Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Vehicle Dependability Study

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Vehicle Dependability Study

Ok, in 2000 MB ranked 7th on J.D. Powers Vehicle Dependability Study. In 2001 they were 10th. Then along came 2002 and they dropped to UNDER the industrial average. From my understanding MB have set up quality teams at their factories to ensure quality control. Does anyone know if this stragedy is paying off?

Also, how would they rank if the ML was eliminated from the equation. No disrespect, but the last time I took my car in I was given a 99 ML. To be blunt, it was one of the biggest pieces of crap that I have ever driven. I was embarrased that the three-pointed star was attached to this vehicle. Does MB have no shame?

Before you guys and gals jump on and start ripping MB's quality, I know they're falling but what are they doing about it? Although I respect Juergen Hubbert for his expansion and design ideas, quality is going to be his biggest mark on MB. Remember that at one time Cadillac was the standard of the world, people used to pool their money together to buy one and share it during the week. Look at Caddy now.

IMO the redesigned ML and new crossover vehicle coming out of Alabama are going to be two of the most important vehicles in MB history. Think about it, say approximately 40% of all sales are going to be from these two vehicles, if they have quality problems then MB is in big trouble, if quality is high from the get go coupled with the new E, SL and upcoming S will turn MB around. I think the next few years are going to define Hubbert's legacy at MB. If I were him, I would make sure these vehicles are EXTENSIVELY tested before release, regardless of cost.

Sorry for the long post, but I have loved MB cars since I was a kid and would like to see them return to their former glory.

Last edited by MBZman; 01-17-2003 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First off, remember that the J.D. Power VDI's are based on vehicles that are 4-5 years old (about the only way you can really test long-term reliability). So the 2002 survey is of MY1998 vehicels. I remember reading somewhere (sorry I forget where), that MB's drop in the 2002 survey (MY1998) was directly related to the intro of the ML. I do believe that the ML problems were much improved in MY2000 and on, so I would conjecture that the 2004+ surveys will reflect that.

From my readings and research, the conclusion I have come to is that the big Japanese manufacturers make the most reliable cars. Germans make reliable cars AND have the best engineering (ie. new features). Sadly, American cars lag behind, but are improving.

I wish there were some way to guage long-term reliability without waiting, but there really isn't. J.D. Power's initial quality surveys only say so much.

I will say, that my JGC had a good *inital quality* rating, but has performed very poorly longer term. The T&C has held up decently well. The Lexus is wonderful.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by 500AMG
Sadly, American cars lag behind, but are improving.
For the past 20 years! I'm through with American cars, except maybe the Dodge Viper.

When I was a kid, every few days I'd see my uncle outside cursing at his Oldsmobile. Once I even saw him kick a dent on to the door! Now that's some reliability haha.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WHO was #1?
Old 01-17-2003, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lexus by far...they have been for a while as well
Old 01-17-2003, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I believe all makes (including American) are far more reliable than they were, say, ten or twenty years ago.

That said, the Japanese have become obsessed with quality and reliability, which is no bad thing.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Vehicle Dependability Study

Originally posted by MBZman
Ok, in 2000 MB ranked 7th on J.D. Powers Vehicle Dependability Study. In 2001 they were 10th. Then along came 2002 and they dropped to UNDER the industrial average.

No disrespect, but the last time I took my car in I was given a 99 ML. To be blunt, it was one of the biggest pieces of crap that I have ever driven. I was embarrased that the three-pointed star was attached to this vehicle. Does MB have no shame?

IMO the redesigned ML and new crossover vehicle coming out of Alabama are going to be two of the most important vehicles in MB history. Think about it, say approximately 40% of all sales are going to be from these two vehicles, if they have quality problems then MB is in big trouble, if quality is high from the get go coupled with the new E, SL and upcoming S will turn MB around. I think the next few years are going to define Hubbert's legacy at MB. If I were him, I would make sure these vehicles are EXTENSIVELY tested before release, regardless of cost.
This is why I dont own one right now.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by 500AMG
Lexus by far...they have been for a while as well
Hasn't it been up there like five of the six eligible years or something?
Old 01-27-2003, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E 320
MB has been making cars longer than almost all the manufacturers, they gotta be doing something right to last that long. Now, everything is made to be disposable. MBs arent made like that. They are expensive and last a long time. I am happy with that, I'll pay more. You got people that have a budget of a Honda Accord wanting to get into a luxury car. Something has got to give. I will probably never stop
buying German cars. It'll either be MB or BMW. If I really have to, then Lexus...MAYBE. But my money will only go to those companies. Except maybe for the Escalade (if I move out of the country), I will never buy an American luxury car. They just dont have the class that they use to.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MBDriver
MB has been making cars longer than almost all the manufacturers, they gotta be doing something right to last that long.
They were the first auto manufacturer... basically.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by PhucNguyen57
They were the first auto manufacturer... basically.
Explain....???