Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Scratch Resistant Clearcoat Paint Coming!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Scratch Resistant Clearcoat Paint Coming!

"World premiere at Mercedes-Benz: Innovative nano-particle clearcoat offers significantly greater scratch resistance and improved gloss

Stuttgart, Dec 03, 2003

After four years of development work, an innovative new clear lacquer is set to go into series production at Mercedes-Benz at the end of 2003. Ground-breaking nano-technology ensures that the new product is substantially more scratch-resistant than conventional paint. The E, S, CL, SL and SLK-Class model series are the first cars in the world to be available with this new paint system, whilst customers of other Mercedes models can look forward to the increased scratch resistance of nano-paintwork from spring 2004. This new technology represents the Stuttgart-based car maker’s latest significant contribution towards considerably enhancing the already exemplary long-term quality and value retention of its passenger cars.

The newly developed clear lacquer, which contains microscopically small ceramic particles, hardens in the paintshop oven, forming an extensively cross-linked network. The paint is thus more effectively protected against scratches caused by mechanical car-washes, for example. The nano-particles provide a three-fold improvement in the scratch resistance of the paintwork and ensure visibly enhanced gloss over an extended period of time. Following extreme tests in a laboratory car-wash, Mercedes engineers noted an around 40-percent improvement in paint gloss compared to conventional clear lacquers."

Last edited by E55 KEV; 12-04-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S 600
This is great news. Classic Motoring had put out a newsletter about a month ago talking about this product. The ceramic clearcoat is already being used on the Maybach.

Currently, MB had opted for a clearcoat which was softer than American or Japanese clearcoats but it gave better depth and shine.....now it's the best of both worlds!
Old 12-03-2003, 05:06 PM

2005 SLK 55
Chip resistance?

I wonder if this new paint technology will improve chip resistance?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:13 PM

Re: Chip resistance?

Originally posted by Driller
I wonder if this new paint technology will improve chip resistance?
Yes, it should. That was the primary goal of infusing the ceramic particles into the lacquer.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
So do you think this means no more swirls when handwashing?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:27 AM

2004 S 600
Originally posted by IluvS500
So do you think this means no more swirls when handwashing?
Classic Motoring write up said it is impervious to automatic car washes....the type that slap the hell out of your car with material imbedded with sand and grit.

So, one would asume that proper hand washing wouldn't create even the finest swirl marks.

Now, even slobs can enjoy a good looking black MB......which use to be the realm reserved for detailing nuts that knew how to "polish" a finish correctly.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Well thats awesome, I am starting my own business and by march 05 I "may be" behind the wheel of a S500. No bashing please. I know im fifteen and blah blah blah please no bashing lets stay on topic. I always wanted a black benz then when I cleaned a Black S500 I went crazy and swore I would never buy one. But my mind is made up. IM GETTING BLACK. That is if it all works out like planned.