Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What's up with dealers not giving test drives?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB G500
What's up with dealers not giving test drives?

Hey all,

I've been reading various posts about how some dealers won't give test drives. How many people have experienced this? I didn't even ask for a test drive, but simply asked to see the car; however, my salesperson said, "Let's take it for a spin."

Why don't dealers let you drive their cars?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's a good question. Our dealer offered a test drive too.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:55 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320, 2003 C230 Kompressor
Hell, my dealer goes even better than a test drive.....He gives me the car for atleast three days to drive. He has done this on more than one occasion....The last timeI had it 5 days...but did end up buying that one.......

However, a day after I signed the paperwork.....they swapped out the car for a different C230 SC that I was not told or shown that they had.

They always seem to go the extra mile to make me happy.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 C230 Kompressor Sport
That's amazing! (and ridiculous.)
Old 06-19-2003, 04:48 PM

I believe in America, its called "discrimination!"

When I was looking to purchase my M3 a year ago I actually encountered the same situation. Dealer told me I can not test drive the M3 because it is a special vehicle.

Keep in mind, the sales guy was checking out how I look when I drove in the lot. Also, I drove my honda accord and I was wearing torn up blue jeans, t-shirt, baseball cap and burkenstock slippers (my every day clothes).

So I told the dealer, "show me in your corporate policy that I am not allowed to test drive the M3? If you can not produce such document, I will report this dealership to the local news and have my lawyer contact your dealership for discrimination! Also, I will hire a private investigator to look into your sales operations, with hidden cameras and all."

Dealer said, "hold on let me check with our manager." General Manager comes out, "apologize for the frustration sir, our sales guy is new at this dealership, which car do you want to test drive?" I like to test drive your Z8. The sales guy looked at me funny, probably saying, wait a minute, thats not the car he wanted to test drive.

True story man...all of a sudden a NO test drive becomes, which car will you like to test drive after I use the words, media, lawyer and investigation.

And HELL NO!!!!!!! I did not buy my M3 from them. I did enjoy the joy ride of a Z8.

Brembo
Old 06-19-2003, 05:12 PM

Same thing happened to me. Not only did they want over sticker (at first), they said that all of the E55's are sold and I can not test drive one.

It is ridiculous to pay $80k for a car without driving it first. And they also wanted a non-refundable $5000.00 deposit.

Whatever. I'll keep my CLK55 for another year or so.

BTW, it was not discrimination with them. They are just pompous here in NY. The funny thing is the salesman act as if they could actually afford one of them.

It is like a DJ thinking he is actually in the music business!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320, 2003 C230 Kompressor
I don't know where you guys live, but I'm glad I don't live there.....My salesman called me at home and said he had a new E55 on the lot.....stop by and I'll let you take it out for a test drive......Knowing that I had no intention of buying a car at that time......
Old 06-19-2003, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
The only reason I could think of is that particular car has been sold, Special order, LImited Production models, or even they just didn't want any more mileage on top on whatever on already. I don't know if there is a limit on how much would be considered as demo.

BTW, Porsche is the only place that I went to did not want to give anyone a test drive of the 911s. And Acura which the only MDX on the lot was sold. However, I could sit in it and look at the features. That's.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by benz2
I don't know where you guys live......
Benz2 - I live in a town where people have gun racks in back of their H2s, and 2003 Twin Turbo Porsches with ski racks. And their children who do not have drivers license yet, they either ride their pocket bikes to school or does annoying go-peds.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:07 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I get cars for couple of days to test drive from my dealer, I've bought about 8 cars from them and who knows how many refferals.... So they treat me pretty good...
Old 06-20-2003, 08:38 PM

I think it is only because I am always buying a car that they want over sticker for.

When I bought my wifes SUV, I did not have a problem.

It was when I tried to test drive a CLK55, E55, C32, M3, M5, 993, etc.

I'll just buy my cars one year old like I did with my CLK55, the dealer (not a mercedes dealer) gave me the keys and a plate and let me go.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:35 AM
Almost a Member!

What about AMG cars? If you are going to be the owner would you want some idiot trying to learn how to drive a high-performance car having a go at the car you will probably pay over sticker for. On the other hand most dealers will feel you out for ability to purchase and then let you drive the unit if you seem eligible. It's a sticky situation for the dealer. Speak with a sales manager first and a test drive will happen.
AMG engines are built to tight tolerances and should be properly broken in!!!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:29 AM

I already have a CLK55. They just put themselves and their cars on a pedestal.

They know how much I make. It is not an issue of funds or anything like that.

I understand in a way though. I am just going to wait for them to be used a year from now and see what is out there.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Almost a Member!

If you are a true MB enthusiast, and plan on buying and maintaining MB's for a while you should get to know your local dealer. Over time you will reap the benefits of First Class Plus treatment in sales and service.
You must realize that dealers contend with a lot of curious MB shoppers, and a good dealer cherishes a true blooded MB client. It's not snobbery but protection for buyers such as the enthusiat that visit this site. Find a consultant or manager that shares your passion for fine automobiles and build a relationship. These are the guys that will take care of you and keep you in the know.
I don't want someone to experiment (test driving) a car I plan on buying and pamperiing; especially if it's an AMG.
I am not sure if I want to buy a used high performance machine without knowing who owned it, and what was their level of appreciation for this type of car. AMG cars are precision instruments that can take the abuse, however like any fine instrument they take a sophisticated level of maintenance and understanding.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:48 PM

C230K
Originally posted by voudou58

AMG engines are built to tight tolerances and should be properly broken in!!!!!
i thought they came pre-broken in from the factory or something
Old 07-01-2003, 11:33 AM

2003 C32
Originally posted by Vince
i thought they came pre-broken in from the factory or something
No, AMG still recommends a break-in period of 1000 miles.

My local dealer would give test drives of AMGs to preferred clients (you'd bought there before) else you had to put down a deposit (this might have been due to the totalling of a C32 on a test drive a few months earlier).

Here's your alternative to "Somebody test driving your AMG":

At a local Audi dealer, any new car they receive is used as a loaner until it is picked up or sold. A friend of mine picked up his S4 the day after it had arrived on the truck (he had custom ordered it) to find it had 82 miles on it. This was because it was given as a loaner after coming off the truck.

Now *that* would **** me off.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:04 PM

My point is there should be at least one dealer in an area that has one car to test drive for the AMG level.

I may not like the handling feel of the new E55 and opt out when the car is delivered.

It is pretty hard to get your deposit back at that point.

You know the owner or sales manager has the most desirable cars in their garage.