Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Got pulled over for window tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
Got pulled over for window tint

I live in the near west suburbs of Chicago and was pulled over on my way to work this morning. The officer (in my home town) pulled me over for having my front windows tinted. My windows aren't even heavy tint because you can see through them. I know this is illegal, but come-on, during the morning rush? I think he was using this as an excuse to pull me over, and possibly expected someone more shady to be driving so he could try and rack up violations.
He gave me a warning and told me to get the tint removed. There's no way I'm removing the tint. Have any of you guys had a "repeat" experience with a cop that has told you to remove illegal tint? If so, what happened?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
he's just having a bad day and you happen to catch his eyes that's all. I got several tickets for tint. Either way you lose money. Get it fixed, sign it off, then retint will cost the same as just paying the fine.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 S600,' 04 GTO,Ducati 1098S
Congrats you popped your Tint Ticket cherry....down here the pigs from Metro Dade and Broward Sherrifs Office have given me like 8 fix it tickets for my 5% Tint and my windshield is also tinted 28%. I just get my friend from the station to sign off on them.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
I get pulled over a lot because I have those side shades in the back which look like tints.

The windows are glazed from the factory with some coating - and in the sunlinght - it looks almost like a mint green effect.

But they just apologize for the mistake and send me on my way.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:58 AM

C32 AMG
[QUOTE=EdzBenz;2511857]I live in the near west suburbs of Chicago and was pulled over on my way to work this morning. The officer (in my home town) pulled me over for having my front windows tinted. My windows aren't even heavy tint because you can see through them. I know this is illegal, but come-on, during the morning rush? I think he was using this as an excuse to pull me over, and possibly expected someone more shady to be driving so he could try and rack up violations.
He gave me a warning and told me to get the tint removed. There's no way I'm removing the tint. Have any of you guys had a "repeat" experience with a cop that has told you to remove illegal tint? If so, what happened?[/QUOTE

In Des Plaines where I live they will pull you over every time they see you, I guess they are really bored.
I had that problem w/ my old car. They made me go to court couple of times.
After a while I just gave up tint on front windows. Wasted to much time dealing w/ bs.

Regards
Jack
Old 11-20-2007, 01:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by EdzBenz
I live in the near west suburbs of Chicago and was pulled over on my way to work this morning. The officer (in my home town) pulled me over for having my front windows tinted. My windows aren't even heavy tint because you can see through them. I know this is illegal, but come-on, during the morning rush? I think he was using this as an excuse to pull me over, and possibly expected someone more shady to be driving so he could try and rack up violations.
He gave me a warning and told me to get the tint removed. There's no way I'm removing the tint. Have any of you guys had a "repeat" experience with a cop that has told you to remove illegal tint? If so, what happened?
I've been pulled over 3 times for the same thing. One cop had the nerve to tell me to rip it off while he watched. I said no and he gave me yet another warning.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:33 PM

CLS63 AMG S
lol crazyness im from ny and they go crazy with it........prob just boredom so he was like wth lemme bother him lol........leave it on
Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
whatevs its just a ticket, gotta pay to play
Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E350
Whats that condition called where people actually need tints on their car when they are driving because of a disease they have with their eyes? Is it called Glacouma?(Spelling)

I wonder if you get a doc you know really well type up a letter for you to keep in the car. Has anyone does this?

Last edited by Cleve_E350; 11-29-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:21 PM

CLS63 AMG S
if you get the front windshield tinted all you need is somethin written up for sunglasses or darker windows cuz you get headaches or something and you should be fine
Old 11-29-2007, 06:04 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E350
Yeah but they call it a special word. Anyone know what it is?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by MilitaryBenz
if you get the front windshield tinted all you need is somethin written up for sunglasses or darker windows cuz you get headaches or something and you should be fine
This sounds like something you just made up....is it?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Banned

2008 S550 4MATIC amg
I have 5% tint on my w221 and i havent gotten messed with
Old 12-01-2007, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
It's illegal in NH

Originally Posted by ILOVEARABS
I have 5% tint on my w221 and i havent gotten messed with
to have the front windows tinted such that the officer can't see in the windows, roughly.

It's actually a good thing because we get a lot of illegal aliens and drug dealers from a state south of us who try to despoil our nice state "detained" for further inspections.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:41 AM

99 c230 kompressor
its photophobia..no it doesn't mean you're scared of the light... you're just hypersensitive to it..could be due to a variety of reasons (including glaucoma)

i'd make friends with a doctor and get a note ..cops can't negate that..it's like being able to carry syringes if you're diabetic
Old 12-02-2007, 01:44 AM

99 c230 kompressor
oh and btw...if cops can pull you over for tinted windows..they should pull over anyone wearing sunglasses
Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by letsduthis71
oh and btw...if cops can pull you over for tinted windows..they should pull over anyone wearing sunglasses
Great point. How about that guy with the patch over his eye?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:09 PM

'08 e63 amg wagon
Originally Posted by letsduthis71
That doesn't even begin to make senese. The purpose of the tint law is so officers can see inside of a vehicle when making a stop. It is for there safety. I am not a fan of this law either. I have 15% on all my windows except the windshield. I will take my lumps if and when I am stopped, 'till then I'm not going to worry about it
Old 12-15-2007, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by badwagon
....The purpose of the tint law is so officers can see inside of a vehicle when making a stop. It is for there safety.
Safety for drivers and pedestrians as well. Any pedestrian that steps into a crosswalk or the street without having eye contact with drivers that may want to share the same space is at risk. Same between drivers making turns or starting out into traffic.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55, w211 E55, ML320 CDI
Light Sensitivity

Originally Posted by Cleve_E350
Whats that condition called where people actually need tints on their car when they are driving because of a disease they have with their eyes? Is it called Glacouma?(Spelling)

I wonder if you get a doc you know really well type up a letter for you to keep in the car. Has anyone does this?
When I lived in Michigan, I had 5% tint on my car all the way around (except windshield). It was very dark. Could not see in. I got a doctor's note from my optometrist stating that I was sensitive to light which is the truth since I do get migraines from light flashes. My migraines cause me to have something called an aura. The aura is a small area of your vision that goes away. For me, my periphery in a small area of my vision just disappears. It totally sucks and definitely not good if you're driving.

Anyways, when cops pulled me over for my tint (happened several times), I showed them the note and they let me off after running my license and registration. They had to because it was MI law.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 AM

W220 S500
Originally Posted by BigBody6
Congrats you popped your Tint Ticket cherry....down here the pigs from Metro Dade and Broward Sherrifs Office have given me like 8 fix it tickets for my 5% Tint and my windshield is also tinted 28%. I just get my friend from the station to sign off on them.
Obey the law and the pigs won't have to pork you. The law is there for a reason, whether you understand it or not. If you don't and get caught, don't blame anyone but yourself.

You pay to play, stop complaining.