Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Checking Oil Level on a 2013 C300 4Matic Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic Sport
Checking Oil Level on a 2013 C300 4Matic Sport

I need some really simple help guys. I just brought home my first MB vehicle yesterday. It’s a 2013 C300 4Matic Sport. While I was going over things about the car with the dealer salesman, he proceeds to tell me that this model does not have a dipstick and oil level is checked electronically. While we were looking under the hood I ask him what this “dipstick appearing” thing is on the right side of the engine near the firewall. He tells me that’s the transmission oil dipstick. OK….So later, I’m reading through the owner’s manual on how to check the oil level. First there is nothing in the manual about electronic oil level. But, it shows a nice picture of the engine compartment with the dipstick on the left side between the engine and firewall. I must be blind because it’s not there. So what gives? Is the manual wrong? Is this green colored knob that is a dipstick on the right side of the engine for oil or transmission?????
As a side note, in the owner’s manual for my wife’s 2009 BMW 328xi, it shows a dipstick to check engine oil. Well, it doesn’t have one. It’s done electronically.
As an engineer, I’m a bit disheartened at these simple mistakes, especially from two companies that pride themselves in “engineering”….
Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLA 250, 2011 C63 P31 (p30 w/ lsd) (in repair), 2005 C230 Sport Eurocharged, 2003 C320~sold
I will see what I can find but on my older model you can check your oil from the main display with the odometer. To check if the oil level is fine on mine I turn the key to position 1 (not run or start), select the menu so you can see the mileage and then you scroll through that menu until it says about the engine oil level using the up arrow. Turn the key to position 2 (run) when you are there and it will either say ok, add or remove oil.

To get the actual amount of oil on mine I can enter a dyno mode. I turn the key to position 1 (not run or start), select the menu so you can see the mileage, and I push the reset button 3 times. This will bring up another menu that's available to scroll through and you can see a spot for the oil level in dashes. Turn the key to position 2 and it will show the actual liters.

Also there aren't dipsticks on mine but there should be 2 tubes that look like would be a dipstick--1 for oil and 1 for the transmission. Mine only has caps on it to seal it. The transmission one has a break away cap that needs replaced if you do it and on mine the oil has o-rings that I can pull the cap off to syphone the oil out.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLA 250, 2011 C63 P31 (p30 w/ lsd) (in repair), 2005 C230 Sport Eurocharged, 2003 C320~sold
Ok totally redesign and not even close :P
That dipstick you see is for the oil and from what I see should be on the left side facing the engine. There is no transmission dipstick any longer and only has an overflow plug on the transmission itself.

You should still be able to get into some sort of dyno mode to maybe check more things out but not sure on the new model if its different. On the older W204 you would push the phone button and hold ok right after that for a minute still when the mileage is shown.

Here is info on the trans https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...nsmission.html
And to get into the additional settings here's a video (the video is to reset the maintenance interval but there is vehicle data and dyno test also)