Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What's wrong with this pricing picture ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML320
Some interesting posts here.

I do not consider myself wealthy at all, but do have a house and mulitple cars (Mostly Porsche's and a 03 ML320).

All the cars we own are paid off.

The Porsches are old and cheap. The ML320 is we just got used a few weeks ago. My fiancee (wedding date is 5/22/04) and I traded in one car each on the deal and threw in a little cash. It actually turned out be a good deal for us since we needed to downsize the number of cars we had anyway. Our plan is to keep it for many many years. It is really nice to have few cars with no debt.

I also race one of my Porsche's. Fun to do but does cost money. Right now I may have to reduce the number of races I do keep costs down, but I have no debt here so all I spend is decision I chose to make. Neither of us have credit card debit either so that helps. Even so we must be carefull with our money. There are alot of people who are not and **** it away in lot of small ways. Then they have nothing. My fiancee and I are both of the mindset that you save and save so that you can afford a few indulgences here and there. Just don't go into debt doing it.

BTW... I do not consider a newer C320 to be lowly... Espcially in College. Lowly is to be drving a $1500 beater.

There are really 3 type of folks with super expensive cars (my mind 60k plus, 30-60k are just expensive, 20-30k Average, 10-20k low cost, sub 10k cheap).
1) Those with more money than they know what to do with. These people make millions.
2) People stretched way beyond their means.
3) Wealthy folk that splurged for something really nice. These folks decided to stretch a little and willing to give up a couple nice vacations,etc to pay for it.

Back in 94 I was working as a lot attendant at a local MB dealership. One day I had to deliver a car to the owner's home after service. It was a nice new (1-2 year) SL500. Figure about 90-100k in those days. Well I drove it to their home in the very nicest most expensive part of town. Came to the front gate called in an was told to drive it around back. When I did I noticed their other car. A nice new (1-2 year old) S500 also about 90-100k. Then I saw that the couple that owned these cars were probably mid-late 20's. I had no clue how they could afford 200k in cars and probably 1M in home? (they were not celebrity type or sports figures). Well I never did find out, but figured it was either family money, some huge investment or good decision made early in life, or they were in debt beyond belief.

Debt happens to alot of people because they want to make it look like they have all the nice things. In then end it will catch up with you. Save and spent wisely and you will be able to do things and go places you would never have thought possible.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:23 PM

C32
In the SF Bay Area, where decent condo/townhome in a normal location begins at 550K+, you will need to stretch every dollar you earn. Making 122K/year and buying a 700K home here is very normal because of the high cost of living.

If you only pay 300K, get ready to live next to a local drug dealer or a state detention center.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How many homosexuals are really in San Francisco?Like is it just normal to see them just about every where u go?Just curious...
Old 04-07-2004, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Originally posted by ultraseven
In the SF Bay Area, where decent condo/townhome in a normal location begins at 550K+, you will need to stretch every dollar you earn. Making 122K/year and buying a 700K home here is very normal because of the high cost of living.

If you only pay 300K, get ready to live next to a local drug dealer or a state detention center.
At 122k a year after taxes if you don't own rental property, or your own business for deductions, is going to leave you with roughly $85K. Buying a $700K home, there's several choices but let's stick to a couple, an interest only loan for 90% of the value, with payments of around $2,800 on $630,000 with 10% down, just paying interest, still owes the whole $630,000. The other option a 30 year fixed loan @ 6% with a payment of $3,800 that's 55% of your monthly income, not a smart idea.
Anyway with that income your monthly payment including taxes and insurance, shouldn't be more than $1,960 per month, that should leave you enough to save/invest 10-15% of your income, plus for living expenses.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally posted by ultraseven

I know the feeling of high cost of living. I lived in Boston MA years ago. In Boston anything decent is at least $500K. This is why getting a S500 Mercedes Benz shouldn't even be in the picture at an annual income of $122k with a $700K house. A Camary is more likely. I used to make close to $200K/year in Boston and let me tell you, it didn't go too far.

John
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

200k a year doing what?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally posted by J Lucas
200k a year doing what?
I am a dentist.

John
Old 04-07-2004, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh a Dentist....

You could make that anywhere then, not just in San Francisco
Old 04-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by Noble C320
Rev, the threadstarter is a male.
Oops, sorry. :o I just assumed mbznchick was, well..... a chick.