Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes (lack of) customer support

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Mercedes (lack of) customer support

Hi Guys,

Pretty new to the forum so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I've had a lot of trouble recently with Mercedes, I spend my summer months living in Gibraltar / Spain but I am from the UK.

I have never had a problem with Mercedes dealers anywhere apart from Gibraltar and Spain.

Let me fill you in. My CL55 had to be recovered in Gibraltar after it got stuck in Park, something to do with an electronic switch. It took Mercedes Gibraltar 2 months to fix it, they couldn't give me a courtsey car either...

When I went back to collect the car it was completely filthy and covered in strange streaks that took days of polishing (by me) to get them all out.

The front bumper of the CL55 was also cracked and I heard through the grapevine that my car slipped off the ramp and damaged the front end, I'm also told a lot of the bumper was repainted and this is why they had my car for so long.

Anyway, I got my car back and a few weeks later the car broke down in Spain. The alternator wasn't charging the battery properly so I got ABS / BAS and every other failure. I stopped the car as it felt very unsafe to drive and it wouldn't start again.

I called Mercedes Benz 24 hour recovery and they sent someone out from Los Barrios dealership in Spain. They gave me a lift home and recovered the car.

The car was ready to collect after 5 days, it had a new alternator ($2400). They brought the car out of the garage and then told me that on the test drive to test the alternator (why?) someone crashed into them. The back right wheel (Brabus) has huge black scrapes across it and the body work is damaged. I also noticed the front of the car, the bumper has a nice new crack next to the one Mercedes Gibraltar put there and the wing is scuffed.

I love this car, I've never ever bumped it or breathed on it the wrong way, I can't believe what has happened to it.

Mercedes in Los Barrios asked me to bring it back 2 weeks later to the body shop and they would fix it. I went back 2 weeks later and there was no one there who could speak English (I specifically asked for someone to be there as I can't speak Spanish very well). The guy behind the desk laughed at me. And made no effort to try and help me.

I went outside and called Mercedes Benz 24 hour and told them the problem, the first thing they said was "we're a recovery service not a translation service", I said "so why have you been speaking to the dealership on my behalf so far?". He said he would have someone call the dealership and someone would come out to meet me. I sat there for 1 hour 30 minutes feeling completely helpless then I left.

I called them back up again and explained what had happened, they said they would look into it and get back to me, I have never recieved that call.

I'm now unsure about how to proceed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Iain
Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I can't help, but I feel for you...that sucks. Hope someone at MB gets this right for you.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Your problems are with a specific dealer.

Dealers are separate business entities from Daimler.

You can complain to Daimler if you wish.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
That is unbelievable...and I thought the service in Europe was better than the US, from what you described, its a lot worse. I think the best way to deal with your problem is to contact Mercedes-Benz HQ in your country and let them know about your situation.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
Call Mercedes benz HQ and make sure they give you the service you desurve!! I'd take em to court if they persisted... (not sure how they handle lawsuits in spain)

I had a problem somewhat like this with Mercedes-Benz of Morristown (USA) and once i called MB of NorthAmerica HQ, MBM was more then willing to stand behind their ****ty work. It's impressive what some influance from the higher-ups can do. Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 PM

2004 S55 AMG
That sucks and blows...

Squeaky wheel gets the grease (no pun intended) keep on 'em and take it up a notch to corporate until you're completely satisfied.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
SUE! oh wait you're not in the USA.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Man that sucks. Since you live in Spain part of the year you probably know how things work there better then most of this forum. It sounds like the issues are definately with a couple dealers there though and you should complain to MB about those specific dealers.

They are all independantly owned, but MB carries enough weight with them that they probably could ensure your car is properly fixed due to their gross negligence. MB does not like to hear that one of their independent dealerships are not living up to MB standards.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Call the national headquarters from the respective countries and explain your situation. If they do not rectify the situation, sue.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C240
Damn, sounds like those Spanish dealers are being run by former GM dealership operators. Sorry you're having such a hassle; I'd definitely contact Daimler customer service for that region and demand resolution on the matter. There is a reason they have regional service managers - and NO reason you should have to put up with that level of abuse.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:02 PM

SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
Sounds incredible - however after getting hacked off with Merc service in the UK, and now having been in Spain for just over two years (just up the coast near Marbella) I can believe it.

Hope you get a suitable resolution.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM

2008 - S550 4Matic, 2010 - E350 4Matic, 2010 - C350 4Matic
This is a nightmare and I like to believe not possible here. MB stands behind their service and the dealerships look after their customer.

If a mishap would occur here, which can happen, I am sure they will look after you.

In Spain who knows.

Good luck

Jorg