Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

My Overheating Engine Mystery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
My Overheating Engine Mystery

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can give me suggestions or point me to a direction to solve my problem.

Problem: I have a 1999 E320 AWD sedan that sits around 90C down the highway and after a few miles rockets toward 120C.

Things I've done: The coolant seemed at a good level for what that's worth. I ran a hose through the radiator so there does not seem to be obstruction there. I replaced the water pump and it still overheated. When I need to drive it, I crank up the heater and it either drops down to around 90C or does not go over.

A bit of history: the guy who sold it to me - for a relative bargain really - probably had this problem and that's the reason he replaced the fan. The fan is third party, it runs when it should, except for when it shuts off every time the car turns off.

I keep thinking there's an obstruction somewhere but I can't think of what to try next, so I need "another set of eyes" if possible.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:11 PM

Received 214 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
Have you checked the thermostat?