Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Driving a car hard - what do you think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Driving a car hard - what do you think?

It's funny how the Mercedes AMG cars really do have a double persona - luxury clothed transportation, which can turn into a wild animal at a pedal's press.

This same "Double-sided" idea translates into another area for me too - and that is in how I drive the car. On one hand, I want to baby it, clean it, make sure it's always got what it needs before it needs it. For reference I have an S55 AMG.

And on the same token...it's nice to drive it like you stole it. You know, within the legal limits or on a track of course - things as simple as stop light accelerations, and things of that nature which keep the throttle on full alert and engaged.

Now, I'd like to hear your opinions on the cons and pros of spirited driving as it pertains to the car's mechanics. Obviously, driving something with more "oomph" should always be done cautiously as reckless driving can increase the chance of an accident or police coming after you.

Does it have any positive affect on the car's engine? Someone once told me less carbon is emitted if it is driving a bit more spirited, but what else is benefited by this?

The cons - mechanically things wear out faster. Things like tires, brakes, motor mounts, ball joints, and other items obviously will have to be replaced faster if a car is driven aggressively.

On a related note - are there any tracks on the NY tri-state area that you can go to, and use the track more leisurely? (i.e go around as much as you'd like without time limits, just to practice driving in a safer environment.)
Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
You only get one chance at life....enjoy it....cars are meant to be driven! Buy a Buick if you're going to pamper a car and drive it like you're 80. M/Bs are meant to driven and driven hard. Top shelf engineering enables these cars to take it and last. With solid maintenance and upkeep, these things will run forever.
Tires, brakes, ball joints....meant to wear out. Sometimes sooner than others, big deal, drive it, it can handle more than we can put it through on any street.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Glad to see another AMG owner truly enjoy his ride. Not sure about NY area, but there are a dozen or so hardcore folks here in the Southeast that end up renting tracks for our own personal use. Yes, even an S55 has joined us on more than one occasion.