Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Couple questions about Starmarked Pre-Owned, warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2004 | 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
Couple questions about Starmarked Pre-Owned, warranty?

I bought a 2000 CL500 2 weeks ago from a non-Mercedes dealer. I did notice on the driver door jam, it has a Starmarked, certified pre-owned sticker.
My question is do all Starmarked pre-owned cars come with the extended warranty I assume? If so, how much longer is the warranty?
Also, if the buyer sells the car, does the Starmark Warranty automatically transfer? The car has 13k miles on it....but its build date was 10/99....so I assume the factory 4 yr/48 month warranty is expired? I dont know if they go by build dates or .....?
Basically, I am wondering if this car has an extended warranty that the dealer I bought it from is unaware of.....there are 2 service records that came with the car from 11/03 and 12/03, and they had alot of things that were covered under warranty according to the sheets.....but those 2 dates are also past the 4 year factory warranty, assuming it goes on build date.
Old 01-29-2004 | 08:56 AM

Black C 240
warranty becomes effective on sale date. Do a carfax report and it might tell you when it was first titled. Your warranty would run from the first title date until 4yrs/48,000 miles. My car has a build date of 7/02, but is an 03 model I purchased in 9/03. I get the full factory warranty from the purchase date, not build date. I do not know if the Starmark warranty transfers like a factory warranty.
Old 01-29-2004 | 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Hard to say. The Starmark IS transferrable. It usually adds an additional 1 year to the factory war. I guess the only way to find out if it is still in effect is to contact a dealer service dept.

But looking at the build date, one has to assume it is within that one year window, especially if you consider that the factory coverage starts at in-service date, not build date, so it must be later in any case.
Old 01-29-2004 | 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
OK, when you say put into service....if a dealer sells the car on say 1-2004, but the owner doesnt drive it and title it until 5-2004, does the warranty in service period start when the car is sold (1-2004), or when the car is titled (5-2004)?
Old 02-11-2004 | 06:58 PM

1999 CL500; 1992 500E:1991 560SEC
If the the original factory warranty is in effect you can purchase up to 4 yrs additional starmark warranty. If the factory warranty has expired you can purchase 3yrs max. This is all determined by the original in service start date(ie purchase/delivery date). I don't know if you can purchase additional starmark after you purchase the certified pre-owned car or what the cutoff is for that.....better ck with the dealer.

Purchasing from a non-MB dealer you get whatever the balance of the CPR warranty left.
Old 02-11-2004 | 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
If I were you I would check out and see if it still has Starmark Warranty left and then immediately extend it as far as you can. I know I've gotten my money's worth out of mine on my 9 year old c-class.
Old 02-26-2004 | 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
Figured I would tell everyone what I found out in case someone one day has same question and does a search.
If a car is starmarked and the owner sells it back to a Benz dealer, the dealer voids the warranty and writes up another for the car.
If it is starmarked and previous owner sells to a non-Benz dealer, the warranty is void totally. I think it is possible to track down the previous owner and get him to transfer the warranty to the new owner.