Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes-Benz Says There Are No Plans to Axe Diesels in U.S.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 02:22 PM
IB Staff

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Mercedes-Benz Says There Are No Plans to Axe Diesels in U.S.

Reports that parent company Daimler will stop selling diesel-powered Mercedes-Benz vehicles in the U.S. are absolutely false.

Read the rest on the MB World homepage. >>
Old 12-07-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
The main issue with Diesel in the US is the current low price of fuel. Accounting for inflation it is historically a very low price, like the 25 cent a gallon price everyone talks about in the 1960's.

At today's ~$2.50 per gallon, the operating cost savings is not enough that people put a value on it. Plus, most Mercedes are expensive cars, and depreciation completely overshadows fuel costs. Lease options only underscores this cost/benefit deficit.

On the other hand, if fuel goes above $4 per gallon, then Diesel makes sense economically, and in Europe where fuel prices have been up to $9/gal and are at about $7/gal at the moment, one is talking thousands saved over the life of the car. Add to this a longer ownership period for many European cars and Diesel makes a very good economic case.

So the economic case is poor for most drivers. However, for the person (such as myself) who regularly drive 400-600 mile trips, sometimes in the remote parts of the west, Diesel makes perfect sense, just as having a car with a full size spare.

It would be to Mercedes credit if they did not succumb to this lowest common denominator marketing that has been forced upon us by the mega dealerships packaging and packing all new cars for lease deals. There is nothing like sitting at the table with the sales guy across from you talking monthly payments and equipment levels, while you are sitting there thinking, "I want these four options and you are saying I must pay an additional 4,000 or 5,000 dollars to get them." At the moment, Driver Assist Package is the big one, but backup cameras, heated seats and other worthwhile features are being held for ransom by the buddy-buddy big dealer and manufacture collusion in these predatory pricing schemes.

Frankly, I want Diesel and I want to choose my own options when I buy, not lease my next car.

Last edited by Mike__S; 12-09-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
My gut feel is anyone in the US wanting a Bluetec had better be prepared for a very, very long wait.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Mercedes, Audi and some domestic small diesel engines are not being approved by the EPA. They say they will be but they are looking much more closely at them before they approve them for sale.

The Dodge Ecodiesel has not yet been approved for 2017. If you order one now it could be a long wait.