Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

GLB AMG 35 vs Tesla Model Y vs BMW X3 M40i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crosstrek
GLB AMG 35 vs Tesla Model Y vs BMW X3 M40i

Cross-shopping these 3 vehicles. All within 55-60k price range. Would appreciate any feedback, tell me if there are any pros/cons I’m over/underrating, anything else I should be considering, anything I’m completely wrong about. Would be for a family with toddler and two dogs, with in-laws visiting probably once every 3 months. We have a small garage and vehicle length should be less than 190 inches. I’ve test driven the AMG and Model Y so far.

1) Mercedes GLB AMG 35 (lease)
Pros: optional third row, ample cargo capacity for its size, exterior and the wheel options (best looking IMO), AMG engine, fit and finish, 2nd row slides fore and aft, engine sound.
Cons: relatively small fuel tank, not as fuel efficient, no rear occupant alert system.

2) Tesla Model Y (finance)
Pros: instant torque, safety features, dog mode, climate control, higher resell value, lowest long term maintenance costs
Cons: lack of rear cross traffic alert, fit and finish issues, range anxiety, too many controls embedded in touch screen?, 3rd row not as practical or roomy as the GLB (head can touch the curved rear windshield), more expensive to insure.

3) BMW X3 M40i (lease)
Pros: based on YouTube videos smoother acceleration than the GLB, relatively larger cargo space with 2nd row up, iDrive, quieter cabin, complimentary maintenance for 3 years/36k, engine sound.
Cons: no third row, most expensive to insure among these 3, no rear occupant alert.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,922 Likes on 3,088 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I'm an ICE person so I give no attention to EVs.

The GLB is new and unproven, and has an east-west 4 cylinder powertrain and poorer NVH and handling. All negatives in my view.

The M40i is a north-south inline 6 cylinder on a proven X3 platform. The BMW is outstanding. I have driven an M40i and it's great. My wife has the base xDrive30i and the platform is very good. Of the three, I vote BMW for performance and reliability.

If it makes a difference to you, the BMW is made in the US and the GLB is made in Mexico. Another vote for the BMW.

Last edited by chassis; 07-10-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Why no GLC43? Otherwise I'd go with the X3 or Model Y, personally not a fan of FWD-based crossovers especially if opting for a performance variant.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
@riv3rwrx Did you make a choice?