Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Tips for maximizing resale value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 Coupe 4matic
Tips for maximizing resale value

Hi folks, recently joined the M-B with a 2019 GLC 300 Coupe that I picked up used with 15k miles and I am loving this thing. This is also my first "nice" car, so I am also new to the concept of taking good care of a vehicle. However, I am not planning on keeping it forever. Knowing myself, I will want to move on to bigger and better things in a couple years' time. For that reason, I'd like to preserve as much of its value as possible.

That said, there is absolutely no way I am going to live with this car and not upgrade it! That is obviously going to put me in the danger zone for resale value. The car came pretty nicely optioned, but not quite exactly how I would've optioned it myself. Some of the main upgrades I am considering now are the following:

Cosmetic:
  • Retrofit GLC 63 front bumper
  • Replace stock Diamond grille with AMG Panamerica grille (already done, keeping original grille in storage)
  • Retrofit interior ambient lighting around cabin
  • Install aluminum running boards (already done, keeping original skirts in storage)
  • Replace multimedia display with larger touchscreen
Performance:
  • Resonator delete (not really performance, but more than cosmetic and not easily reversed)
  • Performance ECU chip (may go with tuning options from M-B dealership)
Other than keeping up with regular detailing and maintenance schedules, what are the key things I should know before performing any upgrades if I want to preserve as much value in the vehicle as possible to sell it a couple years from now? Are there any upgrades that will actually increase the value, or is pretty much anything that isn't spec going to drive it down?

Edit:

I understand my car is going to be worth a lot less when I sell it, even if I do nothing to it. I'm not trying to change that. I'm just trying to avoid accelerating the depreciation more than I have to when upgrading it. I will gladly avoid certain upgrades if they are going to take a huge chunk out if the value, and favor the ones that make little-to-no impact. I will also favor upgrades performed by the M-B dealership if that makes a difference, or go third-party if it doesn't. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for help with.

Last edited by Kronodeus; 12-24-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:38 AM

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Speaking purely for myself, I wouldn't purchase a used vehicle to which the seller had performed any of those modifications, with the exception of the grille swap, which is easily reversible. If I get the feeling that a prospective purchase has been "tampered with" by the owner in their garage, I'm out. YMMV.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Kronodeus,
You've heard the comments, "You lose an easy 10+ percent when you drive a car off the lot" ?
With everything you plan, you'll never get the $$$ you put into it, back. Buying a car is not an investment, it's a money pit for the majority.
Unless you have deep pockets and money is no object, I'd say go for it ,and post what $$ you put into it.
When you sell, pleas do tell us your ROI.
Just like Mr. Toad, I wouldn't touch it.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 Coupe 4matic
Originally Posted by khomer2
Kronodeus,
You've heard the comments, "You lose an easy 10+ percent when you drive a car off the lot" ?
With everything you plan, you'll never get the $$$ you put into it, back. Buying a car is not an investment, it's a money pit for the majority.
Unless you have deep pockets and money is no object, I'd say go for it ,and post what $$ you put into it.
When you sell, pleas do tell us your ROI.
Just like Mr. Toad, I wouldn't touch it.
Who said anything about ROI? I didn't purchase the car as an investment, and I understand I will lose money when I sell it. I'm just try to lose as little as possible, while still being able to enjoy owning it. I'm sure certain types of upgrades drive the value down more than others, and that's the kind of information I was looking for.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,970 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Modifications are not good for resale value.

Low mileage and spotlessly clean are good for resale value. And factory option content.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 02:50 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Reverting to stock would be the best way to sell it