Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

SLK 55, Need Help Guys! OR Girls! OR...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
SLK 55, Need Help Guys! OR Girls! OR...

I am first on the list for a SLK 55 in Vancouver, Canada. I am not sure if that is a good thing though! When I bought my C36 late 1996, I was told by the sales manager (also a close family friend) that MB would not put a V-8 or a 5 speed automatic in the C class. In fact he laughed at my question! Sure enough six month later MB comes out with the C 43 with the 5 speed automatic; it made me go bananas!

Do you know anything about the possibility that MB might put their supercharged 5.5 - litre OR their upcoming naturally aspirated 410 bhp 5.5 - litre V8 OR their 500 bhp 6.3 - litre V8 OR ... in the new SLK?

Do you also know anything about the possibility that MB might offer the ceramic brakes (SLR type) in the new SLK?

Also, any ideas about how to add some bass to the sound system without giving up a lot of space? I was thinking to put a custom made sub encloser behind the passenger side seat; resting vertically on the floor. Any idea, how much room there's between the back of the passenger seat and the rear side (on the floor)? In centimeters or inches. Any idea, how the spare tire comportment looks like, if any?

What the hell is that antenna in the new SLK? Please tell me it ain't so! I lived in Germany for five years and I remember that usually the antenna(s) were in the windshield(s) between the glass. Why can they not do the same here in North America?

BIS SPAETER!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 PM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
As for the supercharger, this is very unlikely. The car is a beast just being n/a..it's too light for a S/C (I know Carlsson doesn't think so hehe) There's been the same issue with the CLK55. But Mercedes is keeping the V8 Kompressor for the upper class models. Besides, the 5.5 V8 SC will be replaced from time to time (starting mid/end 2005) by a 6.3 V8..

The problem with the creamic brakes is, that it's tough to softly use the brakes, cuz it'll grip like mad when pushing the pedal, making it hard to use on a daily basis. But I've been hearing for a long time that MB is teaming up with Brembo to develop creamic brakes for all models, so I can't really tell if it aint gonna be like that.

As for the sound system: Since Mercedes finally got rid of that crappy so called BOSE sound system you should be happy with the harmann kardon. It's sound is fantastic.

The antenna! That's I question I heard a lot at the R171 presentation in Stuttgart. It simply wasn't possible to put it elsewhere.. that's at least what I heard.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:17 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
Originally posted by MadC32
As for the supercharger, this is very unlikely. The car is a beast just being n/a..it's too light for a S/C (I know Carlsson doesn't think so hehe) There's been the same issue with the CLK55. But Mercedes is keeping the V8 Kompressor for the upper class models. Besides, the 5.5 V8 SC will be replaced from time to time (starting mid/end 2005) by a 6.3 V8..

The problem with the creamic brakes is, that it's tough to softly use the brakes, cuz it'll grip like mad when pushing the pedal, making it hard to use on a daily basis. But I've been hearing for a long time that MB is teaming up with Brembo to develop creamic brakes for all models, so I can't really tell if it aint gonna be like that.

As for the sound system: Since Mercedes finally got rid of that crappy so called BOSE sound system you should be happy with the harmann kardon. It's sound is fantastic.

The antenna! That's I question I heard a lot at the R171 presentation in Stuttgart. It simply wasn't possible to put it elsewhere.. that's at least what I heard.
I agree with you regarding the 5.5 SC V8 or 6.3 V8 or even the V12's. They have too much power and are for the upper class. But how about the upcoming 410 bhp 5.5 V8? It doesn't make sense for MB to have two 5.5 V8's! Have you heard anything about when this new engine will come out?

Ceramic brakes are availabe on some cars and their test results are amazing! The question is agin when MB will put them in the SLK?

I have a C36 with BOSE and a 12" custom made sub encloser in the spare tire compartment. The Bose sounds just fine to me. But if you say the BOSE is crappy compared to the HK, then I guess I am going to be very happy with the HK!

The antenna! Why could they not make it a retractable one! Even better yet, The antenna should show its ugly face when ONLY the radio is on; like my old Lexus SC 400! But it is not a big deal. Besides I was told I could order the smaller SL antenna anyway.