Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Catalytic Converter Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 500 w215
Catalytic Converter Question

So one of them went bad recently on my CL.

i took to my friends shop and we cut it open removed the inside stuff and welded it back together
this was about a week ago helped stop the rattling sound.
did it as a temporary fix
but i actually need to redo my inspection

question is am i gonna fail the inspection if the inside of the cat is empty?

its the front left cat. theres 2 in the back and 2 in the front. all the others are doing just fine.

i could wait and drive without inspection for about a month and half thats when ill be gettin my new cat. its gonna run me like $850 total for installation etc.

just wondering if it wil be ok to go get my new inspection i heard its not good to get caugh without one haha

thanks for ur time!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Yes you will fail. Unless you can learn how to built a simulator for your post cat O2 sensor.

The front 2 O2 sensors are what the computer uses to help the engine run properly. The second set of O2 sensors behind the cats are just there to play as tattle tales on if your cat isn't doing its job anymore. This will throw a code and cause you to fail an inspection. Build a simulator or see if one of the performance shops can disable these on your PCM for you.

Oh and yes the fines for removing a catalytic converter are HUGE! Mainly for if a shop is caught removing it (buy your buddy a case of beer for risking his ***). You could play dumb if you bought the car used but you could potentially be fined pretty significantly as well. (couple grand) These are federally mandated and they take it pretty seriously when you tamper with them.

All that said, do one of the things I suggested in the first paragraph if you don't mind your exhaust having a bit of a smell to it as it does now and save yourself a good bit of money. This may become an issue when you go to sell the vehicle though. You knoe the facts now, you can make your decision.

Last edited by BBBSS; 01-28-2012 at 01:54 AM.