Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Is Infiniti's New Q50 S 400 Red Sport Better Than an AMG C43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:21 PM
MBW Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Infiniti's New Q50 S 400 Red Sport Better Than an AMG C43?

AMG may not be at the top of the pile for much longer if Infiniti has anything to say about it. Before you yell, just hear me out.

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage. >>
Old 04-04-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
The interior of the infiniti still doesn't do it for me. Coming from a G37xS coupe, the interior of my C450 is leaps and bounds ahead of what infiniti has to offer. As for the motor, its similar but the MB V6TT still has more torque and we can always give the engine a little boost with software upgrades
Old 04-04-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Yeah, well, if surpassing AMG's power output equals better..........while offering a crappy car in terms chassis, steering, and overall handling dynamics from last gen e-series' or the current ATS or Jag XE? Yes, it's indisputably better.

But anyone who has followed the Infiniti brand and/or owned & driven their cars since the original G35 came to our market in 2003? Not even close.

Those clowns @ Infiniti have clearly gone mainstream (read: less sporty/more luxurious for more sales), forgotten who they are, and have also added stupid DAS - Direct Active Steering..........all in the middle of AMG going for more handling dynamics. (No longer the straight-line only, overpowered brutes of old AMG lore.)

End result: That damn car can't even outhandle or outperform my 2006 refreshed G35. With its relatively measly 280 hp/270 lb. feet, no less.

Moe, on Planet Earth Infiniti is not progressing, they have been regressing. But wait. You work for them, don't you? Ah-hah!!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
such poor attempt to hide the paid advertisement.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
Funny how after leaving the above comment I drove a co-worker's fully loaded 2016 Q50 S and it's PURE sh*t.

The transmission is most likely the same as the one found in Nissan Minivan.

The OS in the car took a good 30 seconds to boot up after the car was on.

Steering is as engaging as my dog's bed when he humps it.

There is something wrong with the chassis, it just doesn't feel right.

MSRP $60K (F**K)...

The interior is a riot. Today was 85 in Irvine, CA and after sitting in the sun for couple hours the interior smelled like burnt plastic.

The paddles look hilarious, and pulling one is merely a suggestion to the car to change gear as it happens ages after you pull the paddle.

My suggestion to Infiniti as they may actually come and read this thread (They paid for it after all).

fuhgeddaboudit... Stop making cars.

Last edited by OC6.3AMG; 04-06-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,342 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Infiniti ... You get what you pay for

The g35 and g37 were special ... Not built solid like a Benz but reliable fun power and reasonable handling

The q50 is lost ... But with these turbos I'm sure tuners like Stillen will have fun coming up with another 40-60hp/tq.... Look at the monsters created by tunes on the gtr's....

Btw car and driver lamented at how crappy the 7 speed trans is in the q50
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by OC6.3AMG
such poor attempt to hide the paid advertisement.
BAM!

Originally Posted by OC6.3AMG
Funny how after leaving the above comment I drove a co-worker's fully loaded 2016 Q50 S and it's PURE sh*t.

The transmission is most likely the same as the one found in Nissan Minivan.

The OS in the car took a good 30 seconds to boot up after the car was on.

Steering is as engaging as my dog's bed when he humps it.

There is something wrong with the chassis, it just doesn't feel right.

MSRP $60K (F**K)...

The interior is a riot. Today was 85 in Irvine, CA and after sitting in the sun for couple hours the interior smelled like burnt plastic.

The paddles look hilarious, and pulling one is merely a suggestion to the car to change gear as it happens ages after you pull the paddle.

My suggestion to Infiniti as they may actually come and read this thread (They paid for it after all).

fuhgeddaboudit... Stop making cars.
Furthermore, BAM! BAM!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Infiniti ... You get what you pay for

The g35 and g37 were special ... Not built solid like a Benz but reliable fun power and reasonable handling

The q50 is lost ... But with these turbos I'm sure tuners like Stillen will have fun coming up with another 40-60hp/tq.... Look at the monsters created by tunes on the gtr's....

Btw car and driver lamented at how crappy the 7 speed trans is in the q50
BAM! BAM! BAM! And if I could add to this......the first time I test drove the C450 and ever since, it reminds me of a more Benz-like overall chassis (duh, right?) with a better-tuned suspension, and more rail-like track than the old G35/37. Especially the G37s that I loved getting as loaners to take out for hi-speed blasts and tests around the twisties. Same FM platform, though one could easily argue that the Q-cars are on the same platform that Infiniti has screwed up; I concede that.

But still, the 35 was so close to defeating the 3-series, as both it and the 37 are just dressed up 350/370Zs. No surprise there, except for the last point made..........we can't say that anymore.

They could've taken the crown from BMW with one more generation, maybe lightening up the Q50s a little and tweaking the suspension even more. But nooooooo. What do they do? The *&*^ it up royally.

Now their trying to BS us with 400hp, all while AMG is watching and - as with the RS3 outpowering the GLA/CLA 45 AMGs (for maybe a month) - can easily bump up the HP to, let' say, 405 or 410 or whatever. They've already done it twice from C400 to C450/43 to E43.

Tsk, tsk, Infiniti.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 E63s
Funniest thing on the forums beside that MBH thread.

This article is all over the place. Are you really comparing Infiniti's high end Q50 to the low end AMG C? Yes, Infiniti's new ttv6 has more power but that's about it. Lets go over the Q50s problems shall we? Poor transmission. Man that 7 speed sucks soooo bad. Delays in shifts so long it feels like the car goes in neutral before going to the next gear.
Terrible electronics. The list of problems with that dual screen setup is pretty long. Check the infiniti forums. Glad my M37 didn't have it. Crappy sound system. Bose car systems suck. Poor build quality in general. Brand new cars shouldn't rattle. They just shouldn't. And I shouldn't be able to peel the paint off with my fingernail.

I was a big Nissan fan. I wish they would bring a serious sports sedan to the party. The Red Sport is some kind of olive branch for not making the Eau Rouge. Them not making that car or something close is what pushed me away from the brand.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Test drove a 400S today. The comments above seem on point to me. Great torque, good body design, nice wheels, but poor interior. My wife previously owned an M37 and I was expecting something on that order from the Q50. Not to be.
The car I drove had direct adaptive steering and all option packages. The acceleration was impressive (perhaps better than the C450) but not much else was. The direct adaptive steering was OK but the car just didn't handle like I expected it to.
Dual screens not as bad as I expected, but someone at Infiniti needs to understand user interface design better. More buttons, knobs switches and touch points are not necessarily good (didn't count them but probably north of 20) and require a longer learning process. Didn't understand why there is no digital speedo.
The experience did not make me want to cancel my C43 sedan order.