Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Is Handsfree VCS Phone worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Handsfree VCS Phone worth it?

I have a friend who can get me a brand new Handsfree VCS & Motorola V60 phone for my 2004 SL500 for under $500. What do you guys think--is it worth it? Is it intuitive to use or will I get sick of it?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:18 AM

2000 E320 4Matic Obsidian Black/Ash
Wow thats some friend/price!

If it includes all the necessary hardware for the car (PSE, cradle, VR module, etc)... then I would go for it...

It's easy to use, just pop the handset into the cradle in the armrest when you get in the car. When there's an incoming call the radio mutes and displays the name of the caller on the radio and on the dashboard, no need to really take your eyes off the road. It gets all the names from your addressbook in the phone when you dock the phone.

If you want to make a call you just use the steering wheel buttons to scroll through the list of names that appear on the dash and press the phone key on the steering wheel.

As for the VR, you can just pull the lever on the steering column and say "Dial Name" or "Dial 555-5555" and it will do that...Or you can change radio functions with the VR

There really isn't anything fancy about it, its just nice safety feature to have and its convenient. Reception is also better when it's docked in the car versus using it alone.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:14 PM

Not a Benzer anymore
Remember: You Are Tied To that Phone

UGH. You are tied to that phone... CURRENTLY: Only an MB Phone works in an MB car.

UGH
Old 04-20-2004, 03:12 AM
Almost a Member!

good price for me
Old 04-20-2004, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Re: Remember: You Are Tied To that Phone

Originally posted by EddieGTP
UGH. You are tied to that phone... CURRENTLY: Only an MB Phone works in an MB car.

UGH
I Have The NOKIA 6310I Phone In My W210 with the W211 Pop Up cradle..it was plug and call..With VA. its all OE MB Parts
Got the Kit from Steve....
Old 04-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Yep! Got my 6310i integration from Steve as well. Works fantastic! It is very intuitive, and is NOT something you will get tired of using after a couple weeks.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I have it & it is not the newest phone design on the block, but it is very much more than just adequate. I'm sure the guys who think it is an old style phone are considering things like downloadable ringtones, games, color screen, colorfull covers, blinking lights, etc. none of which are available for this phone. It is a Rock-Solid phone with good reception, and easy to USE. I leave mine in the car all the time & since I have Verizon service, I have the family share contract which allows me to use my pocket phone's plan's minutes on either phone, without regard to which phone uses the minutes for only $ 20. more a month to my regular plan. That way, you can carry ANY phone you want in your pocket, and still have a fully integrated factory designed phone set up in the car. Change the one you carry on your hip as often as you are bored, what difference does it make what's under the armrest?

Even if the phone MB supplies were the newest most feature laden color screen phone, I would still do it the same way, since you wouldn't want to lose or damage the dedicated phone. Motorola will service them for years, there are so many of them out there... and how long are you going to keep this car anyway...4 - 5 years? At the back end, the phone will not be so important anyway.

You MUST specify who your service provider is to the person who will sell you the phone. The phones are designed to work with 1 specific provider only, like all cell phones.

After all this...the price is NICE!
Old 05-07-2004, 05:02 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Have the VR phone in one of my cars. It's convenient and fun to use for the first few months but the novelty wears off after that. Didn't order it in my 03E500.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Ate you allowed to dial & talk on a cell phone whithout parking where you live? Its a $100.00 ticket here in NY.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:49 PM

Not a Benzer anymore
Voice Command - In General... (IMO)

The voice command system (for radio/tape/CD control) is somewhat of a novelty. I used it for the 1st week and its easier to change the radio stations by the steering wheel controls or the radio itself.

-------------------------------
That being said - you have the VCS which includes the hands free operation with the telephone...

This is worth it, but probably not so much if you plan to keep your Benz longer than 4 years. Nor if you currently have a hands free car kit that you are happy with.

Good things:
True Hands free phone operation;l
integrated with the stereo;
integrated with the steering wheel controls;
Pretty useful command;

Bad things:
You are tied to a 600.00 proprietary phone ;
(even if you do the Steve thing; your choices are limited);
Sometimes, the gal just doesn't listen well and its easier to just type in the phone number or go there by hand;

Its a tough choice, but there are options out there if you want to use a hands free, non MB phone... I haven't thought of the resale value increase or decrease of the car in 4 years (if I sell my car in 2 years): would anyone care that there is a 4+ year old phone in the car? Some companies (Verizon) require new model phones...

Thats it
Old 05-11-2004, 11:01 AM

Not a Benzer anymore
One Other VAC good thing...

One Thing I did Leave Out

The VAC is good is when you want to go to a particular track somewhat quickly...

You can pull the lever back and say "Track 2" without going up or down 16 other songs...
Old 05-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

c230 sport sedan
Can your friend get that setup for anybody else?

thanks,
Mike
Old 05-26-2004, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thumbs up I like the MB phone option

I like the option very much. I find bluetooth draining the phone battery too quickly and the MB solution is nice allowing me to quickly dial numbers using the keypad on the dash.

The fact that incoming calls will mute the stereo and show caller ID is a bonus.

Also, my CDMA provider works well with the MB V60 allowing me to read Text messages on the COMAND screen.

The voice comand is useful to a lesser extend. It allows you do call certain preprogrammed numbers regardless whether you're on the Nav, Radio or Map screen.

I also use it to switch between CD and CD changer, saving me from having to go to the Audio page first.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:08 PM

2001 SL500, designo blue and 2004 C320S
Interesting mix of thoughts. My wife's in real estate and often on the road. Out here in Nevada there's been a pile of press about people distracted by cell phones and plowing in to people. Results in serious jail time. However, the legislature declined to pass a specific cell phone law last year because the AG showed all that the current laws on inattentive driving gave police all the teeth they needed.

So out here, you probably won't get pulled over for talking on a cell phone but as soon as you start weaving, or slowing down, or turning strange -- look out because the fines start at $100 and the sky's the limit.