Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

48 Volt battery problem? Check in here.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 04:17 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 E450 All Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by bax2c
New to this forum, but have been reading for months now. I have a 2021 GLS580 and experienced our first 48 volt battery problem 2 months ago. Pulled into driveway (luckily) and ran inside for something, came back and would not start. Message indicating " Stop Vehicle See operators Manual". Had no idea what had happened and plugged in battery charger for two days and it indicated full charge. Still wouldn't start. Contacted dealer and was picked up by flatbed and taken in. Said it was a "major" software update necessary. 1 week later I receive the vehicle. Driving apprehensively two weeks later, traveling 50 mph, and sudden immediate loss of power and battery warning light flashed on display. Slowed to 10 mph and luckily no one was behind me. But suddenly light went off and power resumed. Towed again and another small software update and returned two days later. Scared to death to take this on any trip with pets, grandchildren etc.
Sorry to hear. I'm curious as to your build date and your mileage when the problem occurred. Was there any consideration to replacing the 48 volt?
Old 06-29-2022, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLS 580
Yes I failed to mention the build date is 3/21...... just like some others on here. Where I travel to our vacation home is small, back coastal roads, where a phone signal may not even work. Very concerned to take this vehicle there yet till I gain some confidence.

*1800 miles on this car when it happened......
Old 06-29-2022, 04:23 PM

2021 GLS 580
And dealer acted like he had not ever heard of the 48v battery concerns.
He actually has been very good from his end on the whole thing.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by bax2c
Yes I failed to mention the build date is 3/21...... just like some others on here. Where I travel to our vacation home is small, back coastal roads, where a phone signal may not even work. Very concerned to take this vehicle there yet till I gain some confidence.

*1800 miles on this car when it happened......
That's the build date on my E450 AT as well. I had the same failure at under 200 miles and again at under 800 miles; the dealer replaced the battery both times. I'm at 7,000 now with no further problems. Could a battery replacement be your answer?
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (09-19-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
E450 Coupe
The 48V battery in my 2021 E 450 died after I had the car 60 days. It was a nightmare getting the car towed. The dealer replaced the battery, but the car was in the shop for a full month while they waited for a replacement battery to come in. Fortunately (knock on wood), it's been nearly a year now since this happened and there have been no additional problems.
biker349 (09-19-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by donarizon
The 48V battery in my 2021 E 450 died after I had the car 60 days. It was a nightmare getting the car towed. The dealer replaced the battery, but the car was in the shop for a full month while they waited for a replacement battery to come in. Fortunately (knock on wood), it's been nearly a year now since this happened and there have been no additional problems.
I know that eary on in this sage a lot of owners had to wait a long time for replacement batteries, but my sense from monitoring this forum has been that MB has a better handle on the issue these days and that replacement batteries are more readily available. I only had to wait a day or two for my replacements to come in.
biker349 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 08:14 PM

2021 GLE450
Just had this happen in my 2021 GLE450. Drove the car in the afternoon, say 1PM, down the street to grab lunch, no issues whatsoever. 6PM we went out to the car and no crank, but all the lights came on and the "Stop car. See Owner's manual" warning. Dealership is closed but I will be calling first thing in the morning. Hoping it won't take too long to get a battery in.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by dondro
Just had this happen in my 2021 GLE450. Drove the car in the afternoon, say 1PM, down the street to grab lunch, no issues whatsoever. 6PM we went out to the car and no crank, but all the lights came on and the "Stop car. See Owner's manual" warning. Dealership is closed but I will be calling first thing in the morning. Hoping it won't take too long to get a battery in.
I am sorry to see this. Reports of this problem have dwindled down to almost 0 so far as I can tell. If I may ask, how long have you had your GLE450 and how many miles?
Old 09-08-2022, 07:18 AM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Longroof45
I am sorry to see this. Reports of this problem have dwindled down to almost 0 so far as I can tell. If I may ask, how long have you had your GLE450 and how many miles?
We picked it up in October 2021, so a little under a year, just under 25000km on it currently.

I had it towed into the dealer yesterday, but they have no loaners available so told me I had to get my own rental vehicle until they had a loaner come back, no ETA. Not happy about that but I need a car, so I called enterprise. Picked up my rental at 330PM, and 410PM my dealer called me to tell me my GLE was fixed!

Apparently Mercedes now has a TSB about the 48v battery issue and they have a fix, they told me they had to recommision the 48v battery, and reprogram the whole car. The advisor didn't have any more details than that and by the time I got there all the techs were gone anyway.

I'm glad they have a fix, hopefully it works long term and resolves the issue, I was worried that I would be waiting weeks for a battery only to wonder when the issue would come back, as I've read in other reports on this thread. Knock on wood!
Old 09-08-2022, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by dondro
We picked it up in October 2021, so a little under a year, just under 25000km on it currently.

I had it towed into the dealer yesterday, but they have no loaners available so told me I had to get my own rental vehicle until they had a loaner come back, no ETA. Not happy about that but I need a car, so I called enterprise. Picked up my rental at 330PM, and 410PM my dealer called me to tell me my GLE was fixed!

Apparently Mercedes now has a TSB about the 48v battery issue and they have a fix, they told me they had to recommision the 48v battery, and reprogram the whole car. The advisor didn't have any more details than that and by the time I got there all the techs were gone anyway.

I'm glad they have a fix, hopefully it works long term and resolves the issue, I was worried that I would be waiting weeks for a battery only to wonder when the issue would come back, as I've read in other reports on this thread. Knock on wood!
Thanks for the detailed response. The bad news is that it happened at all, let alone at 25,000 km (which I would have thought would have been safe, since most of the 48 volt battery failures seemed to occur at very low mileage). I actually had two battery failures (and replacements) withiin the first 1,000 miles and was starting to feel that my car is now out of the woods. Of course, the good news is that they now have a quick fix that doesn't involve having to replace the battery. BTW, my car is a 2021 E450 wagon. Please let us know if you learn more about the fix.
biker349 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E450 4Matic
2022 E450 Cabriolet 4Matic 48V battery warning, Coolant too hot warning

My car is almost a year old and only has 3,800 miles We were 10 min into our 4 hour drive and the 48v battery warning message came on. My husband pulled over and the message went away. Started driving again, the message came back on and the car would not accelerate. Then the “Coolant too hot. Stop vehicle, turn vehicle off” warning came on. We turned the car off for a bit and then drove it back home. Thankfully we were less than a mile home and not on the highway when this happened. I’ll take it to the dealership on Monday.

Last edited by ttdubs; 09-17-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ttdubs
My car is almost a year old and only has 3,800 miles We were 10 min into our 4 hour drive and the 48v battery warning message came on. My husband pulled over and the message went away. Started driving again, the message came back on and the car would not accelerate. Then the “Coolant too hot. Stop vehicle, turn vehicle off” warning came on. We turned the car off for a bit and then drove it back home. Thankfully we were less than a mile home and not on the highway when this happened. I’ll take it to the dealership on Monday.
Sorry to hear this, I was hopiing that the 48v battery issues was behind us with MY21. Please keep us posted on the diagnosis and fix. Thanks.
biker349 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 06:11 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
My car is almost a year old and only has 3,800 miles We were 10 min into our 4 hour drive and the 48v battery warning message came on. .
Prior to your drive, was were the batteries charged up well or had you taken short drives or had the car sitting for a while?
jtjbt20x (09-17-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 07:23 AM

E450 4Matic
Originally Posted by slk55er
Prior to your drive, was were the batteries charged up well or had you taken short drives or had the car sitting for a while?
I usually only take my car out for short drives around the city. I took it out two days prior and it was fine.
biker349 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 12:16 PM

I usually only take my car out for short drives around the city. I took it out two days prior and it was fine.
You have to keep the batteries charged using a trickle charger almost nightly or a full sized charger every week or so if you are taking short trips. Here's one of my posts on the GLE53/GLE63 forum:

I've used 4-5 Schumacher trickle chargers over the past few decades. Thankfully, just a normal 12-volt charger will work cause with our 53 series we do not directly charge the lithium battery. I don't know if the current 63 series is the same. (As I recall, my CLS63S had only a normal 12-volt battery.) With our 53s we charge the normal 12-volt battery via the connections under the hood and the electronics charge the Li battery. (Li batteries require a special charger which does not overcharge and overheat the battery.) If I were buying a charger now, I'd get the one shown via the link below 'cause for a few extra bucks, it does have a 10-amp charge in addition to the trickle maintainer charge. Rather than use a trickle charger you could also use a larger charger once a week or so. I think a lot of problems with the EQ Boost systems can be mitigated by keeping the battery charged. Thankfully, I've had zero problems with my 53s. Here's a link but you can also check with your local parts store which has one that should work just fine.

Amazon Amazon
biker349 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 07:13 PM

2022 AMG E53
I have a 2022 E53. Last friday i went shopping, came back to the car and it wouldnt start. Got the "48 V Battery See Operator's Manual" message on the dash. I was not expecting it. I closed the error, tried starting it again and it worked. In the last 5 times that i have started it after the failure, it has worked with no errors or problems. Do you folks think i should take it to the dealership even when the error is no longer showing or can they reproduce it?
Old 09-20-2022, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by thunderblurr
I have a 2022 E53. Last friday i went shopping, came back to the car and it wouldnt start. Got the "48 V Battery See Operator's Manual" message on the dash. I was not expecting it. I closed the error, tried starting it again and it worked. In the last 5 times that i have started it after the failure, it has worked with no errors or problems. Do you folks think i should take it to the dealership even when the error is no longer showing or can they reproduce it?
Suggest you completely charge the 12v battery with a full-size charger (not just a trickle charger.) It may take 4-5 hours or more and that will charge the 48v battery. Then if the problem occurs again, take it to the dealer. Keep those batteries charged.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:08 AM

E53 AMG
Happened to me yesterday. Driving down the highway for a couple of hours and the 48V battery error pops up followed by the overheating warning and then shut down. I waited 10 minutes and re-started the car and was able to drive home. The engine light is on and will take to the dealership today. 2021 E53 AMG with 13,000 KM. Bought new in March 2022.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:54 PM

E53 AMG
An update on my situation. Dealership called and did some software updating. They said it could happen again and if it does they need to get instructions from Mercedes corporate before any next steps are taken.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:24 PM

GLS 450
Battery has died 3 times!

I have a 2021 GLS 450. Within a month of getting the car, the battery died and had to be towed. It is crazy that the vehicle cannot be jumped or put in neutral when this occur. It died in my garage and getting a flatbed tow truck in there proved to be quite an ordeal.
Approximately a year later, the battery died again in a store parking lot. Tow truck came again. One month later, it happened yet again back in a narrow alley. All told, my vehicle has been in the shop for around 30-40 days with no fix in site.
This is beyond frustrating. The company should be very embarrassed and apologetic, but I have yet to see them fully address. I have no idea when I'll get this car back.
the_x167BLUES (01-30-2023)
Old 09-26-2022, 11:04 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Lemon-law it.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by sfmercedesguy
I have a 2021 GLS 450. Within a month of getting the car, the battery died and had to be towed. It is crazy that the vehicle cannot be jumped or put in neutral when this occur. It died in my garage and getting a flatbed tow truck in there proved to be quite an ordeal.
Approximately a year later, the battery died again in a store parking lot. Tow truck came again. One month later, it happened yet again back in a narrow alley. All told, my vehicle has been in the shop for around 30-40 days with no fix in site.
This is beyond frustrating. The company should be very embarrassed and apologetic, but I have yet to see them fully address. I have no idea when I'll get this car back.
That''s a pretty outrageous scenario you're describing. I'm sure "frustrating" doesn't even come close to describing how you feel. What was your mileage at each of the breakdowns, and how has your dealership handled the problem? Also, it's been suggested on this forum that a car used for a lot of short trips is prone to battery failure. Does that apply to you? I had similar problems with my '21 All Terrain and the dealer replaced the 48v battery twice. Fingers crossed but the car now has nearly 9,000 miles on it without further incident (but, of course, once burned it's hard to have real confidence in the car or in MB's handling of the problem).

By the way, it is possible to get the car in neutral with a dead 48v battery, but it's tricky. There's a more detailed discussion of that somewhere in this forum, but Roadside has accomplished it for me twice now by continuously jiggling the shifter back and forth (and in each case they had a charger attached to the 12v battery). Once the car is in neutral, the driver's door cannot be opened, or the car will revert to park. In both of my cases, one person remained in the car once neutral was achieved, while the other operated the winch.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,963 Likes on 3,116 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sfmercedesguy
@sfmercedesguy Sorry to hear. Post this in the X167 so the large group of owners that have experienced this can suggest how you can manage the dealer for the best outcome for you.
the_x167BLUES (01-30-2023)
Old 09-29-2022, 09:40 PM

Chassis, not a bad idea but, respectfully, I think this issue goes beyond model lines. All of the EQ Boosted E Class models are affected by this. The descriptions I've read include just about every model in that class. The stories are all very similar.
chassis (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 10:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,963 Likes on 3,116 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Longroof45
Chassis, not a bad idea but, respectfully, I think this issue goes beyond model lines. All of the EQ Boosted E Class models are affected by this. The descriptions I've read include just about every model in that class. The stories are all very similar.
Fully agree. I see no difference of views here. Do you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 48 Volt battery problem? Check in here.