Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Fair Warning to Potential Buyers of used MB's -> NAV Screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4MATIC
Fair Warning to Potential Buyers of used MB's -> NAV Screen

Hi all -
Sorry that I am constantly on this bandwagon. But just don't want any fellow forum members to get "screwed" when buying a used (or possibly new) MB, whatever the model.

Please take a very close look at the nav screen before buying. In the "off" state. They are very hard to clean and most people don't know how to do it.

They scratch and damage very easily. And frankly this goes unnoticed when the car is purcashed. Especially when used. Then it CANNOT be fixed. Is a huge, huge eyesore.

IMHO typically dealers try their trickery and say it can. Or hide it altogether. Check units for sale online sometime. They always have pics with the nav screen turned on. If it were off (black) the condition of the nav screen would be very apparent. I anticiapte that they many times bring the car to you for a test drive with the nav screen on...so the condition is not as apparent as when the nav screen is off. I even heard where one dealer removed the nav stating they didn't want it "stolen" while it was on lot. Scheisters.

Again the screen cannot be fixed. No way no how. Only way is to replace the whole unit compeltely (somehow I think MB knows this). To the tune of $4k!!! And with the way most Benz owners are the will eventually do this.

Also. When you have your car serviced or cleaned make sure to insist no one touches the nav screen. With the service person get agreement (preferably in writing) as to the condition of the nav screen before they take possession of your car. Then immediately review when you get the car back. If it is mucked up they would, of course, state this was the condition prior. This way you can protect yourselves.

An once of prevention worth a pound of cure.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
If it's not that noticeable when it's on, what's the big deal? That's the only time you'd need to look at it, when it's on...
Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by kevblah
If it's not that noticeable when it's on, what's the big deal? That's the only time you'd need to look at it, when it's on...
It depends a lot on the lighting in the car. Day v. night, sunny v. cloudy, pan shade closed or open, etc. I have a friend who got the S550 and didn't notice his screen originally. Now he does. He leaves his nav/radio on when driving. But says he can now notice depending on conditions above. And it drives him crazy. It's like having an LCD TV that's has been scratched up by his dog.

All I am saying is that it is commonly overlooked - for the $$$ spent on these cars the nav screen should be perfect. It is usually the geometric center of the dash outlay for most cars.

But feel free to get one that is all scratched up and leave the nav on all the time. For me it would drive me crazy. What's worse is it cannot be fixed. I've seen his. Just terrible.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 AM

2003 Lincoln LS V8
What's the proper way to clean it? Would products designed for an LCD monitor (which I planned on using before reading this thread) be safe?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Originally Posted by NickR41
It depends a lot on the lighting in the car. Day v. night, sunny v. cloudy, pan shade closed or open, etc. I have a friend who got the S550 and didn't notice his screen originally. Now he does. He leaves his nav/radio on when driving. But says he can now notice depending on conditions above. And it drives him crazy. It's like having an LCD TV that's has been scratched up by his dog.

All I am saying is that it is commonly overlooked - for the $$$ spent on these cars the nav screen should be perfect. It is usually the geometric center of the dash outlay for most cars.

But feel free to get one that is all scratched up and leave the nav on all the time. For me it would drive me crazy. What's worse is it cannot be fixed. I've seen his. Just terrible.
Yeah, that would suck to have a scratched up nav screen, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me personally. Luckily for me, my nav screen is spotless. Isn't the nav screen in the S550 shielded by a layer of plastic, because the one in my dad's car has the button to rotate it left and right and I remember it was behind something to protect it.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Originally Posted by StarPower
What's the proper way to clean it? Would products designed for an LCD monitor (which I planned on using before reading this thread) be safe?
All I do is dust mine with a microfiber cloth I keep in the car for dusting everything else too. I see no reason products for cleaning screens of monitors and TVs would harm anything. If you must buy a tub of the pre-moistened ones at WalMart.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The OP is being much too fussy for a used car buyer. Best bet for him would be to buy new.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by StarPower
If you search the net you'll see MB, Audi, Bimmer owners who have this problem. I have never seen one success in fixing. Just ask your local MB dealer. Only fix is a new unit as screen cannot be replaced.

If anyone like me a screen in this condition would drive me nutty. In fact there is a post today with someone trying to sell their COMAND (saying they want to do some upgrade). Look at the pic. IMHO their's isn't worth $10. From the pic it looks horrible to me. And they are trying to get $500. Probably found one on EBAY for $500 with a screen in mint condition.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by kevblah
Yeah, that would suck to have a scratched up nav screen, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me personally. Luckily for me, my nav screen is spotless. Isn't the nav screen in the S550 shielded by a layer of plastic, because the one in my dad's car has the button to rotate it left and right and I remember it was behind something to protect it.
I think new ones are probably ok but always good to check before delivery. But used or CPO's are the ones to worry about. I guarantee a lot of people have cleaned theirs with a paper towel or even cotton. It don't take much to damage them. I use the same microfiber cloth as my LCD TV. never ever water or any other solution. Apparently even oils from your fingers can stain, especially the older MY's. IMHO MB did a terrible job here and knows it. I think MY 2010's have a more scratch resistant surface on them.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:32 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sosh
The OP is being much too fussy for a used car buyer. Best bet for him would be to buy new.
I do appreciate your point. But let's be real. In most cases a used Benz costs more than most new cars. Imagine buying an AMG or "S" class and not noticing this. Sometimes even newer "E's".

To me this not fussy when a repalcement is around $4k. They are impossible to repair. It's not like having bad tires or a few minor imperfections in the body somewhere that can be buffed out.

Admittedly I am pretty ****. But most CPO's are sold as "mint" or "near-mint" condition. This is just something that is typically overlooked is all I am saying. This is not "mint". the interior, to me, is just as important as the exterior.

Sure, taking into account the cost replacement factor ($4k), model year and your tolerance level always dictates the decision. To me though it would be like buying a newer Benz that has a huge dent in the quarterpanel. Sure it isn't noticeable while driving...but I know it's there. Inevitably people say "what happened to your $50k S550?

Just a thought. Before buying ask that (definitely get in writing) that you want the nav screen fixed to your satisfaction after the sale. Pretty certain they will come back with some ridiculous excuse. Or give advice about where you can take to get fixed. Etc. It's just dealer babble. Private sellers...forget it unless the car has been inspected and they are $5k under Kelley's.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I do appreciate your point. But let's be real. In most cases a used Benz costs more than most new cars. Imagine buying an AMG or "S" class and not noticing this. Sometimes even newer "E's".

To me this not fussy when a repalcement is around $4k. They are impossible to repair. It's not like having bad tires or a few minor imperfections in the body somewhere that can be buffed out.

Admittedly I am pretty ****. But most CPO's are sold as "mint" or "near-mint" condition. This is just something that is typically overlooked is all I am saying. This is not "mint". the interior, to me, is just as important as the exterior.

Sure, taking into account the cost replacement factor ($4k), model year and your tolerance level always dictates the decision. To me though it would be like buying a newer Benz that has a huge dent in the quarterpanel. Sure it isn't noticeable while driving...but I know it's there. Inevitably people say "what happened to your $50k S550?

Just a thought. Before buying ask that (definitely get in writing) that you want the nav screen fixed to your satisfaction after the sale. Pretty certain they will come back with some ridiculous excuse. Or give advice about where you can take to get fixed. Etc. It's just dealer babble. Private sellers...forget it unless the car has been inspected and they are $5k under Kelley's.
Get a life!! Buy a new car!!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:57 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Honestly I have received many positive pm's on this topic and there has been many readers of this thread. So far only you have submitted any negative feedback.

One of the purposes of this forum is to get support, advice and opinions from fellow/potential MB owners. All I can say is that it has helped me (for other topics) on multiple occasions and I really appreciated that fact. I can guarantee you one thing - that there are a lot of other members here more like me than you when it comes to our cars. Sorry if that isn't a good enough idea of "life" for you. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

Maybe you just don't like the topic or don't care. And that's ok. But I think this will ultimately help some one far more than it would hurt anyone. My suggestion, read some other thread and you won't be so irritated.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts
'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
This is actually a very good point. Last Jan,i bought my one owner '06 CPO E55 with 17,000 miles and guess what..the Nav screen did have scratches. I called MB and was told it's not covered under CPO warranty.
I wish some one had brought this topic up sooner as i would have definately passed on the car.
Thanks for bringing up this issue..
Old 01-19-2010, 10:22 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Most of the scratching you see is actually the anti-glare LCD protector. This can be wiped off, carefully of course, and a new film applied. I have no affiliation, but look up 'nushield davyvue'

If the scratches are deep...then your screwed. Shall scratches and there's still hope
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
I suppose I should add a YMMV disclaimer to my above post

So...YMMV
Old 01-20-2010, 12:31 PM

2016 Jaguar FT-R
Indeed it is only the anti-glare coating. Mine has an spot from the wife's hand lotion. I am told that any ammonia based glass cleaner will remove the coating. I bought the NuVue shield and have that on my project list for when the coating gets worse. This whole issue is certainly no reason to refuse to buy an otherwise solid vehicle, if you are looking at one.
Larry
Old 01-30-2010, 07:57 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
Their might be another option. I noticed that MBDoctor has new screens in stock for 399. Thats still alot to pay for a small lcd screen but a site better than 4-6k for a new hu.
Before I would pay 4k for a new head I would replace the entire HU and stereo system with alpine and get all the features with steering whell controls, and still have a coin or 2 left over.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM

2010 e350 coupe
Honestly I have received many positive pm's on this topic and there has been many readers of this thread. So far only you have submitted any negative feedback.

One of the purposes of this forum is to get support, advice and opinions from fellow/potential MB owners. All I can say is that it has helped me (for other topics) on multiple occasions and I really appreciated that fact. I can guarantee you one thing - that there are a lot of other members here more like me than you when it comes to our cars. Sorry if that isn't a good enough idea of "life" for you. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

Maybe you just don't like the topic or don't care. And that's ok. But I think this will ultimately help some one far more than it would hurt anyone. My suggestion, read some other thread and you won't be so irritated.

I have to agree with you, and by reading this post I will be purchasing and installing a gps protective screen on my vehicle which is cheap insurance.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:15 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
Quit being a dick!! If you cannot contribute to the conversation, stay out.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 AM

2003 Lincoln LS V8
^^Well said!

This thread's not just for people looking at used cars, either. This information is equally useful for people who buy new cars and don't want to damage their screen.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM

2008 E350 4Matic
Has anyone successfully fixed a nav screen by removing the antiglare coating and applying one of these shields? Any photos of the finished result?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 AM

2008 E350 4Matic
Fixed Nav sceen

Just FYI, after much research I used windex and a microfiber cloth to remove the antiglare coating from the NAV screen and applied a Zagg screen protector. It took about 15 minutes to get it all off and I used some q-tips in the corners. It turned out very well and looks like new aside from a slight gloss due to the protector. Colors look the same and there are no issues with glare when viewing from different angles. I would not recommend this as it was pretty stressful modifying such an expensive part, but if the streaky anti-glare coating is a problem, this method worked.