Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

W124 Coupe vs C205

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
W124 Coupe vs C205

Hello everybody, it's my first post here, and I'm glad to be around of such a strong community of car enthusiasts.
Considering to buy my first car, so need some wise advice from experienced members. Please, take a minute to share your opinion, I'd highly appreciate it.
Given: Need a reliable daily driver, mostly highway miles - home-work-home situation, NYC. Have been driving lots of company cars for a few years now, so have some driving experience, time to get my own one.

W124 Coupe
I've been a serious supporter of good old classics W124 coupe, 1992-1995, 3.2 I6, AT. But then, get realized more and more that time passed, and despite the fact it's a legendary vehicle, maybe it's not the best bet in 2018 (apart from the fact that it might and most likely going to need some special attention which I won't always be able to pay. Figuratively and literally.)

C205
On the other hand, we have a brand-spanking new W205 coupe (would consider 2017, actually, which will turn 2y.o by the end of the year, when I plan to purchase a car), with the 2,0L turbo engine, way more electronically complex car, but way more modern too. And that complexity drives me off, especially after I read all those stories about how disposable and unreliable modern Mercedes are. And reliability is a key point for me, apart from the look and overall comfort. Almost 30 years are making these two cars apart.

What would you recommend to a 30+ y.o guy with the stable income who needs a reliable daily driver? I always loved Mercedes (my dad used to drive one and it was W124 btw, and I loved it), and wouldn't want to go any other brand. But that perception of the poor reliability of W205 makes me quite concerned. Please, any opinion is appreciated.

And then, also, a new A-Class is coming to the USA soon, I even heard rumors there might be a coupe version available in the close future.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by 7nights; 07-10-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-11-2018, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I had a w124 v8 and decided to go with a w204 v8.
The w124 3 years ago, I timed it at 0-60 in 6.8 seconds, at 140k miles. Basically the same time it was pulling in magazine tests back in 1994.
Awesome build quality, except for the bio degradable engine wiring harness.

I drove the w205 sedan with the 2.0 for a day.
I thought that the biggest change is the transmission. It's so well sorted out and it keeps the engine in the high torque rpm, basically makes it seem more torquey than it is.
Also the interior is very nice and keeps you comfortable.

If I was to compare them, the 124 is solid, but the 205 will be faster with somewhat better handling and nicer more comfortable interior.
I didn't care for the sound of the 4 cylinder.

But you already have both and want to know which is more reliable ?
The w124 will have some problems in time.
Even after I did all the maintenance and replaced the transmission oil and converted it to koni yellow, updated to an iPhone compatible head unit, there was the occasional limp mode due to the wiring harness. Now there was a possibility I may need a throttle body.
The people that were enthusiasts are now off the radar and the parts are starting to be less offered rebuilt.
So $800 for harness and then maybe $1400 for a new from the dealer throttle body ......
On the other hand the 205 will have a warranty and extended too if you need it.
And anything an be worked on. The knowledge gradually becomes available ....

Last edited by Vladds; 07-11-2018 at 09:47 PM.