Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Lexus problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
EddieGTP: I think your right to an extent. We have an off-topic for that reason and this forum is for Mercedes only, why this poster needs to rag on Lexus to make his purchase of a Mercedes better astounds me, but hey, it's a free country (I'm in America, and that's before tax.. )

However posts like this that directly compare say a LS430 vs 7 Series vs W220 should be in the W220 forum because they involve that specified vehicle.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300SD Champagne/Palomino
vraa, I partially agree with you. Mercedes is still the "shizat" car.....

BUT you do have a point and thank you for pointing it out to me.....Screw all the other cars....I'm in this forum to talk about Mercedes-Benz!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

LOL! Nice to know we're on semi-agreeing terms now.

*Sigh* No they aren't.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:50 AM

Not a Benzer anymore
As long as comparisons don't include "looks" :)

Great

Comparisons are great when they compare vehicles, and anything else, in a non-that-car-is stupid way...

Most posts which compare things from different mfgs start out well, but somewhere after the 5th post, emotions come in to play and then all valid comparisons are off...
Old 12-12-2003, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1sic LEX

Didnt you TOTAL your GS4? For someone who is so passionate about lexus models, didnt your lexus abandon you when you needed it the most? During a turn?

Here is a quote from the thread over at club lexus...

Thanks ya'll. It's not a joke. And no, I was not racing (for a change). I just totally miscalculated my speed and misjudged the North Ave exit that I have taken thousands of times.

Here is the link

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...hreadid=100587

Pictures are on page 9

Last edited by J Lucas; 12-12-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:30 PM

Not a Benzer anymore
No Car in the World Would NOT abandon you...

No car what-so-ever will ever stay with you under these circumstances:

"After talking to my friends more, doing research, it seems I simply blacked out and fell asleep. There are no SKID MARKS into the accident which means I must have been asleep. I did not brake up. So we hit the car full force. "

But he did say this:

"I guess I went up the curb and the car hit the brick wall at an upward angle b/c the hood is fine, the headlights are fine, the sunroof closes, no windows are cracked amazing. The car really PROTECTED us. My wheels though are all focked up, tires shredded, rims bent."

He says this could have occured at 60 mph...

Through out the messages, he is honest and I'm happy he is here to keep this message thread going

Last edited by EddieGTP; 12-12-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your assuming that he is telling the truth about about falling asleep. In that case, I can assume that he is lying and thought his modded gs was a true sports car and took the turn going a bit too fast for the car.. The back came out, he overcorrected and ran off road....
/AssumptionOFF
Old 12-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Guest0001

That guy really thought he can pull a turn like that with "L tuned sport supsension"???

Learn how to drive mr Slick Lex, and no lexus is not a sports car
Old 12-12-2003, 06:26 PM

Lexus SC300
This is my first time on MB forums. I've been reading this thread and I can't understand why we don't appreciate each other’s cars. I'm an auto enthusiast and I don't discriminate or hate. If I see a nice MB or BMW, I'll approach the owner and speak with him/her about their car, compliments and all. In fact I met an owner of a beautiful SL500 at my gym. This guy was so cool, he even let me drive the beast. Of course I let him drive my SC as well. We both commented on each other’s car and walked away happy. I've done the same with a G35 and 325 owner.

Man, I don't care what car you have, you're going to have problems.

Marcus
Old 12-12-2003, 08:00 PM

Lexus GS 450h
That way, those who want to read and post msgs about other cars can do so there and those who don't care about what the Jones' are doing, don't have to continue to see how people are wasting there time comparing apples to oranges.
None of these threads are started by Lexus owners. They are all started by Benz owners. This guy found a Lexus owner in Italy to find some problems.
Didnt you TOTAL your GS4? For someone who is so passionate about lexus models, didnt your lexus abandon you when you needed it the most? During a turn?
No, it was there when I needed it most. All 4 of us walked out the car with not a scratch. Just a lil shaken up from hitting that wall at high speed. The pics prove, the car held up like a tank.
Through out the messages, he is honest and I'm happy he is here to keep this message thread going
Thank you. I went to my monthly Lexus meet 2 days afterwards, I planned the Autozone meet the week afterwards to show it's just a focking car, it can be replaced. Jeez, life goes on.
No car what-so-ever will ever stay with you under these circumstances
Nope. It was my first accident, I am still pissed I blew my perfect driving record.
Your assuming that he is telling the truth about about falling asleep. In that case, I can assume that he is lying and thought his modded gs was a true sports car and took the turn going a bit too fast for the car.. The back came out, he overcorrected and ran off road....
Learn how to drive mr Slick Lex, and no lexus is not a sports car
You guys are lame. I NEVER said my car was a sports car. Shoot it weighs 3750 lbs, it's an automatic. What Benz is a sports car? But with the modifications, the car was simply awesome, a total different beast. In meeting BMW owners and us test driving a 540 6 speed vs my car, we agreed, acceleration was negligible but my car cornered way flatter and faster than his. I was very flattered the first time I heard this.

I never plan to wreck a Lexus to find out how tough it is but clearly, it is built as well as any car out there. Another reason I will purchase another. Maybe turbo this time

No Lexus car is perfect but clearly they are the industry standard for near perfection. Hell, that is one of their marketing ADVANTAGES. As HERITAGE is one of Benz's marketing ADVANTAGES. Lexus has no heritage.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:45 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

as most of you guys know i'm not a big fan of Club Lexus.com (the creeps banned me)or how Lexus Corp feels that it is the equal of MB and BMW(maybe someday...but not just yet). but... 1 sicklex is actually a pretty good moderator and an avid car enthusiast much like all of us at MBWorld. so go easy. keep in mind that his favorite car has been damaged (and fortunately nobody was hurt) and we all can identify on how much that would suck if it happened to one of us.
who knows....maybe we can convince him to buy German this time
Old 12-13-2003, 12:07 AM

1983 300SD Champagne/Palomino
1SickLex, Lexus, the standard of near perfection......LOL
Dream On!!!

Lexus needs to change their quote to "The passionate pursuit to copy the Germans!" Well, hell I guess it says that anyway with the one they have now.....
Old 12-13-2003, 01:09 AM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Copying MBs

[Lexus needs to change their quote to "The passionate pursuit to copy the Germans!" Well, hell I guess it says that anyway with the one they have now..... [/B][/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only a Bush Republican would try and deny that the Lexus LS430 is nothing more than a rip off copy of an older S-Class. That said they do build a well made car and, sadly, I have to agree there repair record leaves MB in the dust. No matter, I love my coupe and hey, the bagels and Starbucks are great at my dealer.

A week or so back I got onto the Club Lexus site to see what's going on. Without exception all they brag about if how reliable there car is. Don't read much about how much fun they are to drive, etc. One wrote back telling me that I don't know s..t about cars because Lexus has all these driving events, yada, yada, yada. I told him that just because you have an event does not mean you have a driver's car. Their moderators are a lot like there silly commercials. You know that phony voice and VERY, VERY proper. One guy told me I should stay off their site and spend more time playing with myself while watching a Paris Hilton video. I am not kidding here. I did not respond but the moderator had the b..s to tell me to be nice or they would ban me. One rule for them another for anyone else who disagrees with them. The whole bunch are in denial and are begging for the rest of the world to accept their cars as equals to the German brands.

You know what, my refrigerator is reliable but I don't want to drive it. For fun, check out the site.

For further proof of what I said about copying the Germans you only need to go the new issue of Automotive magazine. There is a short clip about some new Lexus and they comment on how the Japanese have NO confidence in their ability to design a car and, as such, made it a habit to copy other makes. They said this NOT ME.....

Check it out.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Response to this thread

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to comment on the response to this thread. I did not want to start a war of Lexus vs. MB or bash Lexus. Hey, I even admitted that I liked the LS430 facelift and would consider it if I were interested in cars of that size. I simply pointed out that every brand has lemons and, in this case, this Lexus is the exception to the rule of perfection. If there are few of these cases among Lexus owners, that's even better. I did not write this to distract myself from my own car's problems, not only because that would be senseless, but also because I have not really had any. If I did, I would much rather yell at the company who built it than at innocent owners of the competition. If there are Lexus owners who read this and responded because they had negative Benz experience and bought a Lexus as a result, I congratulate them. They have taken a step that shows a company that they did not meet that customer's expectations and need to improve. Anyways, I just wanted to clear this up. As 1sicklex said, they are just cars.

Have a good weekend.

Last edited by Frank Wiesmann; 12-13-2003 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:23 AM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Lexus babble......

Frank Wiesmann's remarks.................

Well said and I couldn't agree more......

Happy Holidays to all
Old 12-18-2003, 07:11 PM

Lexus GS 450h
Happy Holidays to all

Well we are fortunate enough to argue Lexus vs Benz.

Imagine the Kia vs Hyandai forums....
Old 12-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

That reminds me of something i read on ClubLexus

Hyundai Owner: Haha, your windsheild says Toyota *remarking to the Lexus*

Lexus Owner: Yours says Hyundai, you lose.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:11 PM
J P

M-B is falling behind Lexus badly in reliability. There is also nothing intrinsically special about the M-B driving experience. BMW yes, M-B no. Both M-B & Lexus generally cater to those seeking luxury, safety, quality interior materials, etc but not to true enthusiasts. AMG cars are excellent but are still compromising i.e. no manual, handling compared to M cars.

Heritage means little if the cars aren’t reliable. The hallmarks of M-B were luxury, safety, & quality (generally meaning reliability). Many no longer feel M-B stands for quality, there has just been too many reliability issues.

Originally posted by W210
Poor active and passive safety.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/W211_crashtest.html

It appears to me safety is taken extremely seriously in MB's corporate culture and heritage as they roll out year after year inventions attempting to make their cars a little safer, 4matic, ESP, curtain air bags, ABC, teleaid, pre-safe, SBC, active lights, etc.
This is misrepresentation. The new E-Class did so well that he wanted to compare it to 3 other "best picks". Yes, the new E-Class is excellent, but the LS is also a "best pick". I find it funny that you would suggest it has poor safety when it is a "best pick".

Further, each successive generation should do better. The new E did better than the old E. Similarly, that LS has been around forever, & a redesigned LS surely will do better & should continue to be a "best pick".
Old 12-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by J P
There is also nothing intrinsically special about the M-B driving experience. BMW yes, M-B no. Both M-B & Lexus generally cater to those seeking luxury, safety, quality interior materials, etc but not to true enthusiasts. AMG cars are excellent but are still compromising i.e. no manual, handling compared to M cars.
Wow Wow. This coming from an IS owner! I guess your car has enthusiast written ALL OVER it huh? Being that it suffers from the worst case Identity disorder.

I think I speak for the majority of this board when I say that most of us enjoy our MB experience, Thank you very much.

Your a FOOL if you say Mercedes-Benz is not for "True Enthusiasts"!

Last edited by Guest0001; 12-21-2003 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
JP

Originally posted by J P
M-B is falling behind Lexus badly in reliability. There is also nothing intrinsically special about the M-B driving experience. BMW yes, M-B no. Both M-B & Lexus generally cater to those seeking luxury, safety, quality interior materials, etc but not to true enthusiasts. AMG cars are excellent but are still compromising i.e. no manual, handling compared to M cars.

Heritage means little if the cars aren’t reliable. The hallmarks of M-B were luxury, safety, & quality (generally meaning reliability). Many no longer feel M-B stands for quality, there has just been too many reliability issues.

This is misrepresentation. The new E-Class did so well that he wanted to compare it to 3 other "best picks". Yes, the new E-Class is excellent, but the LS is also a "best pick". I find it funny that you would suggest it has poor safety when it is a "best pick".

Further, each successive generation should do better. The new E did better than the old E. Similarly, that LS has been around forever, & a redesigned LS surely will do better & should continue to be a "best pick".
It is not mispresentation as I was comparing a brand and not a specific car. I doubt anyone would seriously consider a Lexus car safer than a MB, regardless of the model.

The LS is a dated model and the picture from the crash test does not show very promising. The car was practically on its knees after the crash.

Simply put, MB takes safety very seriously, not Lexus. I would rather be in a C class or even a C coupe than a IS in any accident. My definition of quality includes how well a car holds up in an accident. So what if the leather aligns perfectly if it can't do a good job protecting the passengers.

Last edited by W210; 12-21-2003 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:53 AM
J P

Re: JP

Originally posted by W210
It is not mispresentation as I was comparing a brand and not a specific car. I doubt anyone would seriously consider a Lexus car safer than a MB, regardless of the model.

The LS is a dated model and the picture from the crash test does not show very promising. The car was practically on its knees after the crash.

Simply put, MB takes safety very seriously, not Lexus. I would rather be in a C class or even a C coupe than a IS in any accident. My definition of quality includes how well a car holds up in an accident. So what if the leather aligns perfectly if it can't do a good job protecting the passengers.
Actually, it is misleading as you were saying they're unsafe. How are they unsafe when they're also "best picks"? Using your logic, any car/brand that is not the absolute best in performane therefore has poor performance, instead of "very good but not the best". So if they're #2 or #3 out of about 20 different manufacturers that somehow qualifies them as "poor". As I pointed out, that new E-Class you cited did better than its predecessor. Similarly, the LS has been around for a long time & should also do better when redesigned. It is however, still a "best pick" & top-rated car in crash tests.

Did you know that the IS300 actually matched the C-Class sedan in all NHTSA crash tests except "rollover resistance"?: where it actually did better than the C-Class sedan (5 stars vs. 4 stars). The C coupe has not been tested but I assume it would not do better than the C-Class sedan.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:59 AM
J P

Originally posted by Noble C320
Wow Wow. This coming from an IS owner! I guess your car has enthusiast written ALL OVER it huh? Being that it suffers from the worst case Identity disorder.

I think I speak for the majority of this board when I say that most of us enjoy our MB experience, Thank you very much.

Your a FOOL if you say Mercedes-Benz is not for "True Enthusiasts"!
Actually, the IS300 is considered among the sportiest in the entry-level luxury segment. In luxury, it is clearly behind the C-Class for example, but handling & braking are top-notch on the IS300.

Lexus didn't decide to copy a bunch of ricers, in Japan, the IS equivalent was the first car in the world to have those altezza lights. It was considered unique until ricers in the US & Canada decided to copy them.

I'm sorry, though M-B is known for many great things, enthusiast driving is not one of though. As I stated, neither Lexus nor M-B are known for such but BMW is. This is reflected in literature from virtually every car publication. Even AMG, though exceedingly fast fail to handle as well as BMW's M cars or Audi's S vehicles.

I'm 100% sure that M-B owners enjoy their experience, but it's a different kind of "high" than what BMW owners enjoy for example.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
JP

Originally posted by J P
Actually, it is misleading as you were saying they're unsafe. How are they unsafe when they're also "best picks"? Using your logic, any car/brand that is not the absolute best in performane therefore has poor performance, instead of "very good but not the best". So if they're #2 or #3 out of about 20 different manufacturers that somehow qualifies them as "poor". As I pointed out, that new E-Class you cited did better than its predecessor. Similarly, the LS has been around for a long time & should also do better when redesigned. It is however, still a "best pick" & top-rated car in crash tests.

Did you know that the IS300 actually matched the C-Class sedan in all NHTSA crash tests except "rollover resistance"?: where it actually did better than the C-Class sedan (5 stars vs. 4 stars). The C coupe has not been tested but I assume it would not do better than the C-Class sedan.
Safety is a relative thing and Toyotas and Lexus are not as safe when compared to Mercedes, in my opinion.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont understand, are you Pro Lexus or Pro BMW or just ANTI MB?What does bmw sportiness have to do with the originality of lexus vehicles?

Originally posted by J P
Actually, the IS300 is considered among the sportiest in the entry-level luxury segment. In luxury, it is clearly behind the C-Class for example, but handling & braking are top-notch on the IS300.

Lexus didn't decide to copy a bunch of ricers, in Japan, the IS equivalent was the first car in the world to have those altezza lights. It was considered unique until ricers in the US & Canada decided to copy them.

I'm sorry, though M-B is known for many great things, enthusiast driving is not one of though. As I stated, neither Lexus nor M-B are known for such but BMW is. This is reflected in literature from virtually every car publication. Even AMG, though exceedingly fast fail to handle as well as BMW's M cars or Audi's S vehicles.

I'm 100% sure that M-B owners enjoy their experience, but it's a different kind of "high" than what BMW owners enjoy for example.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:34 AM
J P

Originally posted by J Lucas
I dont understand, are you Pro Lexus or Pro BMW or just ANTI MB?What does bmw sportiness have to do with the originality of lexus vehicles?
I am neither pro Lexus nor BMW, & I'm not anti M-B. Nowhere have I stated M-B sucks or is inferior. Similarly, nowhere have I stated Lexus nor BMW is the best or better. The reason why I brought up BMW is to illustrate that I have been a German car driver, so those who say Lexus owners don't know enough about cars to appreciate German engineering, etc are off-base. I would actually take a BMW over a Lexus (assuming similar segments ie 5-Series vs. GS), it's not about German vs. Japanese engineering, Porsche is quite distinct from M-B for example, & IMO, M-B has more in commone w/ Lexus than it does w/ Porsche (despite being from different countries).

The sportiness aspect was in response to member "MercManiac", on the 2nd page of this thread who talked about the intrinsic M-B qualities of driving. Essentially, M-B & Lexus are geared to luxury much more than sport (though there are exceptions in their respective lineups), while BMW is definitely more sporty than either of the 2 & therefore, IMO, wins in the intrinsic drving experience factor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Lexus problems