Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Scary incident yesterday -- is it safe to drive this car ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scary incident yesterday -- is it safe to drive this car ?

guys..

I need your advice , on whether it is still safe to drive this car. THis is a w124 300E 1990 with 160K on the meter.

i was on a 300 mile trip .( AT the beginning, I fill up the oil to full or this time i had slightly overfilled it.)

Anyway I saw on my dash the battery red light would come on and disappear every couple of minutes when i was starting. 6 months ago we had replaced the battery completely and then and alternator.

Well, the entire way there and half way back the car was great..but

250 miles into the trip, the car just started choking and then I pulled into a toll booth building. Luckily , the cars were going very slowly as It was a toll booth, but HAD TO BEEEN the highway , my life could have been in danger.

THE car shut off and I tried to start it again . The first pass, iginition would light up and the second would light up the dash board but when I tried the third press it would just do nothing.

So I wait and wait for 3 hours until AAA comes by. He jump starts me and the car starts up ! surprising. THe AAA guy says to me "well if it happend once, it can happen again" ....SO then I am freaked out so I leave the car at the towing facility and catch a ride home .

Today, I come to the towing facility , start up the car and I drive the remainer of 50 miles home.

Now My question is, MONDAY MORNING I HAVE TO drive another 300 for WORK reasons, ANY IDEA what caused it and it is a 1 time deal or could it happend again ? Should I Avoid taking this car on my

TRIP again ?

THIS Incident really freaked me out and I m stayin away from older cars if I can help it!