Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

C63s Overheating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c63 S amg
C63s Overheating

Hello, so I was doing a pull from 3rd gear around 5.5k rpm, floored the car and it shifted to 4th gear. I quickly I look back a notice smoke coming from behind the car it was light smoking nothing intense. And then I realized the temps were very high. No co9lant leaks or coolant spillage on the floor the coolant it full. Any ideas what caused the car to over heat and smoke?

photo below<<<<<<<

Last edited by stock_c63s; 08-01-2024 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2019 C63CS
None of what you see on that screen is the coolant temperature. The left shows the engine oil temperature and the right shows the transmission oil temperature. The engine oil temperature is not unusually high for aggressive driving, but the transmission seems a bit high. Neither is overheating, though. A common cause of high transmission oil temperature is a punctured oil cooler radiator. What year is your car? The PFL models don't have protective mesh over the front radiators, so it's very common for rocks to puncture the radiators. The 2019+ models have protective mesh on it to eliminate/minimize punctures.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-01-2024 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c63 S amg
Hey, the car is 2017 c63s but I don’t see any rock chips or anything leaking, the coolant and everything stays the same, also what was the smoke from?
Old 08-01-2024, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by stock_c63s
Hey, the car is 2017 c63s but I don’t see any rock chips or anything leaking, the coolant and everything stays the same, also what was the smoke from?
The people who've had punctured radiators didn't have visible leaks. The only indicator was high transmission temperatures. You'll have to do a pressure test. Smoke could be oil leaking onto the exhaust. Could be a small leak and since oil is very viscous, small oil leaks tend to only leak under pressure and/or when the oil is hot, so when the car is parked you may not see an actual leak. Even a coolant leak can be very small to the point where you don't notice coolant disappearing for a while and a pressure test is needed to detect the leak, but as said, none of those gauges in your picture even show coolant temperature. Having said that, a pressure test is not foolproof, either, as if the leak is too small it may not be detected.

One possible source of an oil leak is the rear main oil seal, although so far there's only been one reported case on a C63. It's a wider spread issue on the E63 and G63, but the seal is in the back of the engine above the exhaust if I remember correctly, so oil would drop on the hot exhaust.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...art-trans.html

Last edited by superswiss; 08-01-2024 at 10:22 PM.