Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

The Great Sirus Outage of 2010

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
The Great Sirus Outage of 2010

Just a heads up; there is a Sirius outage affecting only MB and Kia vehicles. This morning my car was updating its channel list and ever since I get a message on my COMMAND screen saying I am not a Sirius subscriber anymore. Apparently Sirius added some new XM content to their channel line up and this did not sit well with the MB head units. ETA for the fix is two days. My E class is affected but my wife's C is not (yet). Enjoy Sirius while you can
Old 04-06-2010, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Have not experienced this in either of my MB's yet. Is the fix a dealer fix or Siruis fix??
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
It's going to be a Sirius fix. They also offered me compensation for the duration of the outage.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, they don't know what the fix is yet nor do they have a time estimate. They're telling people 2 days because they have no grasp of the resolution. When it happened this morning I called in and was told it would be back on "shortly" - that they had already fixed it and they only needed to send another activation hit to my unit. That was after waiting on hold for 35 minutes to talk to somebody. This evening when it was still not working, I called in again. Only 20 minutes on hold that time. This time they said that they had tried to fix it, which is what then caused the Kia outage (initially it was only MB). They then said I should wait 2 days before calling back in. They indicated that we could be credited for days lost (no financial compensation) but that would require calling back in AGAIN (and waiting on hold again) after the system came back (whenever that is).

This was all an ill-planned marketing campaign to deliver XM content to Sirius users free for 2 weeks as a trial, in hopes that we'd pony up yet more cash to keep that content. Instead, they've killed our service. They won't roll back, because that would take the "campaign" away from all the non-MB and Non-Kia subscribers that they've advertised to. There is zero information posted on Sirius about this, and no assistance whatsoever to customers other than expecting them all to call into the understaffed customer service numbers and wait on hold forever. Simply another nail in the coffin lid of Sirius as they circle the drain.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 AM

By this morning the issue has been resolved. Sirius works just fine in my car now.