Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

2014 GL 450 4 sets of tires in 2 years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
2014 GL 450 4 sets of tires in 2 years

Hi there, hoping to find some answers for this problem. I purchased my GL450 in 2016. Supposedly it had new tires on it, however the first time I took it to get serviced they told me the tires were end of life, but only the back tires. The dealship replaced them, but within a year we had to replace them again for the same issue, back tires were end of life. We went to Costco and had Michelin tires put on. Costco told me to get the car aligned, which I did, and subsequently followed the manufacture rotation schedule to a T, as to take advantage of warranties if necessary. The third time I took the car in to be serviced and have the tires rotated, they refused because the back tires were again end of life. At this point the tires had less than 18k miles on them. The front tires still have 60% life. Costco is refunding our money, however I’d like to get the bottom of why my tires keep only getting a third of expected mileage life.

I am not not sure if this is related at all, but we found out that the car had a minor front end accident with the first owner. We knew this because a light had to be replaced and there was evidence of repairs to the paint surrounding the light. (Full disclosure, I am just a mom trying to get to work and take my kids where they need to go, I know nothing about cars).

My plan is to take it it in to Mercedes and have them try to figure it out, but was hoping for some ideas before I go fork over money.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Not sure if you have search this site for this issue. There are numerous post about the issues of GL and tire mileage. I don't own one but have seen many post complaining about this issue. You are not alone.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Further insight into tire issues with the GL. Do point out that there is only Toe (directional) adjustment on the front OEM

Rear there is also Toe with Camber adjustment as well allowing to change tire contact angles.

Essential for other than showroom height conditions - day to day commuting encountering high cambered roads, altered height through load carrying or lowering, fitting wide profile tires. Or simply ongoing adjustment to cater for curb knock damage.

We saw the need to manufacture therefore a front kit providing Camber and also Caster. Kit replaces the 4 front highest wearing bushings at the same time (the 2 rear are subject to premature wear and OEM are expensive to replace).

Have many inquiries re "additional" adjustment for the rear. So we produce a rear Camber and Toe kit also. It replaces the 4 lower arm (highest wearing) bushes.

Both front and rear kits can be fitted without arm removal and are precise single wrench adjustable. Accurately - under load, direct on alignment rack.

W166, X166, W251, C292

Front Camber & Caster kit #504016M $595

Rear Camber & Toe kit #504026K $480

Delivery $30 (F/R $50)

PayPal, Visa or M/Card

Old 04-14-2019, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Have to see the alignment sheets to know if it's an alignment issue, from my time at Benz i never noticed any unusual tire wear issues on the GL. Are they wearing evenly but just at a low mileage? Or is there an uneven wear patter on the tires?