Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Which Mercedes for a growing Family? ML, GLK, GL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Lexus Sedan
Which Mercedes for a growing Family? ML, GLK, GL?

Hey everyone,

I am brand new to these boards (well, I have been a lurker for a while, but now finally registered as a user), and need some serious advice.

I am a consultant with Arbonne, which is only relevant due to the fact that the company car they reward us with when we promote to the Vice President level is a White Mercedes. I am most likely going to be promoting in the next couple of months. We basically get a flat monthly bonus in our paycheck based on sales to cover the payments of our car, so we can't just splurge and get whatever model we want. We want to be smart with our money, so hoping to stay in the $40,000-ish range.

That being said, I have been researching as much as I can to figure out which vehicle would best suit us. We currently are parents to two boys, 4 and 18 months, and have a little girl on the way in October.

Style-wise, my favorite is the GLK. It is just super hot if you ask me. And of course the price point is pretty awesome too. We did test drive one before we found out we were pregnant, and loved it. Definitely doesn't "feel" as nice as the ML or GL, but that's what we expected for the price. Unfortunately, we are realizing now that we are having baby #3, the GLK may just not work. If I remember right the back seat is pretty small (husband is 6'2" and I'm 5'11"), and I think it may be totally impractical to try and squeeze three car seats back there (although I know the Sunshine Kids seats would probably make it work, but still). Totally sucks, cause I see those things driving around town and I just DROOL.

Practicality-wise, the GL makes the most sense. There are only two drawbacks: price and mileage. I will most likely be driving whatever car we get everywhere for my business, and although I do get to write off my miles, I still have to pay for my gas up front. So, my thoughts on this have been to possibly look into an older Diesel model. I honestly just don't have much experience with Mercedes vehicles other than test driving most of them once or twice...so I don't know if that would be a smart move or not (meaning, I don't know the track record of the older 2008-ish GL diesels, I just saw they get about the same mileage as a GLK). My other concern about the GL is that even though there is a 3rd row, how do you make that work if all the kids are in a car seat? Does that make the accessibility to the back seat difficult?

Lastly, we have the ML. Mid-price range, larger back seat, but still with only seating for 5. And honestly, it's just not my favorite style. I love the new 2012 model, but I think it will be out of our price range to buy a brand new 2012 model.

Okay, so ALL that to say (sorry so long, trying to fit in all the details)...what would YOU do? Do you have experience with fitting a growing family of 3 or more with carseats into a MB? All suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks to all for advice, and thanks for reading my rambling.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:24 PM

2008 ML350
I think for the price of used GL diesel you will be able to get 2012 ML.
Getting 3rd seat to work without having to remove at least one car seat… I don’t think so…

Have you considered Sprinter?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 PM

1998 Lexus Sedan
Ah, the Sprinter. Sorry, I just can't do it. I have been working hard for this promotion, and lets just say that wouldn't be all that motivational to me, haha. I want my very first Benz to be HOT! I know I am going to have to compromise somewhere because of this...but that's why I'm trying to see what my best option is...

And what I was asking with the GL about third row access was in relation to ONE car seat in the middle row. and I'm assuming there aren't options for Captains chairs, right?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 PM

2008 ML350
With just one car seat you should have no problem getting to the third seat.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Best thing about ML and GL is availablity of diesel power.

Not yet for GLK.

Don't forget R-class ... also available with diesel power.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Diesel would aid in fuel economy.
Do you have to deal (or visit) snow zones?

Growing family? Dogs, bicycles, four kids + parents, boat towing...is that the definition?

I think you can pick which Benz is best once you define all your criteria.

FWIW - AMG 63 station wagon if no snow - although not on your list.

R class (as mentioned above) could be a good.

Last edited by KENNY94945; 07-09-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 S550 4MATIC, 2007 R-350
R class

Test drive the R- Class. You might like it for the large interior space.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
+1, given your situation (3 kids) and budget, the R-class is probably your best choice.

if the R-class is not your type, then deal with the space limitations in an ML or stretch your budget to a GL
Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I currently have a GLK and although it is perfect for my me, my wife and the dog I think it would be too small for two or three kids.

Check out the larger models, including the R-Class.

Good luck!