Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

LOOKING FOR A GREAT TOOL SET

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 Honda Accord
LOOKING FOR A GREAT TOOL SET

Hey all!

New member here. Just picked up an '06 E55 AMG. I'm really looking forward to digging into some maintenance, lots of mods, and fun.

Any suggestions on a great mechanic type tool set? Budget about $500. I would consider a larger budget but I also plan to buy some pneumatic stuff and cabinets. Plus there's always gonna be those tools you need to buy one at a time.

Any brands or things to avoid? Seems like some of the larger quantity sets have a lot of filler stuff in them.

On a related note, I'm planning to build a 24x36 garage with lift......so whatever tools I buy will hopefully get some great use by me and my two sons. Can't wait!!

TIA
Old 02-21-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W164
Just buy a decent socket set that has 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. Some basic wrenches too, and then you'll need some torx and other stuff. Kobalt is pretty much discontinued, so you are really left with Craftsman and Husky at the "consumer" level. I'd also do some research on air vs battery powered tools, air is on its way out. Garagejournal.com is an awesome resource for too recommendations and links to deals, but watch out for tool snobs that think you can't fix a car without Snap-on or SK. Also don't forget your diagnostics computer in your budget, can't go too far on a modern benz without one.