GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Just drove a GL450!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500, 05 Range Rover, 00 Landcruiser
Just drove a GL450!!!

I had a chance to spend some time driving and evaluating the new GL450. I am thinking about replacing my 2004 Range Rover with something that has more seats and bigger space. Evaluations to follow.........cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Just drove a GL450!!!-dsc05412.jpg  
Old 04-07-2006, 07:35 PM

Ok here are my 0.02 cents.

Looks In and Out
This thing looks good, although I wish it doesn't resemble the old ML class in several angles. The headlights should have been better than that as it reminds me of the LS430 headlights. Overall, it has presence on the road. Inside, it has good commanding view of the road all around. Theres 2 sunroofs but the one at the back cannot be open.

Size/Accomodations:
It is big, but I think my Landcruiser is bigger inside. Good front seats and bolsters (part of premium pack). The second row backrest seems too straight up at its default position. You have to incline (after you fold it) it a little for good posture. Third row barely fits me (I'm 6'0) and my knees without adjusting the 2nd row backrest forward, which the second row passengers will not allow. 2nd row seats don't have rollers/rails for forward adjustment (Q7 has this feature). But anybody below 5'5" should fit well. The headrest has to be push down and pull up everytime you fold and unfold the 2nd rows, which is annoying.

Drive/Ride:
Engine power is more than adequate. Very quiet too. The ride is prety good for an SUV. I ran over and over again on some bad roads and rail crossings and the air suspension really works great. I never had a chance to adjust the suspension setup (Auto, Comfort, Dynamic) because we don't know how. Theres no push button or toggle for this feature. This one has the off road package which allows it to be raise few more inches and 19in wheels. The steering feels accurate and the handling is not bad for this size. It feels lighter than it should. No more sensotronic brakes which is hard to modulate.

DVD/CD entertainment
The DVD player is under the 2nd row seats. One CD and the DVD NAV is behind the command screen which opens up with a push of a button. The remaining 6 CDs are buried int he glovebox compartment (why??). The 2 headrest screens can play the same DVD movie or you can attach another portable DVD or playstation on the other screen via aux input so two different programs can be watch at the same time. Theres also an Ipod connector via mini-plug.

Logic 7:
This stereo sound system might be good for some but its not enough for me. Clarity is still not there compare to Mark Levinson.

Others:
Power folding 3rd row seats and power open and close of rear gate a plus. Changing gears P R N D can be done on the lever on the right side of the streering. Removing the keys automatically puts it in Park P. Selecting any of the gears in between can be also be done using the toglle switch behind the steering.

Price:
Estimated price is 68,000 for this particular one so forget about the 59,000 as it is just bare bones. Loaded with premium package, off road package and some other minor goodies. ( I have the list).

I will wait for the Audi Q7 demo at the end of this month before I can make a decision.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 PM

2003 BMW 745li
How did the ride compare to your Range Rover? I'm curious because I recently drove a 2006 Range Rover and was very impressed.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
good review! I went a to a car show last week and sat in a GL and was impressed with the roominess and quality of the interior, and it also said 4matic on the rear hatch like the one you test drove. MB SUV's have never said 4Matic on them, I wonder why the GL does?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
All 07 Model SUVs and other 4Matics

vehicles will be equipped with the badge going forward...
Old 04-08-2006, 11:30 AM

Few more pics...
Attached Thumbnails Just drove a GL450!!!-1.jpg   Just drove a GL450!!!-2.jpg   Just drove a GL450!!!-3.jpg   Just drove a GL450!!!-4.jpg  
Old 04-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by HPchick
How did the ride compare to your Range Rover? I'm curious because I recently drove a 2006 Range Rover and was very impressed.

My Range Rover has the 20 in wheels so it seems like it rides stiffer than the GL450. But it is still one an impressive ride.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
WOW, thanks for the report and pics. It looks good enough to really have replaced the original G from some angles. Mercedes should price this thing at 56K and watch them soar out of dealerships all over the country, but still even at 58K (which is what Autoweek said a few weeks back) it is in line with the competition, but with the Benz options 70K isn't out of the question.

M
Old 04-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
I agree with hcden with his assessment.

I took my c wagon in to get the studded tires changed and saw the GL sitting there so I asked if I could take it out. It had 50 miles on it.

A few other things I noticed were related to the cold weather mostly. Even though the seats were heated, the steering wheel was not in the GL I drove. The wheel is leather lined in the bottom half, but wood laminate on the top half (right where your hands should be when driving a car with an airbag). The temp was 37 deg F and my hands were like blocks of ice. If you are in a cold climate, get the heated steering wheel option.

The 4matic is great, but lacks the C/S setting that is common in the C-, E-, and S-Class version. This feature would be interesting to test on the snow and ice where the "C" setting makes the car completely gutless so the tires can't spin on the ice so easily.

I found the engine to be strong across at all speeds to 80mph. I didn't take it faster since I didn't want to hammer a new engine. It had good acceleration the few times I gave it some gas.

The car felt very well balanced and manueverability was good to great. It seemed to wash a little wide around corners, so I keep stepping on the lines of the road trying to keep from drifting into the next lane. The braking is awesome. I heard the discs are like 14 inch so it comes down from speed very quickly.

The sun roof in the back brightened up the interior so it isn't so dark in the back. The rear window is smaller than I expected and the rear wiper doesn't span the whole back window like my c wagon does.

The airmatic looked like something that I didn't want to try to figure out while I was driving so I didn't mess with it. I recommend spending 10-15 minutes before leaving the parking lot getting the salesman to educate you on the bells and whistles.

Overall, this is a very nice ride and I'm looking at it to replace my wife's Sequoia. I like the Sequoia, but the 4 wheel/traction control has issues (my wife prefers my 4matic wagon over it) and the braking is weaker than I like. I don't think I am brave enough to have a 1st year model of a new product, but I would consider it in year two or three of production.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

'05 C55 AMG '15 Jeep SRT '11 G37S
A couple of EXCELLENT reviews there guys! I can't wait to take one out for a spin.......