Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

The merger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Jer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320
The merger

My 2 cents on the DB and Chrysler merger:

"In 1998, two companies steeped in tradition – Daimler-Benz AG and Chrysler Corporation – merged. They actively shaped, and left their mark on, every chapter in the history of the motor vehicle." (www.daimlerchrysler.de)

Daimler-Benz Aktiengesellschaft had (and still has) a reputation for designing and building automobiles which will be around long after their owners have left this world.

Chrysler had a reputation for building lousy automobiles (Actually, they're not even good enough to be called that. They're just 'cars.').

Go back about 15 years. What were these two companies doing?

DB was making vehicles that were not only beautiful and reliable, but also safe. How many American or even Japanese auto manufacturers introduced airbags and belt tensioners in the '80s? What was Chrysler doing? Rolling crappy Reliant Ks and Sundances off its production lines. Not to mention oil-burning Plymouth minivans with awful emissions.

Now with the corporate name DaimlerChrysler, what happened to Benz? Did everyone just forget about Karl Benz's contribution to the Mercedes name? If it wasn't for his engines, there would be no Mercedes-Benz today.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
And now with Chrysler's participation, the quality is going back to the VALIANT.

With a possible future partner from the PRC, we might see a future car like the TRABANT, made out of cardboard or PRC jeeps made out of rice paper.

That would yield some serious price reduction for the Gelaendewagen and performance increase...

...and with the weight reduction, you would not lose your fillings, when driving over railroad tracks in a Gelaendewagen!!

That's PROGRESS?

:o :o :o
Old 08-26-2003, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
This topic has been beat to death in threads all over this board. The bottom line: Chrysler is destroying Mercedes-Benz. If it says "Daimler-Chrysler" under the hood, you should reconsider. If it says "Daimler-Benz AG" it's ok to buy. I've heard many arguements about Mercedes' quality going down hill since 93, and that may be, but I still attribute Mercedes quality fall to the Chrysler merger, it did everything to accelerate it. Thank God I own a 1995 model!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Jer

1994 E320
What events took place in '93 that some believe hurt MB quality? My guess is the increasing use of computers to handle vehicle functions and operation. Or perhaps increasing use of plastic parts (and those silly plastic engine covers). I miss the pulse readout and the piezo-electric buzzers.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Some will attribute the falling of quality from 92-93 on up to the use of cheaper interior parts, I must say evident in my W 202, and then there are some who attribute it to the use of more electronics. I don't really think that the overall quality in the 90's was near as bad as 2000 up models.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:58 PM

It's like the W220 S-class for example, when my grandfather bought a 2000 and got it in Setpember of 1999 he has had nothing good to say about it since he bought it! All he does he cuss the SOB and actually tried get use the lemon law against it! I'll tell ya MB sure lost his business seeing how he gets a new S every year! I think the quality has dropped because they try to meet demand and rush the whole process and seeing how they aren't hand built(not even a 1/3) like they used to be which makes them not much better than buying a Ford Taurus IMO!!! I sure hope quality improves dramatically!

DOMINIC