Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Bumper Painting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slk 230 & CLK500
Bumper Painting

Have an 03 CLK500 in brilliant silver & an 03 SLK230 in Magma Red. Where I live we don't use front license plates but both cars came with the mounts already attached. Dealer said if I want he will send both out to the body shop & have the holes repaired & repainted. One told me they just repair the small area of the holes & another said the whole bumper gets taken off & repainted. Either way I am skeptical about it looking the same & lasting as long. My questions are should I do it, I am not sure they can do the same quality as the factory & I have seen other cars with ripples in the clearcoat including one of mine previously that was hit. Would you leave it as is & put a fancy plate on or send away for bumper plugs. I heard with bumpers they have to put the right amount of flex in the paint or else it peels. What would you do???
Old 07-08-2003, 12:24 PM

Audi 80 Quattro (with a couple of modifications)
I would take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. Matching a factory paint is very easy to do, they have paint codes that tell them exactly how to mix the paint. A good painter will be able to do as good if not a better job than the factory. And if it's not perfect, make him fix it or do not pay for it.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:51 PM

Slk 230 & CLK500
There is the problem, the dealer is paying for it. Had a bad experience with clearcoat as it seems no matter what it is never a smooth as the factory. Hate to redo both bumpers & who knows peel in the future.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:22 PM

E55
Factory paint is baked on under very controlled conditions. They start with an absolutely clean, dust-free piece and paint in a very controlled enviroment. Not so in the field. A reoaint is never as good and/or durable. Go for the plugs ( painted to match)>