Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Buying used Mercedes from another state

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 SL550
Buying used Mercedes from another state

I am in the process of buying a used Mercedes from another state from an individual. I will have the car inspected to my satisfaction and I will have the title checked. I will send money to the seller. Any recommendations/ideas to protect myself for this purchase will be appreciated.Thank you,Joe.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Of course if the seller still owes on the car, that will complicate title matters.

Where I live we have a private enterprise organization that supplements the State MVD office (at car owner option) and the service they provide is very much worth the extra fee as are the shorter waits. The one time I did this it was a motorcycle trailer, and for the state girl the transaction was "impossible" but at "MVD Express" it was possible and easy, too.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by sifis
I am in the process of buying a used Mercedes from another state from an individual. I will have the car inspected to my satisfaction and I will have the title checked. I will send money to the seller. Any recommendations/ideas to protect myself for this purchase will be appreciated.Thank you,Joe.
First of all,do all communication via email so that you could have a little recourse later on..
1)- Get a PPI done espcially the tires/wheels/brakes and when is next service due ?
2)- Have the owner send you the paint meter reading to confirm if there's any paint work done or not ? If he is the original owner then he can confirm that in the email.
3)-Have him email you the front and the back of the title making sure there isn't any lein on it ?
4)- Does he have the 2 keys/manual and all the books ?
5)- Make sure he acknowledges your email about transferring money to him pending a clear title and car as described.
Hope it helps..
Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I would not do it

When i have sold cars that I located for someone I get a down pmt deliver the car and collect the balance when they are satisfied with the car.
Or Get the car inspected,fly there after you are assured the car is as portrayed and do the deal.
EVEN IF YOU FLY AND HAVE IT SHIPPED YOU WILL still be way ahead of the curve if you find the deal wonky and you need to pursue it legally.
Letting the full amount go into the wind is asking for problems.
Don't let it bite you in the ***.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Research the rules with you state department of motor vehicles before even starting this process. In Cali, an out of state car must have at least 6k miles on before you can bring it in. You have to go through the usual state smog and BS safety inspections but if the car was built for the US market this will not be a problem. I would not buy a car sight unseen. A plane ticket is cheap in comparison to unpleasant surprises. With that said, I sold a car to a gentleman in Canada who just relied on a PPI and tons pictures. I sent him all service records from new. I insisted he come at least look at the car but he trusted my representations and the PPI. He sent me a cashiers check for the full amount which cleared my bank before he sent a transport for the car. Evidently the importation process to Canada is a major PIA including substancial import duty and taxes. I think the two of us were a rare case of absolutely honest individuals spanning the usual chasm of mistrust when selling a used car.