over the speed limit and not to accelerate too fast to the speed limit.. This is kind of hard considering the freeways here in arizona at night barely have anyone on them and it is all too easy to go really fast but I told myself I'm not going to speed for at least a year.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM

'97 E320
I'm actually 18 and in college and I think the car does more to inspire jealousy and hatred amongst my friends and peers than anything else. Also, I try not to go more than a few miles per hour over the speed limit and not to accelerate too fast to the speed limit.. This is kind of hard considering the freeways here in arizona at night barely have anyone on them and it is all too easy to go really fast but I told myself I'm not going to speed for at least a year.
There are bad drivers everywhere you go. Just take this simple advice (no matter what your 1st or 100th car is)...

1 - Take a deep breath and don't be in a hurry. Patience is a virtue that can help you through a majority of those frustrating situations.

2 - Be careful and respectful of other drivers (sounds like you are).

3 - Keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings (sounds like you are trying very hard to).

4 - Practice. The more you drive, the more comfortable you'll feel behind the wheel of a car. It sounds as if your comfort level is extremely low right now...and that can significantly and adversely affect your awareness when driving.

Don't worry about other people or their opinions of your auto (or probably much else for that matter). Be thankful for what you have and after some more time on the road...I'm hopeful you'll enjoy it.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Black Bimmer
People think that having good car for first driver is bad. But, Every people is different, that might not work for you. If you think handle the car, drive with caution. Then, I'd say enjoy your SL in your teen age.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
watch out for those speed cameras on the 101 in Scottsdale.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1993 300SEL/S320
May I ask why you are worrying about how to drive the car when you should be using it as leverage for university girls?

Kidding aside enjoy the car, they are built for driving if you really worried about your ability to drive a car like this on the road then go to a good driving school I think they even let you use your own car.

Last edited by NZ_Benz; 08-14-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think we're assuming its a guy, aren't we? It could just as easily be a female poster.

Originally Posted by NZ_Benz
May I ask why you are worrying about how to drive the car when you should be using it as leverage for university girls?

Kidding aside enjoy the car, they are built for driving if you really worried about your ability to drive a car like this on the road then go to a good driving school I think they even let you use your own car.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 PM

04' Mercedes SL500
i'm a guy lol.. i guess it's kind of a girly username though, sexysl. i was thinking about getting that for my license plate but decided against it