Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Uber in your Benz?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes C300 4matic
Uber in your Benz?

Just curious if anyone out there on the inter web has done any driving for Uber or Lyft? I've heard you can make a lot more money per fare if you have a luxury car.

Bueller? Bueller??
Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
I'd imagine the hassle is not worth it and luxury cars need luxury priced maintenance. There is no way the money you make will surpass the taxes, fees, maintenance, time spent, fuel costs, and insurance in the long run. And imagine the risk of someone damaging your interior, paint, or the long list of why driving for these ride share apps sucks.
The following users liked this post:
jtjbt20x (09-21-2023)
Old 07-10-2017, 03:22 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffabetes
Just curious if anyone out there on the inter web has done any driving for Uber or Lyft? I've heard you can make a lot more money per fare if you have a luxury car.

Bueller? Bueller??
I've gotten in to Mercedes Ubers twice in the SF Bay Area in the last 10 months. One was a absolutely brand-new W213 E-Class, and the other was a GL class that was maybe 3 years old. Both were in great shape inside, and both drivers said they just drove enough to come up with a certain percentage of their monthly payment and that was it. Both had their Uber app set to accept regular Uber/Lyft rides and not the Uber Black or Lyft Premium- because they said it's much easier to make money as there is more demand for regular uber and they enjoyed delighting their customers more than setting expectations too high. Both drivers said they do not drive past 8pm at night in their MBs.

It's also important to remember that in large parts of Western Europe - E-Class, C-Class, Vito vans, etc. make up 90%+ of the taxi fleet. And based on my last trip to Berlin, those cars are driven literally in to the ground, but they keep buying them both second hand and brand new. Hell I even saw CDI W220s and W221s (short wheel base though) being used as Taxis in Munich and Stuttgart. It's just not a big deal there like it is here, where we've maybe consumed a bit too much of the MB marketing kool aid.

Have u seen how the Dutch treat their E-class ambulances?