Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

E class leather upholstery

Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E class

Hello all. I am new to the fold and looking to buy my first Mercedes Benz motor car. I am keen to buy a nice condition post 2006 Facelift 3 litre E class.

I have travelled in and viewed E class and have a question about models with leather upholstery. Does anyone know if this is real hide or if it is actually faux leather? I ask because to date I have never been greeted with that wonderful leather smell you get in a car with real leather upholstery.

Thank you in advance. Any tips you can offer when purchasing an older E class would also be welcome.

Regards,
Michael
Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Mercedes-Benz offers seats in both real leather and their own faux leather, which they call MB-Tex. I believe some models feature one or the other as standard equipment, but I don't know the specifics. A VIN decode for any particular car will tell you what the seats are covered in.

If you're looking at cars that are 10 or more years old, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't smell "new car" leather when you get in them. My car is just a couple of years old and has genuine leather seats, but there really is no leather smell anymore. It fades over time.