Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Rain Sensor Wiper System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL-450
Rain Sensor Wiper System

I have a 2015 GL-350 Bluetec. I have nearly all the options you can get on the GL-350. Can anyone tell me their experience with the "Rain Sensor Wiper System". I am not sure mine is working right. I've noticed if I turn the wipers on the first click. The blades wipe once, then shut off for up to two mins. Then the wipers wipe again and continue to do so about every 15 seconds.

UPDATE: I contacted Tech Support and discussed the issue with a rep. We had a nice talk, I explained how I thought the system should work. The Tech said I was correct. I contacted the dealer, I ask if they would order another sensor, that way if there was something wrong with the sensor I would not have to make a second trip. I took my 2015 GL in, they checked and found the sensor was improperly installed, they reinstalled the sensor. The system works exactly the way is should. I've worked as an Electronics Engineer for 50 years, the Service Manager was open to my subjection. This is the first time they have run into this type of problem. It turned out to be a good learning experiment for all.

In the first position the rain sensing wipers should wipe once go to the rest position and remain there until rain falls on the windshield. The sensor sends out an IR signal, if it hits a rain drop the IR signal is reflected back into the receiver sensor. The wipers run. The second position on the wipers increases the sensitivity. If yours operates differently then there is a problem. Either a defective sensor or a miss aligned sensor.

Last edited by ac0nj; 02-02-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
the second click up will be more sensitive to rain on the windshield. you may like that setting better.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL-450
Rain Sensor Wiper System

Originally Posted by Rocman8
the second click up will be more sensitive to rain on the windshield. you may like that setting better.

HI, Thank you for the input. I just spent 10 mins talking with Tech Support at MB. I left a message on the MB Adviser site. The moderator had Tech Support call, we had a nice talk. They are going to look into the problem. He is beginning to think there may be a sensor issue.

I will give your suggestion a try. Thanks.