Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

HELP.. Smartkey Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C230 Sport
HELP.. Smartkey Issues

I was detailing my C230 over the weekend and accidentally washed my smartkey in my machine. I did not find out until it was in the dryer (not smart I know!!!) I only found out when the alarm went off (never heard it before). It will not do anything now other than when it goes into the ignition. I swapped out the batteries and I have seen the red light on the keyfob but nothing else. Any suggestions please.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
time to buy a new one.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 AM

05 C230 Sport
That sucks any good sources where I can get one without paying stupid prices???
Old 06-27-2014, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Sorry to hear that. Even if you were to find a replacement key anywhere else cheaper, I presume you will need your dealer to fully program the key for your car ( along with identity and owner verification ).
Old 06-28-2014, 11:44 AM

05 C230 Sport
Thanks for the help & advice. The alarm has sounded a few times. Yesterday it sounded so I unlocked it with the key and put the fob into the ignition to shut it off. Once I removed it the fob started to work as normal so I am gonna see how it goes. Thanks again
Old 06-28-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E55 AMG
Take the key apart and leave it to dry for a while. Water gets in all kinds of little spots. This is just an idea... but it may work? If you have any oil dry or cat litter around, put some in a bowl, take the key apart and cover it up with the oil dry or cat litter. Both are very absorbent.. when you believe it is dry just take it out and dust it off and see if it works....
Old 06-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 SL450 '09 CLK350, '09 GL550, '05 Lotus Elise
Take the battery out, pour 2 cups of uncooked white rice in a ziplock bag, toss in your key, seal the bag. Don't open the bag for 3-5 days. The rice will absorb all excess moisture. This works well with cell phones, might work with your key.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 AM

C220 AMG Line Premium Plus (W205)
I know it's a bit of an old thread now but just in case anyone else has this issue....

When electronics get water damage there's three types do damage:

1) damage from the liquid water itself. For example electrolytic capacitors have a spongy dialectic in them which can absorb the water and ruin the capacitor. Other paper or fragile components can get ruined. This is why the best advice is to dry it as best you can and then put it in a bag with rice, silica gel, or cat litter to absorb any last bit of moisture left.

2) short circuits. This happens with the liquid water itself so always remove the battery right away till dry, but also happens after the board is dry due to salt residue left on the board when the water dries. You should pick up a can of aerosol no clean flux cleaner and use that to clean the entire board. Technically you could submerge the board into it but because of 1) that's not a good idea. Spray and use the brush that comes with it to remove residue.

3) component displacement. When the water dries any salt residue crystallises. If this happens to be under a surface mount component it will lift the component up and rip it off the board breaking its connection. This is why it's always a good idea to dry the board as best you can, use flux cleaner on the surface mount components area at least then put it into a bag do dry.

I design electronics for a living, and I see all of this too often!!