Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

1 St Issue Of Benzo Arival

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 St Issue Of Benzo Arival

Got the first issue today. Man what a cool magazine, unfortunatly it is much like the prototype and I have read most of the articles. I'm still really excited about it though. Good mag, if you do not have a subsctiption I suggest getting one. Even if you do not own a Benz i suggest picking up a copy.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL450 2010 GL550 2020 Sprinter 4x4
I also received mine. It is almost identical to the 'prototype' issue. I think they swithed the Kleemann article with the Brabus article though. I could be wrong.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Yes indeed- same as the prototype but w/o KLEEMANN article.

We wouldnt play their advertising game so they dropped our article-
Old 01-03-2003, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Hmmmm

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
Yes indeed- same as the prototype but w/o KLEEMANN article.

We wouldnt play their advertising game so they dropped our article-
Interesting. I read that Kleeman article in the prototype issue, and found it very interesting, and enlightening. *Almost* made me want to buy a Kleeman Kompressor for my 03 E-500!

I'm a bit chagrined at the quid pro quo in which you are alleging they've engaged. It would seem to me that they were fortunate to get interview time and corporate cooperation in order to help their upstart magazine get its feet on the ground.

I'm ignorant of the politics and business practice of the publishing business, so I'm out of my bailiwick when I say this, but it seems to me they've just burned a bridge with a major MB player by demanding the payoff from Kleeman without gaining their own credibility, juice, power, influence, etc. yet.

So, next month they **** off Brabus, sometime next year they **** off Lorinser (maybe even with the same extortion tactics they've apparently used with Kleeman), and then they've lost all credibility with the major players. Do they (Benzo) really think they'll get inside intel on when new Kompressors or other products are coming out, or for which MB models so-n-so is planning on building an air kit?

If I had to take a guess, assuming that the allegation is founded - that being that Benzo magazine appempted to squeeze money out of Kleeman for the "honor" of having Kleeman profiled in this upstart magazine's maiden issue, I would have to guess that in this race Benzo just shot itself in the foot before they even got off the blocks.

IMHO

EDJ
PS--Yes, I have a 3 yr Benzo subscription
Old 01-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is not unusaul at all for a car mag to want you to advertise in their mag after a story or two.

What we decided NOT to do was enter into a long term ad commitment based on a poorly distributed prototype car mag with no history. If it were a mag with any kind of track record that could provide real distribution numbers a even slightly complete demographics on its readership my choice would have been different.

Undoubtedly the Benzo mag is a slick product, but without proven demogaphics I was unwilling to commit to $XXK plus in advertising for the privilage of being on the cover story.

During the discussions with Benzo they had hinted that it would be a long time (if ever) that they focused any attention on KLEEMANN again. To me this seemed a little strange as we routinely make more power that the competitoirs, have introduced new wheels, body kits, and ex systems etc. Is this not of interest to readers?

Perhaps in the future we will consider a relationship with Benzo- but only after there is some water under the bridge.

Last edited by Brandon @ Kleemann; 01-03-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
If they treated Kleemann like this, my subscription will not be renewed when it comes up for renewal.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I recently worked for a company that is now advertising in that magazine. (I changed jobs a couple weeks ago) The advertising was rather cheap IMO. I am dissapointed that the Kleeman article was droped though. I hope they change their minds. Choosing not cover one of the most popular tunners in america is definatly a mistake. I mean there are not many MB tunners that have set up shop here, and there are surely limited amounts of things to write about, so don't turn away from an innovative one that people like. It seems that kleeman will have the most to write about b/c of their realtive newness, and future growth.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL450 2010 GL550 2020 Sprinter 4x4
My concern with the mag is that they will run out of stories in 3 months. No big deal, I only have $40 invested in it. If I were "Kleemann", I'd be leary to tie up a bunch of advertising money with Benzo. Don't get me wrong, I hope the magazine hangs around, MB owners need a mag of their own.