Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Do you look down on other benz owners with lower class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by Natalie
"Of course, there are Benzes ... and there are Benzes. Mr and Mrs Doing-very-nicely might settle for an upspecced E-Class and maybe a C- on the side. But those who live at the top of Society Heights are more likely to shop from a more exclusive catalogue. The richest recipe is the SL. Definitely one of the world's more exclusive open-top two-seater driving experiences; this car is opulence on wheels. It's the pinnacle of the Mercedes-Benz road-going fleet and a platinum-level status symbol...................msn"
lol and what car do you drive again? i bet you live with your parents hahaha j/k, j/k
Old 04-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by Natalie
"Of course, there are Benzes ... and there are Benzes. Mr and Mrs Doing-very-nicely might settle for an upspecced E-Class and maybe a C- on the side. But those who live at the top of Society Heights are more likely to shop from a more exclusive catalogue. The richest recipe is the SL. Definitely one of the world's more exclusive open-top two-seater driving experiences; this car is opulence on wheels. It's the pinnacle of the Mercedes-Benz road-going fleet and a platinum-level status symbol...................msn"
Please! This is a big load of rubbish. Sure, the SL is a very nice car. But JUST because someone has money, does not mean they HAVE to own an SL if they want a Mercedes. I know quite a few people who you would consider at the "top of society" who drive E and yes, even C class cars. You know what these people all have in common? They are not defined by the car they drive.

Didn't Sam Walton used to drive an old pick up truck? :p
Old 05-01-2005, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 240D, 99 Chev. Suburban
Gotchya beat! I just purchased my first MB--a 1980 240D. That's right, and she's beautiful! Perfect condition, inside and out. So what a turtle can beat me--its still as safe as my Suburban and gets 2X's the gas mileage. :-)
Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Who cares what you drive?!? Sounds like the only ones that care are the posers, wannabes, and attention ******...etc. What you drive don’t define who you as a person and your wealth I see *****heads all the time driving fancy *** cars and live in a POS condo/apt. In my neighborhood, you'll see doctors, top execs, etc driving decent but not top model all the time. The perfect example would be my best friend’s dad, a plastic surgeon and prime real estate owner, worth over $15 millions and drives a 1993 S class. Some people just dont care.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:33 PM

'03 M5
You can't tell how well off a person is by their car. I read a statistic a few years ago that stated that the car owned by most millionaires was a Ford F150. Who knows, you may be looking down at Warren Buffet or Michael Dell in his F150.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:19 PM

2002 BMW 330i, and GL 450
As a long time lurker of this forum.....

i'd have to say that this thread is interesting and stupid at the same time, but wth. To me anyone that gets a stripped model or a non-sport model is a person that is really looking for status, it screams "lease" special. As an owner of a 330i and a 4.4 I do wonder sometimes, why would anyone get a stripped 325i with tiny wheels?? yeah it might drive better than a maxima, but I hightly doubt that the owner chose it for its driving dynamics, if so why not get the sports package. To me these folks are thinking "Everyone look at me, I am driving a BMW"...same principle applies with the benzes...my two cents...
Old 05-14-2005, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
i'd have to say that this thread is interesting and stupid at the same time, but wth. To me anyone that gets a stripped model or a non-sport model is a person that is really looking for status, it screams "lease" special. As an owner of a 330i and a 4.4 I do wonder sometimes, why would anyone get a stripped 325i with tiny wheels?? yeah it might drive better than a maxima, but I hightly doubt that the owner chose it for its driving dynamics, if so why not get the sports package. To me these folks are thinking "Everyone look at me, I am driving a BMW"...same principle applies with the benzes...my two cents

...........If you think about it, why would you buy a 3 series BMW instead of a 5 series, even if your 3 series is a "sport" model? Perharps you prefer the 3 series. another 3 series owner might feel that the extra stuff that goes on your "sport" model is not to their liking. An M3 owner might say that your so called "sport" model 3 series is an M3 wannabee. Why not just get an M3? This of course is not my opinion, but you can see how crazy this whole thing get get. There is no accounting for taste. Ilike a G55, a vehicle which by pretty credible opinions is totally ridiculous and unneccessary. Go figure.

ted
Old 05-14-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
i'd have to say that this thread is interesting and stupid at the same time, but wth. To me anyone that gets a stripped model or a non-sport model is a person that is really looking for status, it screams "lease" special. As an owner of a 330i and a 4.4 I do wonder sometimes, why would anyone get a stripped 325i with tiny wheels?? yeah it might drive better than a maxima, but I hightly doubt that the owner chose it for its driving dynamics, if so why not get the sports package. To me these folks are thinking "Everyone look at me, I am driving a BMW"...same principle applies with the benzes...my two cents

...........If you think about it, why would you buy a 3 series BMW instead of a 5 series, even if your 3 series is a "sport" model? Perharps you prefer the 3 series. another 3 series owner might feel that the extra stuff that goes on your "sport" model is not to their liking. An M3 owner might say that your so called "sport" model 3 series is an M3 wannabee. Why not just get an M3? This of course is not my opinion, but you can see how crazy this whole thing get get. There is no accounting for taste. Ilike a G55, a vehicle which by pretty credible opinions is totally ridiculous and unneccessary. Go figure.

ted
Why would I buy a 3 series instead of a 5?? hm more nimble...why instead of an M3? hm cause is not adequate for a family of four, if they made it in a sedan, I am in. Ofcourse, an M3 driver does not know this and I see how they could look down at me.. I see your point, however the reason why most people do not get the next model up is price, plain and simple... why bs, lets be honest, if I could afford a Porsche or a Ferrari that is what i would be driving, and regarding my X5, why did i get an 05 4.4 instead of a 4.8, plain and simple, the 4.8 is too much money...most people cannot admit the affordability factor, and they make the case why a lower model is so much better...
Old 05-14-2005, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
No because you can never tell some one by the car they drive. There are millionaires out there who drives Camrys, Accords and other non luxury cars. Hell you never know who you just might of turned your nose up too.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin

ted
Most people dont get the higher engine models because they dont need them. They can get a fully loaded 325i with all the bells and whistles, or C240/C230 for the same price as a entry 330 or C320. You get the same smooth ride as the higher engine model, same everything almost. Most people dont get the sport pack because the dealer warns them of a harsher ride, although i dont feel any difference in ride quality really, but to some people that point just sticks in their head and turns them away.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:52 PM

'03 E39 530I
i dont know if you realize youre contradicting yourself. well, not eveyrbody cares about the performance of their vehicles. some people simply want the safety/robustness of the chassis without all the extras, and some people might want to spend their money on other things than gas guzzling toys. or maybe some just dont care what they drive. most people on the road cant even tell the models apart anyway. hey you get what you can afford, no need to justify it. the point is, whatever model one buys IS better for that person. wutcha gonna do when you pull your 4.4 up next to a g55k?

Originally Posted by ubrs
Why would I buy a 3 series instead of a 5?? hm more nimble...why instead of an M3? hm cause is not adequate for a family of four, if they made it in a sedan, I am in. Ofcourse, an M3 driver does not know this and I see how they could look down at me.. I see your point, however the reason why most people do not get the next model up is price, plain and simple... why bs, lets be honest, if I could afford a Porsche or a Ferrari that is what i would be driving, and regarding my X5, why did i get an 05 4.4 instead of a 4.8, plain and simple, the 4.8 is too much money...most people cannot admit the affordability factor, and they make the case why a lower model is so much better...

Last edited by straightSIX; 05-14-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by straightSIX
wutcha gonna do when you pull your 4.4 up next to a g55k?
hm...I thought this was about lower models of the same brand... If not this thread will never stop, what is the CLK 55 guy gonna do when a Ferrari Modena pulls up, and the Ferrari Modena guy would get screwed if someone pulled up in the new Bugatti Veyron...and so on...
Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 PM

'03 E39 530I
exactly, just be happy that youre DRIVING, not walking.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:13 AM

sold.
Originally Posted by ubrs
...most people cannot admit the affordability factor, and they make the case why a lower model is so much better...
I must disagree w/ you on that. My mother drives a 323i (Fully Loaded but still a 323). She is not into speed and whatnot so she didn't think the 328 was worth the extra money if she had no value for the bigger engine. It was not because of the price. And since you guys don't want to talk abt other brands, I'll use this example. She's looking to upgrade finally and wants a C Class Sedan. She wants the 240 (or 230, whatever it is) rather than a 320 because she says the extra few thousand isn't worth it. it's not because she can't afford it.

I purchased a CLK55 rather than a CLK320 or 500 for many reasons. One being speed, another being the extra luxury in the AMG Model, another being the AMG Status. I've gone so many places and met many rich ppl simply because I own an AMG. I'm not saying that lower models can't meet rich ppl but it just makes it easier. Meeting rich ppl isn't a big deal to some ppl but since I'm a businessman I enjoy discussing business and learning new things from ppl who are already rich since they've proven themselves. I know some ppl's wealth is out of luck but a good amount of rich ppl are actually smart and I enjoy learning about what they do. They say the rich get richer cuz they hangout and do business together so this is one of my ways of trying to get richer. It's crazy though how many ppl consider me rich cuz I own a benz AMG. Anyone can afford it if they work hard and make sacrifices. Anyways, just my two cents!

By the way, I didn't purchase a SL55/65 or CL55/65 for a few reasons but the major one being the cash-flow. I couldn't afford the 65 Models and I could afford the 55s but wasn't ready to fork out the cash (rather re-invest back into the bizzz).

Natalie:

I agree w/ your posts! Perception is definitely everything
Old 05-16-2005, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Just drive the car that makes you "Happy"
If you are not Feeding me, Financing me or F**%^#g me,
then why should I care about what you think of the model car I drive