Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Lemon's-An unaswerable ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Sport Wagon
Question Lemon's-An unaswerable ?

The majority of the model threads on this and related sites obviously contain "lemon complaints" & associated dealer horror shows. Just wondering a) is there a genuine MB downward quality trend, b) is the ratio of "lemons" to trouble frees manufactured by MB above, at, or below average and c) has the former customer reactive attitude of MBUSA and associated dealer network taken a negative turn? Just wondering. Personally, I have owned three MB's over the years and in each case have been pleased with the vehicles and the dealer support. I would hope this experience is not atypical.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Re: Lemon's-An unaswerable ?

Originally posted by CHECKMATE
The majority of the model threads on this and related sites obviously contain "lemon complaints" & associated dealer horror shows. Just wondering a) is there a genuine MB downward quality trend, b) is the ratio of "lemons" to trouble frees manufactured by MB above, at, or below average and c) has the former customer reactive attitude of MBUSA and associated dealer network taken a negative turn? Just wondering. Personally, I have owned three MB's over the years and in each case have been pleased with the vehicles and the dealer support. I would hope this experience is not atypical.
A) MB has slipped in recent years on quality surveys. Here is a survey from JD Powers which shows MB at #10, 129 problems per 100 cars. http://clarkhoward.com/topics/car_quality_list.html
Even though their rating has slipped (I forget what it was before), it is still well above the industry average which is around #19 or 147 problems per 100 cars.

B) Based on the information above, I would say that they are blow average on the ratio of Lemons to Non-Lemons (not necessarily trouble-free). I don't have any actual data to support this.

C) I can only answer this based on my own experience, plus what I've read on this board which I do not believe would be an accurate sample to make this determination. For the record, I had a very pleasant experience in the purchase of my car. I have not yet had to bring it in for any kind of service (5 months old), so I do not have a personal opinion of the service department.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:21 PM

C320 Sport Wagon
Thanks

About what I expected-based on highly unscientific analysis. So far so good with my 320C.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:16 AM

2001 CLK 320
Lemons

Also, bear in mind that a board of enthusiasts is going to be far more particular than the average owner. Things that drive us crazy would go unnoticed for others.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:38 AM

C320 Sport Wagon
Agree-what drove this query was a friends 2001 240C which at about 6000 went lemon to the extent that MB is buying back the car.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 CLK320 Blk/Blk with stupid options that are not used like sunshade
MY POS 320 CLK LEMON was made by people smoking crack on the job.
I've HAD IT with MB.
I was lured in by the styling and the badge, but the quality and the times I've had to get my lemon CLK fixed have made me believe that I NEVER want another MB for the rest of my life. And I'm incredibly determined to convince EVERYONE I know to NOT buy one as well.
From having my check engine light on 20% of the time, to repeatedly fixing things that were ALREADY FIXED, to a $500 oil change/wiper fluid fill (called a 20K service), to belt problems that DIDN'T set off the check engine light, MY CLK HAS BEEN ONE BIG POS. I have never had a more troublesome car in my life, even my old ugly high school car 2 decades ago was not as bad as this "luxury coupe". I thought I was getting a MB, I was wrong. I got a GODDAM CHRYSLER POS.
To reply in one phrase:
"Yes, MB quality and service is a POS, just like my POS CLK"
Old 06-25-2002, 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by willworkforfood
MY POS 320 CLK LEMON was made by people smoking crack on the job.
I've HAD IT with MB.
I was lured in by the styling and the badge, but the quality and the times I've had to get my lemon CLK fixed have made me believe that I NEVER want another MB for the rest of my life. And I'm incredibly determined to convince EVERYONE I know to NOT buy one as well.
From having my check engine light on 20% of the time, to repeatedly fixing things that were ALREADY FIXED, to a $500 oil change/wiper fluid fill (called a 20K service), to belt problems that DIDN'T set off the check engine light, MY CLK HAS BEEN ONE BIG POS. I have never had a more troublesome car in my life, even my old ugly high school car 2 decades ago was not as bad as this "luxury coupe". I thought I was getting a MB, I was wrong. I got a GODDAM CHRYSLER POS.
To reply in one phrase:
"Yes, MB quality and service is a POS, just like my POS CLK"
Sorry to hear that you had some problems (too many) with your car, and I can't blame you for your attitude towards MB. But it's wrong to try and convince everyone that ALL Mbs will be similar to yours. I have had problems with Ford in the past, and I doubt that I will ever buy another one, but I would not go as far as saying that every Ford is a POS. There are many many MB owners out there, myself included, that have not had any problems what so ever. I personally have owned two MBs, and I know people that have owned multiple MBs that have not had any problems. Do some MBs make it through production that end up being Lemons? Sure. But I would say that this is the exception and not the norm. I hope whatever car you choose next will work out better for you.