Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

moving in Europe with CLS and ML bought in the US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS 550, 2007 ML 350
moving in Europe with CLS and ML bought in the US

Hello everyone,

I am brand new in this forum.
I am the, very happy, owner of a CLS 550 and ML350, both 2007. I have to move in France in a few months and I definitely want to bring my cars along.

This might be a classic situation, hopefully already discussed in these forums .

I have a few questions below. I thank you all in advance for any answer. This will help me a lot as I got so far somewhat contradictory answers from my MB dealer and friends...

1/ International Warranty

I heard that Mercedes cars benefit from an international warranty, But I am not sure...If I move my cars from California to Paris, will I keep some kind of warranty ? Any idea of the modalities (number of years, coverage, mileage…).

2/ Comand DVD Navigation System

This is a topic where I am really confused. Both cars have the US Comand DVD navigation system. Some people tell me that by just changing the DVD with the European version, this should work with no issue. Others tell me that this won't work and that I need to replace the complete Comand System by a European version. Any clues/experience there ?

If I *must* change the Comand systems, do you have any idea of how much this could cost (Part+Labor) ? Would you recommend to do this in the US before leaving or having it done in Europe ?

3/ Radio

Same confusion here. Will the US version work fine in Europe ? any advice ?
I guess the Radio is part of the Comand system.

4/ Speedometer / Odometer.

On that one, it looks that we should not have to much problem. On both CLS and ML, I can change the settings on the multi function display to have the digital speedometer display kmh instead of mph, the odometer display km instead of miles and the temperatures displayed in Celsius vs Farhenheit.

5/ Any other thing/device/function I should worry about, when moving to Europe ? Lights ?, Catalytic converter ?, Tires ?
Any website, link, I can find more info..?

I appreciate your help !
Thank you

HC_Cal
Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 SL600 AMG(FULLY loaded), 98 SLK230, 06 Suzuki GSXR-1000
As for the Command, when i swap my US version Command out with an European one to get the DVD/Video function =) ( I believe the headunit was from Denmark) the navigation was "confused" because it was preprogrammed for Europe. I took it to the dealer, they reprogrammed it and installed it for me for a even $100. So...I think u might have to do the same as in re-programming the Command so it knows it is in Europe and not in the US anymore =) Hope that helps.