Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Rude MB owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
Rude MB owners?

I don't mean to get off on a rant here (OK, on "another" rant), but what's up with rude MB owners?

Nod or don't nod?

I usually always give a 'nod of appreciation' to ANYONE in a cool car, MB or not. But when I see another MB, no matter what class, no matter what year, I always give a nod. Now when I see another AMG ... I make eye contact with the driver ... nod a few times AND smile (really going out of my way ... LOL).

The funny thing is, most nod's to 'non-MB' drivers usually garner a return nod (maybe because I'm in my fine machine when I nod-first), but a return-not nonetheless.

Now when it comes to MB owners ... their simply 'nod-less'. What surprises me even more ... is that fellow AMG owners NEVER nod ... as a matter of fact ... most try and race me!

Now maybe I'm just offensive looking, or maybe its the people here in Florida (the first is possible depending on your perspective ... but the second is not true overall) ... but gimme-a-break ... would a little nod kill you?

Regarding the AMG owners trying to race-me (maybe their trying to get away from me!) ... I thought there was an unspoken rule in the car-world that you don't race your own brand? (maybe that comes from growing up in rural Colorado with only souped up Novas and GTO's in the whole area).

Just got home from the office ... and passed two CLK-430's ... NO NOD. Same trip, side-by-side with a ML55: I nod, he doesn't.

Maybe I'm taking this 'MB Brotherhood' thing too far, but its not like i'm asking to date your daughter ... or inviting myself over for dinner ... its just a freaking NOD for G_d's sakes!!!

thank you very much.

Last edited by Drew; 03-12-2002 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Oh God!

Drew get a cell phone, or some better music for the cd player. You have way too much time on your hands to be worrying about nodding. Where you are, you should be glad they do not jack from you other side of the car while you are looking for the nod.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:58 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drew

Lol! I think you should have done this.. . lol!
Old 03-12-2002, 09:06 PM

I havent had this happen to me at all!? I dont usually nod because usually I have music going but when I am in my E55 and I see another AMG (rarely) I tell them nice car or give em some kind of gesture.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2002, 10:03 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I do miss that from my Miata days.... all Miata people flash lights to each other... I've noticed too most MB people are nod-less...
Old 03-12-2002, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Drew:

I was not aware of the NOD MB-owner etiquette. With the Corvette owners, it is the WAVE, which is generally practiced today among vettes. Decades ago, when BMWs were beginning to reach the shores of the USA, the blinking of lights was commonplace, when another 2002 was coming into sight. Some Porsche owners still practice blinking.

Now back to the MB owners' gestures/greetings. Since I do not have a long record of MB ownership, I find that reciprocity to a nod, wave or blink is lacking.

I am thinking... Perhaps a THUMBs-UP gesture, would not be considered a taboo?!
Old 03-13-2002, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Last Sunday I was on the Sawgrass Expressway and some guy in a E55 kept nodding at me, I was like; "What the hell is he doing"... was this you Drew? LOL!
Old 03-13-2002, 09:48 AM

E55
With the number of MB's I see every day if I tried to nod to each one I could fall prey to MB Nod-neck syndrome - for which there is no known cure!!
Old 03-13-2002, 01:27 PM

'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
ROTFLMAO !!!

All your reply's are too funny!! (I'm still laughing John!)

(at least the topic is fresh ... don't think I can take another tire or window tint question!)

I guess I just miss my Corvette days (as Karl said). I owned a few from '87-'94. It was kinda neat to have the recognition thing happening evertime you took out your ride.

However, all my 'Nod-Less' friends, I'm not going to apologize to all of you who don't appreciate my desire to show my mutual-affection for the pride in ownership of our fine mark, as well as the mutual respect to all who toiled and saved in order to purchase a vehicle that few will ever own, nor will they be privileged to experience the pride we feel as we drive down the road.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Last edited by Drew; 03-13-2002 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:22 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
Too many Benz's for that

Its very different when you see someone else in an exotic car like your own, than seeing them every minute. I see a fair number of AMG vehicles and dozens of other Benz's, mostly E series, all day. So, like Corgi, I could not possibly nod at all of them. I do on occassion notice an unusual MB and will give them the thumbs up, but as a rule I just cruise. I have yet to see someone else with a C32 on the road since I have owned one (now about 3 months). I see more CLK55's than anything else from AMG.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:40 PM

500 SEC
Hey Drew,
You like Nodding at MB's?
Go to any corner on Rodeo Drive in CA and you can nod your little noggin off. Every other car is an MB.
Fact is I suggest that you stay at the Beverly Hilton, (Merv's place, he has a green SL600, it may be parked out front). Get up in the morning walk down to the STARBUCKS get a cup of double expresso, (you gonna need it) walk out front and have at it!
Another small point is that if you really want to continue your FUN. THere is a Budget Rental Car store directy accross from the STARBUCKS where you can rent a SL500. Or you can simply go over there and give them a NOD! (for thier good taste)

P.S. I am not sure how many "cool cars" you have driven, but if you have driven a few you would realize it grows very tiresome waving and nodding all the time!
Old 03-17-2002, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

for me to be nodding at somebody.. it ain't the car that matters... it's the person inside... if the person is a hottie.. she could be driving a pinto... i'll be nodding away :p
Old 03-18-2002, 09:24 AM

500 SEC
Hey FUZZO,

Just remember one thing -

"There aint no champagne in the champagne room!"

- Chris Rock - Rocks
Old 03-22-2002, 11:49 AM

CLK55 Cab
How exactly do you do the MB nod? Is one quick nod or one slow nod or just keep noding until they see you?
Old 03-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
When I had a Jeep Wrangler, we used to give each other a little wave. It happened in Mass, in Ohio, and here in Texas. Haven't noticed any MB "nods" though.... Of course, I only drive a Baby Benz.

Hey Drew, do you think that they're not nodding back because of your license plate??? Hmmm.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:37 PM

CLK55 Cab
[Hey Drew, do you think that they're not nodding back because of your license plate??? Hmmm. [/B][/QUOTE]

Good point must be the lic. plate
Old 03-27-2002, 04:42 PM
jay

2002 C230K Sports Coupe
Now , if you just knew the secret handshake...all whould be ok...
Old 03-29-2002, 12:58 AM

CLK 500
Chris rock said "no sex in the champagne room!"
as i remember it correctly. but, i ain't gonna listen to him!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 03:17 PM

500 SEC
Originally posted by Lbenz1375
Chris rock said "no sex in the champagne room!"
as i remember it correctly. but, i ain't gonna listen to him!!!
Hey Hey!
Good Point!
So there are those who see this stuff. I thought that I was using inviable ink in my posts.
So where is the champagne? NOT in the MB sales office either!
Old 04-01-2002, 02:29 AM

2004 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 E320, 2002 ML320, 1986 Porsche 944
Ditto the observation in an area where there are too many MBs. You'd get a crick in the neck from too much nodding.

And in a major metro like LA and NY, people are too paranoid about responding to other people's gestures; sometimes it's an invitation for trouble.

So, if someone doesn't nod back, take these into consideration.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:04 AM

500 SEC
Hmmm, lets see you are a BUGFIGHTER cause you drive a motorcycle or you are attempting to keep those acidic juices from eating through the paint?

Either way you are from LA and know about Rodeo Drive!

Every other car being an MB is no exaggeration eh? (no I am not Canadian but I like to ski there every chance I get)

Tell these good people from FLA what COOL cars are all about!

I can remember seeing some great stuff on the five or one-oh-five tooling down to get a hugh burrito in san jaun cap (you know the place?). Maybe Vanos will jump in here, he said he ran his MB out a bit on the five. Hard to belive he got the room to do it huh?

Anyway this aint the Jeep club, and the sixties BUGS are just not as cool anymore, and you are right nodding to someone in one of these type of automobiles gets you some quizical responses. I can remember driving one of those Morris Garage roadsters years back and we used to give a wave cause there were not many of them in the states. Hey times change and today they are changing probably a bit more "twisted" than in years gone by.