Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Out with the steering wheel on S Classes... Steer by wire coming...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Out with the steering wheel on S Classes... Steer by wire coming...

(Courtesy of auto spies reports )

The next-generation S-Class Mercedes is scheduled for our shores in late 2005 as a 2006 model. Our spies caught a body-in-white being piloted around sans doors and hood, looking a little odd. The S-Class they saw was the testbed for a steer-by-wire system controlled by a joystick mounted to the transmission tunnel. Advantages are the lack of a steering shaft for better driver safety, the ability to steer the vehicle from either side of the car, and better integration of electronic stability augmentation systems. The Autodrive system, as it's currently referred to at M-B, is slated to be introduced on the 2008 models. Other features on the 2006 models include turbocharging and a 7-speed automatic transmission.

Any thoguhts???

Wiedermann
Old 06-09-2004, 07:39 PM

2002 C230K
if i wanted to drive a car with a joystick, i'd just use my ps2. hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Interesting....

I like the concept. It would definitely be more relaxing to drive. I don't see why it wouldn't be superior to a steering wheel. Would the horn button be on top of the stick?
Old 06-10-2004, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Steer by wire coming...

Mr dswildfire:
Originally posted by dswildfire
if i wanted to drive a car with a joystick, i'd just use my ps2. hell of a lot cheaper.
I have to agree with you!!!...

Some other upgrades have been recently been seen like Sensotronic breaking... now its deployed!... some problems.. but out there

Planes have had the same systems since mass production of large scale planes have been around... thing is... like you said... and many people also indicate... for some reason, people are more comfortable with the normal steering wheel, but don't care that a jet uses steer by wire (maybe cause they can't see the steering system??? ).
What I had heard was the system will be (obviuslly) a luxury "optional" equipment

Mr mleskovar:
Originally posted by mleskovar
I like the concept. It would definitely be more relaxing to drive. I don't see why it wouldn't be superior to a steering wheel. Would the horn button be on top of the stick?
I have seen the test model car myself, and now that I have seen the reports posted on the web, I feel more relax to comment ... I have seen the car, I have been inside of one of the test cars, however I have not driven it... (I don't like "testing" that much... I was in the rear seat and watched as someone else drove it ). Very much like in PS2 joysticks, there are a set of buttons for the horn, and other applications, turn signals, etc etc... I can say that when you are driving you "feel" you are in a fire plane ready to shoot someone down!!!.. super high tech... like in airplanes, there are sensors that --like on the airplanes, there are sensors that will replicate the "shaking" on the joystick if there is turbulance, or if you are loosing power, or about to stall the jet engine.. otherwise, you would not feel anything and your place could crash...-- replicate the sensations like vibrations, lateral push when cornering --that is something that for example you won't get on your normal PS2 games... lol.. you turn and see your car on the video game going out of control; however you still don't eperience the feedback on the stick... I have to say that video games are more and more introducing the feedback sensation, but you have to get a whole new set up of "hardware" like new josticks with hydrolics, etc to get the feeling...-- etc so that you have a "realistic" feeling and feedback of what is going on .. very impressive indeed.

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 06-10-2004, 09:22 AM

Not a Benzer anymore
Thats Great - What will they think of next...

Who knows a better way to practice a new method of steering then in a 80G+ new car?

OR...

Since MB's brake-by-wire has been faultless, steering-by-wire should be cool until the recall notice...

OR...

They can do that, but not yet provide an inexpensive means to upgrade your MB cellphone...

OR...

Will this be an option on the flagship Maybach...
Old 06-10-2004, 11:27 AM

2002 C230K
Re: Steer by wire coming...

Originally posted by Wiedermann
Mr dswildfire:

Planes have had the same systems since mass production of large scale planes have been around... thing is... like you said... and many people also indicate... for some reason, people are more comfortable with the normal steering wheel, but don't care that a jet uses steer by wire (maybe cause they can't see the steering system??? ).
well, i can understand a steer by wire system, dont get me wrong, just not one with a different control mechanism. a steering wheel with no direct connection would be preferable. for one, the greater range of movement allows for more precise control and a greater margin of error. while jets with joysticks may be fine and dandy, the pilots that use them go through lots of training in order to do so, something that doesn't happen with licensing a person to drive a car. and a joystick in a car, that should only move left and right for steering, unless it's replacing the gas pedal, and reverse selection on the transmission, if placed anywhere but on the dash or center console, can easily get jammed by a purse falling on to it, or a child yanking at it. and if placed on the dash, and it is just a joystick, drivers will tire out on longer drives far sooner because of no place to rest hands, as opposed to a steering wheel where you are constantly resting your thumbs on it.

believe me, i dont mind these electronic methods of steering and control, i just dont think a joystick is the best way to implement it.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no thanks, i like my steering wheel. IF i get TOO comfortable, i'll just might fall asleep then.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Steer by wire thoughts...

Mr dswildfire, Mr EddieGTP:
Originally posted by dswildfire
well, i can understand a steer by wire system, dont get me wrong, just not one with a different control mechanism. a steering wheel with no direct connection would be preferable. for one, the greater range of movement allows for more precise control and a greater margin of error. while jets with joysticks may be fine and dandy, the pilots that use them go through lots of training in order to do so, something that doesn't happen with licensing a person to drive a car. and a joystick in a car, that should only move left and right for steering, unless it's replacing the gas pedal, and reverse selection on the transmission, if placed anywhere but on the dash or center console, can easily get jammed by a purse falling on to it, or a child yanking at it. and if placed on the dash, and it is just a joystick, drivers will tire out on longer drives far sooner because of no place to rest hands, as opposed to a steering wheel where you are constantly resting your thumbs on it.

believe me, i dont mind these electronic methods of steering and control, i just dont think a joystick is the best way to implement it.
I have, and still do have mostly the same thoughts you do and as Mr EddieGTP, with the sensotronic breaks, there are some problems, however, to plan to roll a vehicle with a new system is quite a leap as the new breaking system is itself.. there was once a time when the "keyless" key was considered to be "out" of the picture... of the infrared keys that all the new cars have... I have the same thought about of what you said... having been in one of those cars.. and just the "test" pilot who was a member of my family just the "drive" wasn't precisely enjoyed (it was more like demolition derby drive as my sister does NOT drive and she was the one "behind" the joystick that day)...

We will see what happens when those systems are truly out in production!

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 06-12-2004, 12:34 AM

Wouldn't steer-by-wire completely alienate you from the road? Some road feedback is important. When I'm driving into the automatic car wash, I can feel it on the wheel when my tires slip into the tracks. With steer-by-wire I could be driving up over the tracks and scraping the underbody without even noticing until it's too late.

Last edited by nevetsm; 06-12-2004 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Steer by wire opposition!, lol

Mr. nevetsm:
Originally posted by nevetsm
Wouldn't steer-by-wire completely alienate you from the road? Some road feedback is important. When I'm driving into the automatic car wash, I can feel it on the wheel when my tires slip into the tracks. With steer-by-wire I could be driving up over the tracks and scraping the underbody without even noticing until it's too late.
You have you try the steer by wire system, then you will be able to tell how it feels .

Cheers!!!

Wiedermann