Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Leak Down Test in General

Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
Leak Down Test in General

Today at work I got a 2004 Audi S4 81K Miles, bought at auction for insane low $$$ Great shape except smoke and misfire...The car smokes from the right tail pipe only (oil smoke) anyways i changed plugs cleared codes and fired up it revs awesome but still misfire cylinder 2 and smoke. So i run a compression test 0 yep 0 compression okay maybe 20psi on cylinder, spark plug and top of piston in that cyl covered in oil, okay next step Leak Down Test I set it to TDC with a long 1/4 extension in the hole and watching it go up as high as it can go...anyways I get it to TDC and leak down test shows 100% leak LOL cannot figure out where the air is going (it was late, so i said hell with it until tomorrow...My question is as I did the Leak down test i was playing with the crank position to make sure it was at TDC and noticed i could hear air coming from dip stick tube in certain positions of the stroke? Is that right, i thought there should never be air from the dipstick tube unless the rings are gone. Isnt't it suppose to be sealed 100% of the time minus intake and exhaust valves?