Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What happened to alarm chirp sound when locking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon
What happened to alarm chirp sound when locking?

Why do more and more models simply use the horn when locking the car? Is the unit that produces the "chirp" sound SO expensive that they nixed it? Does anyone know which current models still feature the "chirp" sound upon locking?
This may seem like an unnecessary concern, but I feel like locking an E wagon shouldn't sound the same as a truck. Especially considering all BMW/Audi models (from A3 to A8 and 2 series to 7 series) have the same locking/unlocking tones that aren't the horn...
Old 10-25-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE350 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
I guess its something they wanted to use rather, i mean i had a E350 and not that i minded that it didnt make any noise when i locked/unlocked the only issue was the times i had to look for where the car was. Two occasions i had to use the alarm to locate the car, especially when i wanted to unlock. The ML350 has the horn, i like it when it locks, but when you wanna find it when you unlock is still an issue. One thing that i like is that on the iphone it tells you where your "parked car" is, Google has that feature but it registers one location every few hours.

I think maybe the best option for MBUSA was to use a part that would reduce overhead for them, thus the horn being a better option than the beeps. I guess its particular to each person