Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What would you guys do: Keep the E55 or Get a New SL500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
Originally posted by corgiman
Get the SL55 - you'll consider anything else a step down. The cost factor - well if you have to ask the price......

As for client impressions - if you really have custom plates that say SUE4U, you don't seem like the kind of guy who would worry too much about that.
Seems to be the concensus: go for the AMG.

Re: 'asking the price ... the cost factor': In my book, cost is ALWAYS a factor. As I said in posts above, I consider myself very fortunate in that I CAN afford to purchase any of my car-choices. However, the question for me is "can I JUSTIFY the purchase' to myself (lotta-mo things to spend that extra $500-$800 per month I'd be spending getting an AMG-version of the SL or CL).

Yes, I really do have SUE4U as my plate ... and yes, I usually don't worry about what others think. Truth be told, I have gotten about a dozen notes attached to my windshield wiper or stuck udner my door handle over the past year asking to call a person to discuss a legal matter!

(One note left on my car even asked me if my wife was named 'Sue' and why did I want to give her to other people !!! )
Old 01-13-2002, 02:29 PM

Re: Go for the SL!

Originally posted by bugfighter
Heck, you only live once!

Get a Toyota Camry or something like that for your daily driver and for your family car if money is an object (No sense in driving around a super expensive car to grocery parking spaces where other people just bang on it anyway). If money's not an object, then buy both the SL and the E. (Then if somebody bangs on it at the grocery store, you can just buy another one. )

Good luck!
Bug ... money is always an object! (its all in the 'justification' though).

Two cars is a good idea, although two cars costing over $80K each is a little hard for me to justify ... to the Wife, that is.

I always park out in the 'north-40' anyway (and cut my chances of getting 'dinged' by putting at least one side of the Beast facing a median-strip or wall). Been lucky so far.

If I'm going to get an SL55 or CL55 ... and pay over $100K for it ... I'm going to get every last penny's-worth of enjoyment out of it ... so it's going to be my daily driver.

I've been so spoiled by my MB in general, and my AMG-model in particular ... its hard for me to enjoy anything else now (friends cars/rentals). Drove the Wife's car the other day, and found I was getting frustrated that I had to expend the effort to 'reach over' to change the radio stations, and if you can believe it, I had to actually, physically, pick up, open and then dial the telephone ... I was exhausted !!!

Last edited by Drew; 01-13-2002 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:32 PM

E55
I understand knowing the value of a buck. My experience with this sort of thing is that I'd be fine in an SL500 until that first SL55 blew by.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by corgiman
I'd be fine in an SL500 until that first SL55 blew by.
LOL!!! How true!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
Hey Drew, why not wait for the SL55? Best of both worlds, and solves your non-AMG tuned engine problem. A CL55 is nice, too.

I know somewhere Adam is smiling.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by lee2375
Hey Drew, why not wait for the SL55? Best of both worlds, and solves your non-AMG tuned engine problem. A CL55 is nice, too.
Your so right bro ... and that's exactly what I'm going to do. After much consideration ... and lots of good advice from members like you ... I have decided (primarily so I can take my 5-month old in the car too) to wait for the next-generation AMG engine in the CL wrapping.

Originally posted by lee2375
I know somewhere Adam is smiling.
Because he's got a CL55 and/or because he'll also be getting the SL55? ... or both? ... or because right now, he's looking at dirty pictures at work?
Old 01-15-2002, 04:55 PM

2010 E550
Hey Drew,

Since we have been on the AMG issue I've got a question. Does the E-class AMG have bigger brakes than normal? You know, like the M Class BMW. Those things have monster brakes. If so, can one upgrade a regular E-class to AMG or at least some type of bigger brakes?
Old 01-15-2002, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
Because he's got a CL55 and/or because he'll also be getting the SL55? ... or both? ... or because right now, he's looking at dirty pictures at work?
All of the above.